Rainbow in the Dark

Started by johnconaway, May 31, 2005, 08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

true story:  Went to bury my dad's ashes this Saturday.

I'm driving in southwestern Pennsylvania at dusk.  There is a large storm approaching from the northwest.  The clouds are as black as coal ash swimming in crude oil.

I'm going due east on I-70.  The clouds have just about passed me on the left.  As I turn around a large hill, suddenly there is a beautiful, blaring rainbow affixed on top of the inky black clouds.  I count it as one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

After I reach my destination and visit for a few hours, I'm driving back to where I'm staying on some very dark and twisty country roads.  The weather was bizarre, very cool and foggy for a late May evening.  My car's headlight is slightly bent downwards, so my visibility is limited to a few feet in front of me.  Adding insult to injury, I'm not wearing my prescription glasses (forgot them at home) Luckily I know these back roads very well...a visitor to these parts would almost certainly get lost or worse.  The fog is so thick I can hardly see.

Blaring on my stereo is "Steam Engine".  It seemed the most appropriate soundtrack for driving lonely on a creepy, wet, fog covered country road at night.  I got lost in the "edahdoedahdo" at the end;  it almost hyponitzed me into a trance...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

antoniostrohs

Beautiful story John,It definitely was something very spiritual.Glad you found your way home through the fog.

SMc55

The rainbow sounds beautiful, in fact the whole experience sounds amazing - something to remember for a long time.

CC

that's awesome.
at times like these you feel like you're in another world.

Chills

That's great, music can do that sometimes...

I always thought Steam Engine was a song best listened to in a natural environment, it just feels great

EC

And now you'll always remember that.  Isn't that amazing.  Wow John.  :)

inertiatic_jpc

that kinda story really makes me want to go to America even more than i already did. which i didn't think was possible.

truly inspiring

Gripe

I quite liked that post, johnconaway. Very well put. I recently had a similar experience involving an elevated location with a 360 degree view of mountains and the valley between them, lush green fields and a twisted rope of a river, all sharing the spotlight thanks to shafts of sunlight so seemingly well-placed as to make an atheist blush. I just didn't know what to do with myself. You know those moments when you know that words are a completely inferior and utterly limited mode of expression but, being so accustomed to using them, you feel the need to say, "Fuuuuck..." or "Holy SHIT!" or some other audible representation of something that can't actually be expressed? I'll never forget it. And the funny thing is, you can search for those moments and/or try to recreate them, but if you come across one while you're on the lookout it feels tainted. Your eyes still widen but your heart doesn't skip a beat, and you're left wondering why your blood didn't suddenly run cold like the last time.

"NATURE..Goulet."

TheMadHatter

The Mad Hatter,he waits for Alice to come to tea again.

peanut butter puddin surprise

nature.  the ultimate high... :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

whothrewthecake

awesome moment. i have had a lot of premium moments with steam engine going.

jonjon

Beautiful post.

Driving through Florida heading to Miami, I got to witness a double rainbow. Unsure how that was, but somewhere I have the picture. Just finished raining and the rainbows were both on the left of me.

Yes, nature is the ultimate high...and nature grows the ultimate high too. It's just natural to love nature.

Sorry, cheeze whiz all over that sentence.
Look into Western skies, your answer is over there.