How to post images and video on the Forum

Started by Johnny_Yac, Jul 25, 2010, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Part 1: Inserting an image from the Interweb

If you want to insert an image you've found on a website, I've found the most efficient way to do this is to open the image properties, copy the URL for the image, and paste it into the Insert Image brackets.  

1. right click on image

2. left click on "Properties"

3. left click and drag over the URL

4. right click on highlighted URL

5. left click on Copy

6. go to Forum post window

7. click on Insert Image icon

8. right click, then left click on Paste between brackets

9. Post and... voila!

Coming Soon!  Part 2: Uploading and Posting Your Own Images!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

EDIT (2/21/11) Please note that there have been some changes to Flikr since this was written.

Part 2: Uploading and Posting Your Own Images

I am basing this on using http://www.flickr.com

1. Create or sign in to your flickr account.

2. Click on "Upload Photos & Video"

3. Click on "Choose Photos and Videos"

4. Browse your computer to find the image(s) you want to upload.

5. On the "Upload to Flickr" screen, click "Upload Photos and Videos"

6. When upload is finished, click on "Home"

7. Click on thumbnail of recently uploaded image

8. Click on "All Sizes", then choose the size for posting (I recommend Medium for most images)

9. Scroll down to find "2. Grab the photo's URL:"

10. Right click over the URL, then left click on Copy

11. Go to the Forum post window

12. Click on the Insert Image icon

13. Right click, then left click Paste between brackets

14. Post and... voila!

Coming soon... Part 3: Posting a video!

johnnYYac

EDIT (2/21/11) Please note that, since this was written, our beloved forum has changed such that pasting the URL for a video directly into the message should be all that is needed to embed it into your posting.  This is definitely the case with YouTube videos.  Good luck!

Part 3: Posting a Video

This is for posting an embedded video, as in You Tube or the like.

1. Click on "Share" underneath the viewing window.

2. Right click over the highlighted URL, then left click on "Copy"

3. Go to the forum page.  Click on the Insert Media icon.  Right click and left click "Paste" between the brackets.

5. Post and Voila!

SaraBananaBear

Is it okay to bump the thread by practicing to post a funny image or is that considered "kidnapping the thread"?  :-?

If not, then I'm very, very sorry, if there's a funny image thread, please direct me there and I'll be on my way! I don't visit these parts of the forum very often, it's a tad confusing...  ;)

Oh yeah, funny image:

Okay, maybe the build-up of saying it's a funny image is a bit over the top, but I thought it was pretty funny, so yeah...  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

TGMC421

QuoteIs it okay to bump the thread by practicing to post a funny image or is that considered "kidnapping the thread"?  :-?

If not, then I'm very, very sorry, if there's a funny image thread, please direct me there and I'll be on my way! I don't visit these parts of the forum very often, it's a tad confusing...  ;)

Oh yeah, funny image:

Okay, maybe the build-up of saying it's a funny image is a bit over the top, but I thought it was pretty funny, so yeah...  :)

Nice little thread!

Oh, and  ;D at that pie chart!

johnnYYac

I'll mention here that flickr just changed the look of their page so its a little different finding the URL for a medium sized image.  It can be done, just do a little exploring.

And never underestimate the power of Right Click.  It is a magic portal to all things possible and, occasionally, forgotten.

It is your friend.

Mac users, you're on your own. ;)

johnnYYac

Bump.

Instructions on embedded video may be moot, as I understand with our "new" forum, they embed automatically when you paste the video URL in the body of your message. 

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Sweet Nothing

This seems like quite a bit of work to just upload an image, my word.  But i guess i am screwed cause i am a Mac user and don't like that i have to set up a flickr account in order to post pictures that are currently on my computer.  Seems like the easier thing to do would be to post them on Expresso Bean and then just follow the first sets mentioned.  There has to be some other way, is there?  Thanks again for the link to this thread JohnnYYac!!

johnnYYac

Update that may be simpler...

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 09, 2011, 11:14 PM

Every image you post here has to have a url. 

For your own pictures, you need to put 'em on an image hosting site like Flikr first. 

Right click over the image and click on "Properities." 

Click and drag over the url, then right click over the highlighted area and choose copy.

Come back to the forum and paste that url between the image brackets.

Then post and enjoy.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sweet Nothing on Nov 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
This seems like quite a bit of work to just upload an image, my word.  But i guess i am screwed cause i am a Mac user and don't like that i have to set up a flickr account in order to post pictures that are currently on my computer.  Seems like the easier thing to do would be to post them on Expresso Bean and then just follow the first sets mentioned.  There has to be some other way, is there?  Thanks again for the link to this thread JohnnYYac!!
You can also pull photos from Facebook or Twitter.  I had a free Flickr account for a couple of years but recently upgraded to the Flickr Pro account for $2.08/month ($24.95/year). 

Its not that hard, really.  I created the post above in about 15 minutes, and I had to make 5 screen captures, crop them, add the red circles and arrow, upload them to Flickr, go to Flickr and follow those directions for each of the five pictures, and insert them into the text. 

That was from scratch.  If you just want to post a picture you took on the forum, upload it to Flickr, right click, click, click, paste, post.  3-5 minutes, max. 

Or, send it to me as an email attachment and I'll post it for you:

johnnYYac@comcast.net

bluesky

Wouldn't it just be more fun if you came over when I wanted to post an image. We could listen to the jacket, have a drink and you could post images for me. We should have a service like that on this forum.... :)

johnnYYac

Quote from: bluesky on Nov 09, 2011, 11:34 PM
Wouldn't it just be more fun if you came over when I wanted to post an image. We could listen to the jacket, have a drink and you could post images for me. We should have a service like that on this forum.... :)
I think you're outside my delivery range.  Otherwise, I'd be right there. 

bluesky

:)

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 10, 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote from: bluesky on Nov 09, 2011, 11:34 PM
I think you're outside my delivery range.  Otherwise, I'd be right there.

blucas

Moochas Gracias YY.  I've been trying and trying with no success but have been to stubborn to ask.  My posting powers are now enhanced! :)
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

sweatboard

Quote from: blucas on Nov 12, 2011, 02:14 PM
Moochas Gracias YY.  I've been trying and trying with no success but have been to stubborn to ask.  My posting powers are now enhanced! :)

Bring it!!!!

There's Still Time.........

peafunk31

Homer no function beer well without.

touchingmept2

can someone please elaborate on how to post a video. i've looked at the instructions above but for step 3. Insert Media Icon, there's no Insert Media Icon. Help!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

CC

just post the url and it auto embeds for most video sites.
no media icon required.

johnnYYac

Sorry, I guess my advice is getting outdated.  Still pretty much the same for posting images, but for video, just post the url.