The Reggae Thread Version 2.0

Started by woodnymph, Feb 01, 2011, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Whoa nice picks, nugs!!  Burning Spear's my man!!  Izzy Vibe is sweeet.... I loooooove the Abyssinians... as a matter of course:::

The Abyssinians - Forward Unto Zion (Satta Massagana)

Well crap, did I already post that tune?? Well I love them... nice picks man!  :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 24, 2011, 09:42 PM
AHHH I haven't surfed the reggae thread in too long!!! Brian WHAT AN AWESOME BAGPIPE OPPORTUNITY!! That's so neat!! I need to go watch the actual video now, I just watched the interview so far!  That's just crazy how that all fell together!!!  Loved how you brought the pipes to Levon's Ramble!!  :-D

Solid vids up on here too guys!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh man, Walts! Did you get to see the Wailers in Milwaukee???  I haven't seen those guys in ages!  (Wish that "ages" would've meant the 70s or 80s hah!)  But hey did you get the Bob "Live Forever" cd yet from his show in Pitt???  I have a version of it that I've had since '05 but I'm not 100% sure all the songs line up just right... anywho, if you'd like a pre-listen or anything, shoot me a PM!!!  That goes for anyone!!!  Would love to help the team out!  8)

I bought that CD a couple weeks ago, love it! The quality is good except for the last two tracks, witch i assume they had to use an audience recording. Maybe that's explained in the booklet, i haven't read it yet. I regret not making it out for that Live Forever show at the Benedum!

Yeah it's a great disc!  My favorite version ever of Could You Be Loved... I just love the 'GEET UP GEET UP GEET UP! GEET UP! GEET UP GEET UUUUUUP, GEET UUUUUUP, GEET UP NOWWWWWWWW' hahah just solid.... yeah though, wish ya coulda made it to the reunion show for sure!  But oh well, at least you got the real deal in your hands now!  :thumbsup:

nuggets

Quote from: woodnymph on Mar 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
Whoa nice picks, nugs!!  Burning Spear's my man!!
Cool. Check the member pics thread. Just posted a pic (albeit a crappy one) of when I got to meet him a couple years ago. Amazing man and family. Really sad to lose Kevin (his son). Spent a bunch of time with Kevin at that show and thought he seemed like a wonderful person. So sad to lose him at such a young age. I trade emails every now and then with Sonya (Spear's wife) and it sounds like we might have some show this Summer in the States. Can't wait.
Oh shit, run!

debbie

Irie peeps!  Lovin' all the new tunes!  Could I talk any of you in to coming out to CA for the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival over Summer Solstice weekend up in Mendocino Co. (ganja central)?  www.snwmf.com   Then, if you hang out 5 more days, you can catch MMJ in Oakland w/ me, and then one week after that they'll, as I'm sure you've heard, be at the High Sierra Music Festival!   June is going to be awesome!!  Think about it!!  -Dubbie
Touch me I'm going to scream.

woodnymph

Quote from: debbie on Mar 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
Irie peeps!  Lovin' all the new tunes!  Could I talk any of you in to coming out to CA for the Sierra Nevada World Music Festival over Summer Solstice weekend up in Mendocino Co. (ganja central)?  www.snwmf.com   Then, if you hang out 5 more days, you can catch MMJ in Oakland w/ me, and then one week after that they'll, as I'm sure you've heard, be at the High Sierra Music Festival!   June is going to be awesome!!  Think about it!!  -Dubbie
:o :o :o  That sounds UNRULY!!!  And what a gracious invitation!!  I guess it's not the most realistic thing for me to say I could be a definite attendant to all (or any!) of that.... but!!  I'll be between semesters that whole time, and I like to think of anything as a possibility!!  I'd lovelovelove to catch that string of shows with ya, I'll keep you posted as time rolls on here!!  :D

debbie

:thumbsup:  Cool!  That would be so killer to hang out with some forum folks - especially if they like MMJ and reggae!!! :D  I'm especially looking for someone to come with me to the High Sierra festival 'cause my husband is telling me that he won't be able to go to that one and it's gonna be tough to talk my local MMJ-friendly friends (of which I don't really have many) into driving up to Quincy for that one.

And I'm so bummed that I waited too long to get my Oakland, Fox theater tix.   :'( General admission tix are already sold out and they have only been on sale to the gen public for a day!  I'm sure I'll still score tickets, but now I need to buy they off of someone.  Bummer.

.Walt

That would be awesome. Maybe next year.
BTW I love the name Dubbie. That's great  8)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

nuggets

I'm sure you all know about this place, but figured I'd pass it along.

http://www.reggaetraders.net/

Best reggae tracker I know of. I think they still have open registration. If not, let me know and I'll send you an invite code.
Oh shit, run!

debbie

I hadn't heard of it.  And registration is closed.  Invite code?  I'd like to check it out.   :dankk2:

nuggets

Quote from: debbie on Mar 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
I hadn't heard of it.  And registration is closed.  Invite code?  I'd like to check it out.   :dankk2:
PMOTW
Oh shit, run!

pawpaw

That's a nice run of music!

We used to go the SNWMF what it was up in Marysville, which always seemed like a weird spot for a reggae fest. Mendocino County seems like a much better fit. The Anderson Valley Brewing Co. is within walking distance of those fairgrounds too! There's no way I could swing that, but HAVE FUN!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

debbie

I used to go to the SNWMF when it was in Marysville every year.  It was nice that it was on the river, but no, not the best location.  Not enough trees!  And too many young local punks sneaking in to the campground to steal shit from innocent concert-goers (we had a cooler stolen one year, and a backpack another year).  Saw some great performances there though!

The Mendocino Co. fairgrounds is awesome and our first stop when we roll into Boonville is always the Anderson Valley Brewery!  It's a great way to kick off the weekend!  Sorry to hear you can't make it.  Maybe next year...  It's worth the drive.

Dodobird

Quote from: debbie on Mar 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yes, I did watch the YouTube video.   :thumbsup:  So that was you on the pipes in the video?  So tell me more!  Where and why did you learn to play bagpipes?  And how did you get involved in that project?   Why Ireland and not Scotland? 

Deb

Hey Deb,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. March was a crazy month for me! St. Paddy's Day season. Just getting back to normal now.

So to answer your questions.

I learned to play the bagpipes in High School and went to Iona College on a bagpipe scholarship. I choose Ireland to shoot the video because I have been there many times before and have friends and family on the ground. The bagpipes are a Celtic instrument. They actually originated in Egypt B.C. But for some reason everyone thinks the Scottish invented them. Anyway, read the daily news story below for how it all happened!

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-09/local/28686419_1_music-video-bagpipe-music-kilt

FYI - you can download this song on itunes now!!!
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

debbie

For roots reggae and dub, all you need in the world is Scratch Radio.  If fact, if the only music (other than MMJ, of course) I had access to was this, I'd be perfectly happy..... :D

http://www.azevedo.ca/scratch/default.aspx

Check it!   8)

debbie

debbie

nuggets

If you didn't know, now you know.
The legendary soundclash master SIR David "RamJam" Rodigan. Saw SIR Rodigan kill it at a few soundclash shows I saw in NYC back in the day.
SIR David "RamJam" Rodigan
David RAMJAM Rodigan - the continue...
RODIGAN Dust A Soundbwoy in Jamaica
Oh shit, run!

nuggets

If I ever get married this is gonna get cranked at the reception.
Culture - Love Shine Bright
Oh shit, run!