Main Menu

M. Ward

Started by Chills, Feb 18, 2005, 01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

QuoteStory Of An Artist by Daniel Johnston
I think he played it in Toronto last time he was here.  (I know he played a Daniel Johnston song, and I think it was that one...)  Maybe he'll play it in Belgium!

Chills

Yeah, maybe I can request it...
Oh, did he play Undertaker?

EC

QuoteYeah, maybe I can request it...
Oh, did he play Undertaker?

Crap, now you've stumped me.  There was some guy who posted a list, let me see if I can find it.

I know he played O'Brien's Nocturne, and he played a Joanna Newsom song, and... damn.  The guy didn't do a set list.  (Pics are here: http://www.chromewaves.net/concertPhotos.php?concertPhotosID=77 I actually really like that chromewaves.  I should write and tell him/them that.)

Anyhow, you know, I think he DID play Undertaker.  I think he used his loop pedal for that one.  He played Fuel for Fire (hadn't heard it), and it almost made me cry.  A few songs did.  

p.s.  I think there's a new picture of him at the Merge Records site.  :) http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?band_id=8&;

Chills

Thanks a lot  ;)
I really feel like going now...

fitzcarraldo

Happy Days. Taking my girl to see M Ward Sunday night in NYC, when I saw him a few weeks back at the Knitting Factory he played Undertaker and Story of an Artist. So Nice! That guy is golden. I hope he tours with MMJ, but if he doesn't, he doesn't... it's all good. M. Ward and MMJ fans are lucky people! & I think this is probably the coolest band message board I've ever been on. MMJ should be so lucky! Can't wait to see that shows page filled up.
p.s.

http://www.teamrockstar.com/searay/
bookmark that page, a nice little present for fans of good music, like yourself. Sea Ray rock!

EC

It's true, hey?  With this lovely warm weather (I'm assuming NYC and surrounding areas are as gorgeous as Toronto today), and all of these exciting music prospects in the air - everything really is, alllll goooood.  :)

EC

Hey - just found this.  It's really nice.
http://kcrw.com/smil/mb050329M_Ward.ram

whothrewthecake

that's a great link! thanks for that.

Dorothy_Mantooth

hey do you think m. would give me a guitar lesson if i ask nicely
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

EC

Quotehey do you think m. would give me a guitar lesson if i ask nicely
HA!  Maybe if you ask nicely AND offer him lots of money.

:)

EC

Wow.  I'm still in a warm fuzzy haze, but the show tonight was absolutely beautiful.  Tremendous.  Norfolk & Western were awesome, and there was a middle band called Devotchka who kind of combined old timey sounds with maybe a bit of Klezmer styling.  We were totally floored by them.  And then, of course, Mr. M was in his usual fine form, backed up by Norfolk and Western.  There was a number at the end where they all came out and played together, and I can't even begin to think about how to describe how wonderful it was.  Two encores.

And then we chatted with some of the guys from Devotchka, and then had a long chat with Rachel and Adam from N&W, and they're gonna play with M. Ward at Bonnaroo.  They said they really like Toronto, and they thought the crowd was really great.  That's always nice.  And they'll be playing on the first night, he thinks.  So that's M. Ward on the 10th for all you folks going to Bonnaroo.

Honestly, if y'all get a chance to see this show in your town, I can't recommend it enough.  A truly magical evening.   :)

fitzcarraldo

Their is/was? a great fansite for the main man M. Ward @ www.onehundredangels.co.ukbutlately when u try to access the site it says access denied. Is it just for the first hundred people who signed up there?
Anyone know what's up with that site?

Chills

Its been 'access denied' for more than a month i guess. Don't know what's up with it...

M. Ward fan

Chills

There is a nice session with Willy Mason on the same site. I like his song Hard Hand To Hold.

He will tour with MMJ and he appeared in an article in one of our more popular magazines wearing the black My Morning Jacket T-shirt. That always helps.

EC

Oh nice!  Thanks for that M. Ward fan!!

QuoteThe weirdness is in the production, a rich hollowness created strictly with effects pedals and acoustic techniques.

I'm so surprised that nobody ever talks about the drumming.  The drumming on his records is very distinct - it's there to keep the beat, and not add a lot of fanciness.  Like, when Rachel was playing, she mostly used mallets (is that the right word?  Her sticks had the white balls on the end).  So that she basically kept time, with a pretty specific-sounding rhythm, occasionally breaking into sexy chucka chuckas.  

Man, I don't know drumming from tomatoes, and I wish I could explain myself better.  I just TOTALLY dig the drumming in his music.  It fits perfectly.  :)

Chills

Ok EC. I'm going to see M Ward the 30th of May!
Looking forward to it, I'll watch out for the sexy chucka chuckas  ;)

EC

QuoteOk EC. I'm going to see M Ward the 30th of May!
Looking forward to it, I'll watch out for the sexy chucka chuckas Ê;)

Oh CHILLS - you're going to have such a good time.  Yeah, Rachel is from Norfolk and Western (who'll probably be playing, too).  She didn't play on the album, but she and Adam have been touring with him.  And be forewarned, you will have a crush on her.  Girls and boys alike think she is quite special.  :)  Rock on, you're going to be so rocked out!!

Chills

And be forewarned, you will have a crush on her.

Haha, thanks for that, you're getting me too excited for this one! I'll surely report on that...