Old Crow Medicine Show

Started by harristrensky, Mar 21, 2005, 07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harristrensky

Jesus Christ Almighty! What a great band. With an overwhelming addition of these folk/string bands it is sometimes hard to distinguish the good from the bad. I have seen the Hackensaw Boys and various other string bands and dug em so I gave these guys a listen.  They totally blew me away and like many have, and will say, 'Wagon Wheel' is a hellofa'song. I stumbled upon a used copy of O.C.M.S. in a local cd shop for $4! I was so fuckin excited, I couldn't contain myself. And right behind it was a $4 Pernice Brothers album! Holy Shit what a day! Anyway, pardon my rambling and if this has already been a topic then ignore it. But i am more than certain that there of plenty of old crow fans out there. if so drop a line. i am to see them in april at jazzfest and am curious to how the shows are. i hear they do a cover of 'powderfinger!' well post!
I was a big old bear once.

Zmog1974

O.C.M.S are cool went to see them the back end of last year over here in Blighty. The staff at Grimeys in Nashville actually got us into them in January 2004 i bought one of the live albums...i also have a wicked version of O.C.M.S with Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings doing The Weight by the Band...absolutely fabulous. Have you heard of the Legendary Shack Shakers i think they are a Nashville band..they are playing over here in London in April dont know whether to tag along or not?

jacksoncooper

I've been a big fan of OCMS for a while now.  I used to go see them when I was at Bluegrass festivals, or Merlefest, and whenever they came to Louisville.  It's nice to see them get some attention outside of that crowd.  They most certainly deserver it.

As for the Legendary Shack Shakers, That's another one I've been going to see for years and years now.  JD, the lead guy, is a friend, and is very knowledgeable about the roots of the music he plays.

My band got to open for them when they played Louisville several years ago; back when they were still playing a mellower blues/rockabilly kind of mix.  These days, JD has the Shack Shaker machine pumping out some seriously heavy Blues/Psychobilly.  It's not for the faint of heart, but it's also a great show.  Watching JD perform is like watching the lovechild of Iggy Pop and Sonny Boy Williamson.  You should definitely check them out if you get a chance.

Zmog1974

cheers..on that note i will definitely be getting some tickets..i'll let you know how it went.

MMJ_fanatic

dude I think you're gonna love it :D
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

primushead

I saw OCMS a few weeks ago in Asheville and they were so kick ass.  They played for 3 hours or so and had the crowd in the palm of their hand the whole time.  Oh, i stumbled across their video for 'tell it to me' on CMT on day..so random.  But they are a hell of a band.