Integral Life Presents: Jim James (interview)

Started by Beffery, Mar 02, 2009, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

I'm talking about my inability to connect with his thoughts and feelings due to the fact that I believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself.

So, why comment at all?

If you can obtain "meaning" totally on your own and you "believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself" then you really don't need to do anything, say anything or go anywhere. Right?

And you certainly wouldn't "choose" to be uncomfortable, right? How could you be "uncomfortable" with Jim's words if you are the true champion of "meaning" in your life. Why "choose" to be uncomfortable?

Your logic is a bit flawed (but it sounds good).

it's hard for me to believe that someone is truly comfortable alone.  i can't be convinced at all -- i've been out of a relationship for a year and as soon as i got out, i wanted to be in one again (lol) i hate dating and i hate having a lot of dumb sh*t to say and no one to say it to. i understand being happy in every other aspect of your life but feeling incomplete because that most important part is missing. that's why i loved that interview; i think JJ hit on what most people feel.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ycartrob

I'm talking about my inability to connect with his thoughts and feelings due to the fact that I believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself.

So, why comment at all?

If you can obtain "meaning" totally on your own and you "believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself" then you really don't need to do anything, say anything or go anywhere. Right?

And you certainly wouldn't "choose" to be uncomfortable, right? How could you be "uncomfortable" with Jim's words if you are the true champion of "meaning" in your life. Why "choose" to be uncomfortable?

Your logic is a bit flawed (but it sounds good).

it's hard for me to believe that someone is truly comfortable alone.  i can't be convinced at all -- i've been out of a relationship for a year and as soon as i got out, i wanted to be in one again (lol) i hate dating and i hate having a lot of dumb sh*t to say and no one to say it to. i understand being happy in every other aspect of your life but feeling incomplete because that most important part is missing. that's why i loved that interview; i think JJ hit on what most people feel.

Well, I would dare say that everyone who posts here is fufulling some need; be it to share the love of the music or sharing ideas in general or just talking basketball or venting (which I sometimes do), but there is a need for "other"; for "community" and the sharing of humanness.

I would certainly be wasting my time here if I could go at it alone; I wouldn't "need" to be here. Now, could I survive in the middle of nowhere without any human contact, track and hunt my food and sustain adequate shelter with out "needing" this forum? And find meaning in my life? Sure, probably, after the party I have for all the monkeys that flew out of my ass? Yes, probably...

I dunno, I think The Beatles were right.

Penny Lane

which time?

i guess i should clarify that i meant my statements to pertain to people after a certain age, once they're past all the scenes and ready to just 'commune' with one person. you're right tracy, and i guess you all should be lucky because if i had a good relationship, i wouldn't have as much time to post all my awesome comments on here LOL. you all are an awesome community but i guess we all need 'the human touch' JJ sings about.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

CoreyWdeVos

Hey guys - i thought i'd throw a few free resources at you, for anyone who's interested.  Enjoy!

Integral Life on Facebook - Features tons of free content, plus updates every week.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Integral-Life/51300016841

A Theory of Everything: Some overviews of Integral Theory

An Introduction to the Integral Operating System (article series)

http://integrallife.com/node/1918

What if we took everything that all the various cultures have to tell us about human potential—about spiritual growth, psychological growth, social growth—and put it all on the table? What if we attempted to find the critically essential keys to human growth, based on the sum total of human knowledge now open to us? What if we attempted, based on extensive cross-cultural study, to use all of the world's great traditions to create a composite map, a comprehensive map, an all-inclusive or integral map that included the best elements from all of them? In the following article series, Ken Wilber shares an overview of this map: The Integral Operating System (IOS).

An Essential Introduction to the Integral Approach (presentation series)

http://integrallife.com/node/1873

Do you need a map to guide you through the territory of your own life? The following series of e-learning programs will give you an experience of the components of the Integral approach—quadrants, levels, lines, states and types—which will help you to see and work with more of yourself, others and the world you live in. If you're new to Integral, this series will help you to get familiar with some terms used on Integral Life and will help you understand how you can benefit from adopting a more Integral approach to the various aspects of your life.

Interviews

Here's a series of interviews with other musicians.  All are available for free, though you access them the same way as you did the Jim James interview--just enter your email address, and a link will be emailed to you.

Stone Gossard and Ken Wilber

Pearl Jam: Restoring Idealism in Rock and Roll
 Part 1. From the Birth of Grunge to the Death of an Industry.
 Part 2. Innocence Lost, Integrity Gained.

http://in.integralinstitute.org/landing/stone_gossard/index.html

Few bands in recent history have done more to express idealism and authenticity in music than Pearl Jam. In this fascinating interview with guitarist Stone Gossard, we are offered an insider's view of the gritty origins of grunge music, the iconic rise of the "most popular band of the 90's," and the struggles of maintaining one's artistic ideals in the vertigo of sudden fame.

Stone's story is one that is truly aligned with the essence of Integral art, which attempts to restore Beauty to its rightful place within the human condition—emphasizing creativity instead of deconstruction, idealism instead of apathy, depth instead of sensationalism, authenticity instead of irony—and always reflecting the fullest expressions of both artist and audience alike. We hope you can join us in this fascinating exploration of artistic idealism and creative reverie.

In part 2 of the discussion, we are offered a tour through Pearl Jam's last five albums, a discussion about the music industry and bootleg culture, and a heart-wrenching reflection on one of the most painful experiences in the band's long history....

Rick Rubin and Ken Wilber

Beyond Genre
 Part 1: Making Space for Greatness
 Part 2: Adventures in Rock and Romance

http://integrallife.com/node/2340

Rick Rubin, MTV's "most important white boy in hip-hop," has produced some of the most influential and creative albums of the past two decades, from artists such as The Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, Slayer, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, Nine Inch Nails, Audioslave, Jay-Z, Saul Williams - and the list just keeps on going. Here Rick and Ken discuss why truly great music almost always transcends our concepts of genre, before waxing philosophic about rock, romance, and the potential perils of paternity....

Saul Williams and Ken Wilber

Introducing Niggy Tardust
 Part 1: The Rise and Liberation
 Part 2: Deconstructing Niggy

http://in.integralinstitute.org/landing/saul_williams/swdownload.html

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust is an absolutely amazing collaboration between Saul and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Saul has always been known for his post-conventional approach to Hip Hop, and nowhere does this come through more than on this album. It is truly a trans-genre masterpiece, perfectly blending Saul's powerful vocals with the industrial "wall of sound" orchestration that has come to define Nine Inch Nails. But even more impressive than Saul's impulse to transcend genre is his ability to use art to transform and transcend identity itself, breaking through the self-imposed limitations of the finite self, and opening to the clear, limitless consciousness at the heart of this and every moment....

Jimmy Eat World

Zach Lind and Ken Wilber
 Part 1: Hells Bells and the Dangers of Rock and Roll
 Part 2: The Home, the Studio, and the Road

http://integrallife.com/landing/jimmyeatworld/jimmyeatworlddownload010909.html

Zach Lind from Jimmy Eat World offers a fascinating glimpse into some of the inspiration behind the band's distinctive sound, as well as a personal tour through his own upbringing in a conservative Baptist household. He and Ken then discuss an Integral approach to understanding spirituality, religion, and fundamentalism, paving the way forward for Christianity in the 21st Century. In the second part, Zach talks to Ken about his experiences touring with bands like Green Day and Blink 182, expanding Jimmy Eat World's already distinctive sound in the studio, and balancing his stardom with his life at home as a husband and a father.

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

RastaRunner5

Does anyone have a copy of this??

I haven't listened in ten years but would love to revisit!

ryno11111

Here's a link to download a zip file with both parts of the interview in MP3 format.   Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yai483631xwlp5u/Jim_James_Integral_Life.zip/file

sillyboob

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ChiefOKONO