Spine goose tingling

Started by eiseyrokker, Aug 03, 2005, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Okay, wiggum (I think)'s thread inspired me.

You know those songs where there's something much deeper than just the words, its just the way the whole song happens, where you're singing along and you realize your screaming, or its something quiet and dark and you heart just swallows itself.

Anyone of those, where it gives you fullbody (or just back, mine stay in my back) goosebumps when you listen to it and mean it. Just post it here.

I've got a few:

Dondante, right at yoooou had me wooooorrrrrieeeeeed. That always gets me.

Also, Steve Burns, the old Blues Clues guy (if you havent heard his album Songs for Dustmites, you should) has a song called "Stick Around". Right at 3:06 the cellos in it do some insane thing that just feels like my heart just bobbed. I can't explain it, but you really ought to hear it.

Also, Iron and Wine's "Each Coming Night" will give me a lump in the throat everynow and then. Not really a spine tingler, but still good stuff.

Post on!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Mmmmm hmmmmmmm.  I love full out body buzz.  Here are ones that I can remember:

Dondante for sure.  Every single time I've heard it.  I think I've mentioned that it makes me cry.

Alabama.  

It Aint Easy.  First time I heard that I was walking home from the record store and I'd just put it on.  When that damn chorus crashed in, I got dizzy and I couldn't breathe.

The Wanderer - U2 with Johnny Cash.  Totally fucked me up the first time I heard it.    

Helicopter - M Ward.  Most of his stuff gives me the shivers, actually.

Oh there're a lot more, but those are the ones I think of right now...

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

tomEisenbraun

Haha, Sufjan Steven's "Chicago" is doin it to me right now.

And yes, just like that John.

peanut butter puddin surprise

like the first time I heard "I will sing you songs" live.  oh man.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

aMillionDreams

First time I heard 'The Bear' live my spine was a-tingling through the last two minutes of the song.  I was blown away!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

corey

Yeah, "The Bear" from the acoustic EP did that to me the other day. I fucking love that version of that song.

sweatboard

I'm not making a joke, you know me
I take everything so seriously
If we wait for the time till our souls get it right
Then at least I know there'll be no nuclear annihilation
In my lifetime I'm still not right

-Indigo Girls
There's Still Time.........

Chills

Well, all those headlines, they just bore me now
I'm deep inside myself, but I'll get out somehow,
And I'll stand before you, and I'll bring a smile to your eyes.

Neil Young - Motion Pictures
This part always gets to me

Also Mellow My Mind

And all live versions of Wilco's Misunderstood

EC

Oh yeah, the entire Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  I will never forget how I felt when I first put that record on.

Chills

QuoteOh yeah, the entire Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  I will never forget how I felt when I first put that record on.

Tall buildings shake
Voices escape singing sad sad songs
Tuned to chords strung down your cheeks
Bitter melodies turning your orbit around

Voices whine
Skyscrapers are scraping together
Your voice is smoking
Last cigarettes are all you can get
Turning your orbit around

I like that part.

EC

QuoteI like that part.
Me, too.  :)

whothrewthecake

when i first hear "into the mystic" by van morrison come on, i stop and listen. it grabs my attentions and gets me everytime.

corey

my wife and I played "into the mystic" over the speakers as people were being seated at our wedding... well, it was one of the songs.

ratsprayer

the decemberists "eli, the barrow boy"  - it's the entire song, but especially when the chorus kicks in.  

"Would I could afford to buy my love a fine robe
Made of gold and silk Arabian thread
She is dead and gone and lying in a pine grove
And I must push my barrow all the day
And I must push my barrow all the day"

its one of those moments, like a jim moment, where it may not look good on paper the emotion of the vocals whill shred you, and then it makes more sense.

marktwain

good question...

And wilco does it for me, too:  that part on "radio cure" when tweedy's voice cracks (oh, distance has no way of making love under-STAND-able!)

and this one's gonna get me labelled as a hippie, but, back in the day (1999?2000?)  I was at a Ben Harper show in Cincy, and they start playing "manic depression" in their second encore.  Well, jaded as I am, I scowled and thought - you don't fucking cover hendrix, dumbass.

But good god, it rocked. It seemed like everyone was totally into it, a very spiritual experience.  THe solo was so freaking loud on that weissenborn, and I just yelled.  Not sure why, but other people were doing it, too.  People just yelling.  

It was amazing.

and I know there are more, but those are the first 2 that stand out

whothrewthecake

Quotemy wife and I played "into the mystic" over the speakers as people were being seated at our wedding... well, it was one of the songs.

sweet!! good wedding choice, for sure.
van really does it for me.

tomEisenbraun

Jeff Buckley's version of The Way Young Lover's Do does it for me too.

and some zep

"will the mighty arms fo Atlas
hold the heavens from the earth..."

thebigbang

Great subject. Love seeing what Still Moves y'all.

Yesterday on the drive home, I heard a cover of Street Fighting Man.  I forgot whose version it was, but even though it wasn't as good as the Stones version, it still gave me shivers.

I like the Rollng Stones, but they'd be hard pressed to make my top 10 artists list. But, jeez, Street Fighting Man is absolutely inspirational and their pinnacle in my book.  It also has the most perfect shout along lyric in Rock n Roll history:

"What can a poor boy do, 'cept to sing for a Rock n Roll band!"
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Chills

QuoteGreat subject. Love seeing what Still Moves y'all.

Yesterday on the drive home, I heard a cover of Street Fighting Man.  I forgot whose version it was, but even though it wasn't as good as the Stones version, it still gave me shivers.

I like the Rollng Stones, but they'd be hard pressed to make my top 10 artists list. But, jeez, Street Fighting Man is absolutely inspirational and their pinnacle in my book.  It also has the most perfect shout along lyric in Rock n Roll history:

"What can a poor boy do, 'cept to sing for a Rock n Roll band!"

Cool! Check out Exile On Main Street if you haven't yet. It's the reason why they make my top 10 artists list.