favorite live dvd's or videos?

Started by sweatboard, Dec 20, 2004, 06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

1. Pearl Jam - Live at Madison Square Garden (PJ is one of only 4 bands in the world to ever make the concrete foundation of the Garden shake, this was one of thier best shows from the 2004 tour, awesome duet with Ben Harper on Indifferenc, a version of In My Tree that gives me chills every time,to many amazing moments to mention.)
2. REM - A Perfect Square (I've got to say I think Michael Stipe is the best front man of all time, this is him at his best, beautiful atmosphere, awesome crowd, wonderfuly filmed)
3.  Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Live at Slane Castle (John Frusciante is a GOD!!!! I love the location, and the show was extremely well shot, except for the cheesy panorama Matrix style shots of Anthony Keidis jumping.  I love how the show starts at dusk and finishes in complete darkness, the REM film is the same.
4. The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight (Arguably the best live rock and roll band of all time, I had a hard time picking my jaw up off the floor watching Townsend and Moon play off each other, the other two guys are pretty fucking good to)
5. Led Zepplin - How the West Was Won (Ok this one should probably be #1 if you don't think The Who is the best live rock and roll band of all time than you must think it's Led Zepplin.  Im not sure which one is more fortunate for the other ones talents Jimmy Page or the Gibson Les Paul.  That guitar melts into his body, it's mind blowing)
There's Still Time.........

Jellyfish

Pink floyd Live at Pompeii
Pink Floyd The Wall
The Grateful Dead Closing of Winterland
The Grateful Dead Movie
Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps
Primus Hallucino-Genetics live 2004
Roger Waters In The Flesh
Neil Young Greendale The Movie
The Last Waltz

...just to name a few.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

antoniostrohs

Once again a few old school choices in no particular order.

The Last Waltz        The Band
Rust Never Sleeps     Neil Young
Stop Making Sense      Talking Heads
Baby Snakes           Frank Zappa
Gimme Shelter         The Rolling Stones
Secret World Live     Peter Gabriel
Some Kind of Monster  Metallica
Don't Look Back       Bob Dylan
How the west was Won    Led Zeppelin
Woodstock(1970)
Monterey Pop Festival

Oz

QuoteOnce again a few old school choices in no particular order.

Gimme Shelter         The Rolling Stones
Some Kind of Monster  Metallica

Aren't those more than just live video's? Sure, there's live music in it, but I don't know if the rules aren't stricter than that. :)
I'm ready when you are

antoniostrohs

You're so right.So excuse me for breaking the rules! I no they are documentaries.I realize they probably should have gone in a different thread. But they do have some great live footage in them also.So apologize O if I somehow broke the strictly enforced thread rule here.I'll try do better.Thank you for your patience.

Oz

QuoteYou're so right.So excuse me for breaking the rules! I no they are documentaries.I realize they probably should have gone in a different thread. But they do have some great live footage in them also.So apologize O if I somehow broke the strictly enforced thread rule here.I'll try do better.Thank you for your patience.

Hehe... Not at all, I should have kept my mouth shut. :)
I'm ready when you are

Oz

It's mainly that in fact I didn't even really know there was live footage in the Metallica doc, I thought it was mainly them being filmed while making an album and going in and out of rehab. :)
I'm ready when you are

antoniostrohs

There is some early live footage of the band and some recent concert stuff as they give us a little history.It also shows the band playing in the studio.You are right it is mainly a doc.But an extremely well done doc,that shows how hard it is to keep a band together with members fighting their own demons as well as each other.I found it very interesting and I'm not even a Metallica fan.

dogandponyshow

Led Zeppelin.....2003...that's the way is awesome
Oasis.....Familiar to Millions
U2.....Elevation Tour...the cinematography is incredible
All the Grateful Dead DVD's
All the Guided By Voices DVD's
Depeche Mode....One Night in Paris
Todd Rundgren...Live in Japan
Judas Priest....Electric Eye
Ac/Dc......Stiff Upper Lip Live
Rush....Rush in Rio

D.

SmoothOprtr

The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Coltrane

--"Songs for Cassavettes"--about a bunch of indie bands in the late 90's and their devotion to stay inide...fascinating...the performances are interesting

--"I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" Wilco-- absolutely essential!!!!

--"The Kids Are Alright (The Who)"-- performances from all over..and Keith Moon and Ringo Starr completely drunk on camera....enough said.

--Pavement's "Slow Century"

--The Pixies dvd....great early live show

--"Single Video Theory" Pearl Jam--great look at how some great songs came to be

--Does the "Pamela and Tommy Lee" video count?....nevermind

....of course it counts!!!!!! they have a radio on the boat..duh!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

sweatboard

Nice list Coltrane.  I didn't know Wilco had a live dvd, I'll have to check that out. I've been wanting to get the Pavement video for a long time.  Single Video Theory is a great one, a very intimate look at the band.  I like the part in SVT when Eddie is trying to get Mike to use the E-bow on Wishlist.  It' also cool that even though they are making millions at the time of the video they pull up to the Studio in some shit ass cars and Jeff pulls up on a frigging Bike.

sweatboard

oh, I've heard that Muse and The Rapture both have live dvd's but I've never seen them anywhere.  Does anyone know if these are in fact out there?

Coltrane

yeah, the Wilco DVD is just a great documentary, folling the band during the making of "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and the record company chaos that ensued. But it has some great full band performances with and without Jay Bennett. and some solo Jeff Tweedy stuff that is great!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

marktwain

A couple of really good ones that no one has mentioned:

Instrument (Fugazi) - I declare this DVD to be... AWESOME!
Down from the Mountain (the artists from the O Brother soundtrack) - look at the lineup, of course it's good!

And I still haven't seen Festival Express, but I know it's gonna be groovy. :)

EC

Oh so do I!  Maybe next week I'll see Life Aquatic AND Festival Express all in one day.  

No.  No.  I can't.  It's too much.  

ben grimm

The Filth and The Fury the pistols biog was great too.
Live Rust anyone?

CC

just saw Festival Express... It's got Rick Danko, Janis Joplin and Jerry Garcia jammin together, stoned out of their heads, so YES, it's groovy! ;D

Jellyfish

Quotejust saw Festival Express... It's got Rick Danko, Janis Joplin and Jerry Garcia jammin together, stoned out of their heads, so YES, it's groovy!  

Yeah...what about that extra stuff with the two Pigpen songs.....priceless. ;)

The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Sal Paradise

- Jimi Plays Monterey / Shake! Otis At Monterey

So good it drives me crazy!

- The Last Waltz

Will never stop watching this

- Neil Young: Rust Never Sleeps / Year Of The Horse

Love em both

- Elvis: 68 Comeback Special

GOTTA love it
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing