Cabin rips off the Jacket

Started by realdeal, Jul 27, 2005, 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realdeal

There is this new and upcoming band in Louisville called Cabin. They absolutely suck ass. In some reviews they have been compared to MMJ. No. Not at all. The really shitty thing is that they have a song called "Honest Man".

http://www.myspace.com/cabin  if you really want to.

aMillionDreams

Every Nirvana needs a Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and President of the United States.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

antoniostrohs

I'm with you EC.That's about the only comparison I see.I really like their new disc.The only musical comparison is maybe they sound a little like Coldplay( www.velocityweekly.com/sound/localmusic.html )  And every band has its own influences  Don't think they suck or are a rip-off of the Jacket just because they have a song called "Honest Man".I think there were probably other songs with the same song title before MMJ.

kymoose

This new Cabin album is pretty good.  In my humble opinion they do sound a bit like the Jacket--but, it may just be the melodies and hooks.  They sound a hell of a lot more like Coldplay.

They have been playing this album for a while up at The Outlook--I guess they got an advanced copy.  

peanut butter puddin surprise

I've heard that comparison before...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

biscuitbobo

is realdeal in Cabin and just doing some reverse promotion? ;)  doesn't sound like mmj to me...not "suck ass" either..
[url="//www.myspace.com/thehellsayers"]www.myspace.com/thehellsayers[/url]

DD

as musicians they dont sound too shabby.  they have built up a rep as being difficult to work with....not due to being assholes or anything, just picky.  most people i know say they are great dudes.

their album is pretty boring though.  nothing really jumps out and grabs me.  vocally in some places it does sound jim jamesish, but it doesnt necessarily mean they were trying to mold themselves around the jacket sound....but who knows.  i know of a few bands in town who have a set goal to attempt to ride the jacket coattails out of town so its not like that is some sort of unique thing.

SO.  on the DD meter.  this album is bland, boring, but not bad.  completely non offensive which is not something i can say for a lot of albums.  but then sometimes id rather be offended than put to sleep.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

kymoose

You know DD, I think you completely nailed it.  The Cabin album has some good parts--but, I was expecting a lot more.  Like you said nothing seems to reach out and grab you.  Bland and boring yet not bad.  Several of their songs seem to start out so promising and then they go somewhere else and don't deliver.

Wow, Z can't get here soon enough.  At least there is still the drive by truckers.  

aMillionDreams

I don't get the drive by truckers.  are they suppose to be making fun of the south and are they actually rednecks?  The only exposure I've had to them is when they opened for mmj at the louisville waterfront in 2002.  And that 'Never Gonna Change' song they play on WFPK all the time.  Talk about nothing reaching out to grab you! What's the appeal?  ???

Gripe

QuoteEvery Nirvana needs a Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and President of the United States.

I'm not quite sure what this means. In the context of this thread, it seems like you're saying that Nirvana is the good band the other bands tried to sound like/rip off. But since Soundgarden was around way before Nirvana and sound nothing like them, I must have misunderstood your post.
So what exactly didja mean, mang?

aMillionDreams

I'm not quite sure what this means. In the context of this thread, it seems like you're saying that Nirvana is the good band the other bands tried to sound like/rip off. But since Soundgarden was around way before Nirvana and sound nothing like them, I must have misunderstood your post.
So what exactly didja mean, mang?

Not necessarily that all the Seattle bands of the early 90s ripped off Nirvana, but that after Nirvana hit, anything from Seattle was hot shit and it all started to morph into the same sound, "grudge".  I think that this band Cabin may be trying to fill the niche of mmj fans who begin to wonder "what else does Louisville have to offer".  I can't really speak to Cabin's intentions I just thought that the situations were similar.  I think VHS or BETA may be riding the mmj wave to some extent already.

And I realize that VHS or BETA and Pearl Jam are both good bands in their own right, I'm just saying that they may get the benefit of the doubt a lot of times because of where they are from, for better or worse.

I hope that clears things up for yas. :)

corey

QuoteI don't get the drive by truckers.  are they suppose to be making fun of the south and are they actually rednecks?

I know I've covered this in some other threads... somewhere. :)
They are embracing the South. 4 out of 5 of them are from North Alabama. Patterson writes a lot about the "duality of the Southern thang"... Yeah, there's a lot of bad shit that went on down here many years ago, but there was also a lot of great stuff going on here too. Not everyone is a rebel flag wavin' asshole like Southerners are made out to be a lot of times. Patterson (and the rest of the band) are just trying to convey that in the only way they know how... making ROCK music. :)

QuoteAin't about no hatred better raise a glass
It's a little about some rebels but it ain't about the past
Ain't about no foolish pride, Ain't about no flag
Hate's the only thing that my truck would want to drag

You think I'm dumb, maybe not too bright
You wonder how I sleep at night
Proud of the glory, stare down the shame
Duality of the southern thing

DD

as far as vhs or beta goes they started quite a while before the jacket...in fact month of sundays may still have been around during the early days of vhs.  they have been busting their asses shopping material out to labels for years.  i really doubt the jacket had a lot to do with them getting signed to astralwerks.  these guys have been touring all over for a LONG time.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

kymoose

This is going in several directions.....but, first of all I don't think vhs is trying to ride the wave in Louisville created by MMJ.  What?  Who cares.  Both bands make great music and if a scene develops then great!

As for the truckers.....great guitars, patterson's got a great/unique voice, and they are better live than in studio.  They just make some great pop music.    

antoniostrohs

We saw this band this weekend here in Louisville at the Forecastle Festival.I found them anything but bland and boring.While they don't totally rock out,they have their moments of guitar flourishes and nice subtleties from the keyboard that I found quite mesmerizing.I know they are not everyones cup of tea but if you enjoy a great pop music in the vein of Travis,Coldplay and The Blue Nile they are well worth checking out.

p.s. The Truckers Rule

dennis

I have listened to the Cabin record about 15 times.  I've seen them play three times in the past month and I think they are great.  I don't like Coldplay very much because I think they are boring and monochromatic, but I always wanted to like them because I felt like they were hitting the fringes of something really cool and missing the mark.  I think Cabin nails it.  Not that they sound like Coldplay so much as they seem to have tapped into the same dimension.  The production on Cabin's record is flawless. They can recreate most of the beauty on their record live and add a little gut to it.  But honestly, my favorite part about this band and what makes me a tad jelous and others probably resentful is the fact that they are an actual band.  Everyone in the band is contributing creatively and doing something interesting. And even more importantly they all seem to really care about what they are playing and they enjoy it.  I don't see that very often.  There is obviously a ton of talent in the world that will never get discovered, but the thing that will keep helping these guys is the fact that they support each other and they have more friends and family support them than I have ever seen with a louisville band, except maybe the jacket.  If you like towers of good melody, I think you'd like Cabin. Oh yeah, I think the singer sounds a bit like Jim at times too, but not a ripoff.  Apples and oranges.  Just my two cents.  Sorry to chime in so late.  Take 'er easy :)

Gripe

Not necessarily that all the Seattle bands of the early 90s ripped off Nirvana, but that after Nirvana hit, anything from Seattle was hot shit and it all started to morph into the same sound, "grudge".  

I hope that clears things up for yas. :)

It does, indeed. Thanks.

doEVILslittle

QuoteEvery Nirvana needs a Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and President of the United States.

i think you mean every pixies has a nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, PUSA, and countless others