Riders on the bike

Started by EC, Jan 30, 2005, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

I'm gonna try really hard not to swear as much as I want to right now.

I just went out to the front porch for a cigarette, and noticed that my bike is gone.  Somebody stole it.  

Anyhow, I had a bike stolen once before, a few years back.  But it was a $99 remade bike that said SuperCycle on it, and I left it unlocked in the back because I figured nobody would want it anyhow.  But they did.  So I got a new one, and it was just a plain old bike.  Nothing crazy fancy.  And I kept it locked, and on the front porch with FIVE other bikes, two of which were UNLOCKED.

So.

So, what do you bike riders do to keep your bikes safe from the jerk thieves who steal peoples' bikes?  I guess I'm going to have to get a new bike, so I'm wondering also whether people have noticed better luck with buying a crappier bike (ie, people don't even want to steal it) or buying a relatively inexpensive bike, or what.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disheartening.  :-[

BIGVICLBI

Buy a crappy bike and an expensive lock. Also buy a bright pink bike, as mostly men steal bikes I would imagine. Sorry!

EC

QuoteBuy a crappy bike and an expensive lock. Also buy a bright pink bike, as mostly men steal bikes I would imagine. Sorry!
That's what my roommate said last night!  She was surprised that someone stole a girls' bike.  But, even if it's pink and crappy, they can still paint it, I guess.  And I heard that the newest, best bike locks can be opened with a bic pen.  

Perhaps I will buy 20 feet of steel chain and seventeen locks.  And leave a note that says "Please don't steal my bike."

MMJ_fanatic

don't feel too bad though--to steal a bike a person has gotta be pretty damn hard up on top of being a lowlife, so feel good about yourself and know you don't steal bikes to get by or whatever reason the guy stole it for. ;)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

fitzcarraldo

Sorry about your bike, mine got stolen when I was a kid and it was heartbreaking. Who know's...maybe it's at the Alamo. In the basement!  ;)

EC

QuoteSorry about your bike, mine got stolen when I was a kid and it was heartbreaking. Who know's...maybe it's at the Alamo. In the basement!  ;)
heee!

Yeah, I keep thinking there's a reason for it.  I'm sure it'll surface one day.

I coulda rode it today, too.  poo.

TheMadHatter

Are bike thefts big where your from?No one ever steals bikes where im from,just annhydrous tanks to make meth :'(
(MISSISSIPPI)
The Mad Hatter,he waits for Alice to come to tea again.

EC

QuoteAre bike thefts big where your from?No one ever steals bikes where im from,just annhydrous tanks to make meth :'(
(MISSISSIPPI)
Yeah, bike thieving is a problem here.  The woman I work with went to Denmark with a show, and she said in Denmark there are bikes everywhere that everyone is allowed to use.  Like, they're just there.

Not sure about annhydrous tanks here...  I'm sure that it exists, though...

TheMadHatter

I cant wait until they have cars everyone can just go around using for free,I want a Pinto...Any good pinto stories anyone??? :D

TheMadHatter

Hey,I just thought of something funny...."Someeeeebody,stole my,stole my,stole my biiiiiike!! ;)

EC

QuoteHey,I just thought of something funny...."Someeeeebody,stole my,stole my,stole my biiiiiike!! ;)
Okay, is this for real?  This is crazy.  I wrote that song and sang it on Thursday for the first time.

Except the chorus goes like this:
"Somebody stole my bike.  Somebody stole my bike.  Some asshole stupid sonuvabitch stole my little bike."

(what are you referencing?  did i steal it by accident?)

Wow.  Had alternate universe sessions happening there.   :-/

TheMadHatter

lol,im a firm bieliever in ESP :P

EC

Holy crap.  In trying to find this thread, I came across what amounts to a recap of the year beginning in January 2005.  A lot of things have happened to a lot of people.  It was fun to remember what it was like just as we heard there was going to be a little short southern tour before Bonnaroo.

Wow.

ANYHOW, we're gearing up for a shakedown at my house.  I can't say for sure if it's the same guy, but our basement neighbour is wanted for being a major bike thief in Toronto.  The police have been around a lot.  They called him a "bandit".

I wonder if my old bike is still alive in just being held in his basement.  Oh man, that would be so awesome.

Ha.  I doubt it, though.  ;)

Jellyfish

I was halfway through this thread before I figured out how old it was...did you call the police station and report your bike stolen?If so it is possible that it was retrieved and sitting in the police station waiting for someone to claim it...just a thought.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

EC

QuoteI was halfway through this thread before I figured out how old it was...did you call the police station and report your bike stolen?If so it is possible that it was retrieved and sitting in the police station waiting for someone to claim it...just a thought.

Yeah, you might be right.  Actually, come to think of it, I did report it stolen.  Or maybe that was the old one...  Either way, they kind of let you know that the chances of them finding it are next to zero.

But thanks for the tip.  :)

I hope they catch this dude, though.  Bike stealers are sons of bitches.

Gripe

Okay, is this for real?  This is crazy.  I wrote that song and sang it on Thursday for the first time.

Except the chorus goes like this:
"Somebody stole my bike.  Somebody stole my bike.  Some asshole stupid sonuvabitch stole my little bike."

(what are you referencing?  did i steal it by accident?)

Wow.  Had alternate universe sessions happening there.   :-/

I read this thread for the first time today, so excuse the rather late comment. I think TheMadHatter was referencing the start of They Ran, with "bike" replacing "lighter". Cracked me up, it did.

Do you think They Ran because They had no bikes to ride?