Warning: this post includes jazz

Started by Gripe, Mar 30, 2005, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gripe

I don't know how you folks feel about jazz, but I think it can sparkle like a laundered serving spoon. I came across this little computer animation thing that is timed to John Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps. Pretty neat, pretty neat...pretty good, pretty good.

Check it out if you're so inclined:  http://michalevy.com/gs_download.html

EC

That is totally crazy and really, really fun.  Man.

Also, your subject line is terrific.  

Also, I know two other Mike Levy's.  And they're all really cool.

God, how can you even come UP with something like that?  Are you able to keep it all in your brain without your head exploding?  

lfish

Wow that title scared me to death.  ;)

Jazz is cool.
lfish

Gripe

QuoteThat is totally crazy and really, really fun.  Man.

Also, your subject line is terrific.  

Also, I know two other Mike Levy's.  And they're all really cool.

God, how can you even come UP with something like that?  Are you able to keep it all in your brain without your head exploding?  

I assume you're using the universal "you", because I unfortunately didn't have anything to do with the making of the animation - I just found it in my online travels.

I agree with the head exploding part. There are a hell of a lot of notes in there, and they each have their own graphic.
Very, very impressive.

EC

QuoteI assume you're using the universal "you", because I unfortunately didn't have anything to do with the making of the animation - I just found it in my online travels.

Yes, to clarify, I did mean the Universal "you".  :)

marktwain

EC

Wow.  That's a gorgeous book.  Do you own it, tundra?

Every time I listen to Coltrane, I'm always happy I did, and yet, it's rare that I put him on.  Not sure why.

marktwain

QuoteWow.  That's a gorgeous book.  Do you own it, tundra?

No, just check it out frequently.  Raschka (the author) has another one called _Charlie Parker played Be Bop_ that Abe likes better, though.

EC

No, just check it out frequently.  Raschka (the author) has another one called _Charlie Parker played Be Bop_ that Abe likes better, though.

Abe likes books, or he likes the music?  Abe sounds pretty damn cool.  

marktwain

He's just starting to get into books - he'll find one and start flipping pages, and he likes to hear us read.

But Abe's always been a big fan of music.  Grandma bought him a teddy that plays 'Imagine', and when he was about 3-4 mos, that was all that kept him from crying sometimes.  Favorite lullabyes for daddy to sing are 'Edelweiss' and 'old sept. blues'.  He loves to watch people play guitar, but he and I have been working together on his drumming skills.  ;D

whothrewthecake

sounds like one cool baby. that reminds me of these baby albums of beatles songs we got for some family friends called "baby road" (complete with diaper-clad babies crossing the street) and "white album" (white with a simple diaper on the cover. nuff said.) my personal favorite album we got them though was "the bottle let me down," an album of country songs set to lullaby-ish music. cracks me up.

EC

(wttc, you stil haven't posted about levon...  I really want to know!)

tundra, you sing eidelweiss and olde sept. blues to your kid?  That made me a little teary here at work.  My Dad used to sing rhinestone cowboy and old bob wills songs.  It's nice when Dads sing.

whothrewthecake

Quote(wttc, you stil haven't posted about levon... ÊI really want to know!)

EC, levon was AMAZING. the other bands were awesome as well, but levon was honestly the most wonderful thing i have ever seen. i have been meaning to post, but my internet is down, and i only get spurts here and there. basically, he sang on 3 songs, and sounded just like his old self. it was pretty incredible since he had throat cancer pretty recently. he played "don't ya tell henry"  with his mandolin and we all freaked out. even the woodstock locals that go to his rambles often were freaking out! one of the best musical nights of my life. the town of woodstock is unbelievable, too. covered in snow, friendly folks.  i fully encourage everyone to attend one at some point. loved it!

EC

EC, levon was AMAZING. the other bands were awesome as well, but levon was honestly the most wonderful thing i have ever seen. i have been meaning to post, but my internet is down, and i only get spurts here and there. basically, he sang on 3 songs, and sounded just like his old self. it was pretty incredible since he had throat cancer pretty recently. he played "don't ya tell henry"  with his mandolin and we all freaked out. even the woodstock locals that go to his rambles often were freaking out! one of the best musical nights of my life. the town of woodstock is unbelievable, too. covered in snow, friendly folks.  i fully encourage everyone to attend one at some point. loved it!

Yaaaayyyy!!  That sounds sexcellent, indeed.  I'm glad to hear he's sounding okay, poor old guy.  

That is definitely one of the things I'd like to do at some point.  Hmmmm perhaps on an upcoming road trip...  ;)

marktwain

Thanks for the baby compliments.  I like him. ;)

Now I really want to go to Woodstock.  I'm hoping to go to upstate NY in August.  Maybe I can shoot across to see Levon...

I finally got that uncut magazine with the cd of artists inspired by The Band.  It talks about Garth Hudson joining Wilco onstage at last year's Newport Folk Festival. I would have swooned.