Jim James in "I'm Not There"

Started by folieadeux322, Mar 25, 2008, 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

folieadeux322

The part in the movie I'm Not There where they are playing Jim's awesome version of Goin' to Acapulco there is a guy whole looks like Jim James singing. It is hard to tell because he is wearing face paint. I checked IMDB and they don't list him as an actor in it.

Is it him, or not?

Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me...

folieadeux322

Actually the more and more I see it I'm pretty sure it's him.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

tomEisenbraun

He's probably listed in the credits as Jim Olliges.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Bigsky

Here you go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_James

"James recently played the role of the Band Leader in the Bob Dylan biopic I'm Not There singing the song "Going to Acapulco" which was also featured on the soundtrack of the movie."

tomEisenbraun

Grudge

Nice, one more reason to see that movie !!!

brentnc

that was a great scene...actually probably the best in the whole flick. but brace yourself that movie is one hard watch. no entertainment factor with nothing even close to a coherent narrative. i think it was overated because people wanted to make themselves look smart by praising it.

anyway sorry for the rant and negativity. just as a huge movie buff I can't think of a movie I have seen in the theater that I have enjoyed less in years.

huge Dylan fan too by the way.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ManNamedTruth

Quotehttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0013D8L7C/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

2 Disc Special Edition due May 6!!!

so how was this movie? like if jim james wasn't in it would it still be a good movie?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

I haven't seen it yet. aMD liked it I think, maybe check the movie thread, I seem to remember a couple of members posting comments...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

DaFunkyPrecedent

regardless...just something to add to my dylan collection.  I wanted to see it, but it didn't come to flagstaff.  Its out on DVD ya?
God damn those shaky knees.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMD

I liked the movie but I am WAY into dylan.  oh, and that jim james fella.  i don't really think I would've gotten anything out of the movie but the wonderful soundtrack if I didn't know anything about dylan though.  It's like you had to be in on the joke, though there were parts of the movie that didn't make a great deal of sense to me either (Jim's scene being one).

I liked the approach the film took for two reasons 1) it wasn't your run-of-the-mill biopic like ray or walk the line with a love interest and blah blah 2) it represented dylan as an actor playing a character who's acting like someone else, which as most dylan fans will tell you, is what the "real" bob is like.  he never lets you in on what he thinks he only finds ways to question what you thought you knew.  a film that tried to tell the "true story" of bob dylan would've, by design, been insincere.  all we know of dylan is what he says and does and that's what this movie showed us.  Most if not all of the dialogue was taken from interviews, conversations, or songs of Bob Dylan.  The concept of the film was an A+ but I give the execution a B because of some needless confusing scenes.  

Sorry for the length, but I get verbose when it comes to dylan.

dragonboy

QuoteI liked the approach the film took for two reasons 1) it wasn't your run-of-the-mill biopic like ray or walk the line
and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story?  ;)

Cheers aMD, I enjoyed reading that. I've pre-ordered the DVD & am looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully the 2 disc special edition will have some good extras...an interview with Jim on what Dylan means to him? I doubt it but we can live in hope...

tomEisenbraun

Sorry for the length, but I get verbose when it comes to dylan.

;)

sweatboard

I got Bob Dylan- Self Titled tonight on Vinyl.  I just gave it a spin, it's funny how I used to think Dylan wasn't a very good singer.  S/T is one of the greates vocal performances ever recorded.  Just listen to Freight Train Blues for a good example, man this record is perfect.  It's mostly covers but the choices and placement of the songs on this record make it insanly genius.  Don't get me started on the performance of each song..........gkhroihewirgjnas!  :)

I think I'm about ready to see "I'm Not There"

I watched "No Direction Home" a couple of weeks ago.  Great, Great film.  Very good look at Dylan.
There's Still Time.........

folieadeux322

QuoteSteve is DUMB!

Tell your mom I said to lock the computer so her dead beat son can't access it while she's at work.

:P