Main Menu

elbow

Started by the_twilight_kid, Sep 06, 2005, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzcarraldo

Anyone here fans of this great, glorius 'Madchester' band?
Scroll to the bottom of this page to check out their latest vid.  

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/elbowx01x09x05

What's up Jacketland!

dragonboy

I don't have any of their CDs but I've often heard them compared to the Doves who I think are brilliant.

I know they've just released their 3rd CD (Leaders of the Free World). Not read any reviews for that one yet but their 2nd (Cast of Thousands) was a big hit with the critics.

Thanks for the link. :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

i think theyre excellent, any word on the new album?  i thought its released some time soon.  powder blue is one of the best songs of all time.

dragonboy

Just checked Q magazine - 4 out of 5 stars for the new CD.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

coming in hot to my computer now.   ;)   ill let you know wot i think.

ratsprayer

definitely dig it on first listen, and it seems a bit difficult to compare to other releases which is always a good thing, most always i guess.  i think it will be a grower that will develop with more listens and only get better.  if youve not heard them, id really recommend 'asleep in the back' or 'cast of thousands'

peanut butter puddin surprise

here's me thinking this is a thread about a restaurant in Indianapolis.... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

TheLink

we did speak of elbow way back when, maybe like 2 years ago.  they are great.  i compare them to The Catherine Wheel with drugs and good song writing. ;)

dragonboy

I remember Catherine Wheel. I saw them live once, just after they released Ferment, they were brilliant!
Were they big in the States?
I remember reading that their singer/guitarist is Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden's singer) cousin.
Where are they now?

Tree

hey
just read read that they´re coming to my town!
so what´s their music like?

TheLink

QuoteI remember Catherine Wheel. I saw them live once, just after they released Ferment, they were brilliant!
Were they big in the States?
I remember reading that their singer/guitarist is Bruce Dickinson's (Iron Maiden's singer) cousin.
Where are they now?

no clue.  the website hasn't been updated for years.  their last album was destroyed by critics and i think they hung it up.  i think you are right about them being cousins.  they used to be my favorite band when Ferment and Chrome were out.  It went a bit sour after that.

Elbow is great live.  Saw em on cable actually.  Very good show and they do make it sound like the record which is tough with all the shit they do.  Enjoy the show!

SmoothOprtr

Elbow are one of my favorites.... in terms of bands that aren't quite mainstream, they and Jacket are my favs.... they made a name when Radiohead named them their favorite band.  I think they are better than Radiohead (which is always good for getting people riled up at parties...!)
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

ratsprayer

ok ive listened to the new elbow album a few times.  i think it has a few decent songs, but its a sub par album, in my opinion.  you know it always seems weird to compare to other albums, but its definitely not as innovative as the other two.  its not terrible by any means, but you really should check out their first two, ASLEEP IN THE BACK and CAST OF THOUSANDS because theyre both amazing.  anyone else with opinions of this new one, LEADERS OF THE FREE WORLD  ??

SmoothOprtr

I've only heard Picky Bugger and Forget Myself.  I like both tunes.  Cast of Thousands took a while to grow on me and I think it'll be the same for this album....
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women