Main Menu

Deer Tick

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jul 06, 2011, 03:28 PM
I plan to be at the Friday show too (if I survive the booze cruise)

nice g33ta, hopefully the forcasted T-Storms will come around some other day
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

encore: 
Serve the Servants (nirvana)
Christ Jesus
Mange

wolof7

Lupos show was GREAAAAAAT!!! New stuff rocked! They played around 5-7 new songs, 2 of which sang by Ian. All of which I enjoyed immensely.....very much in the vein of rolling stones/ ramones/ classic rock vibe...I know for sure they played 'Let's all go to the Bar' and 'Main St.' Wondering if the opener was 'Rump?' it was really good!

They played a solid 2 hours w/ 2 encores, the audience didn't let them leave...

Covers: Cheap Sunglasses(ZZ Top), sleepwalk>La Bamba(santo/Johnny>Ritchie Valens), Carmelita (Zevon),Oh Boy w/ Joe Fletcher (B. Holly), Nivana cover (unsure which song), Last Caress (misfits tease :thumbsup:),

the rest of the set included (in no particular order, my brain is dead from all the Narragansetts):

WE:
Ashamed
Balt Blues No. 1
These Old Shoes
Spend the Night
Art isn't Real (John Solo)

BOFD:
Easy
Smith Hill
Houston TX (John Solo)  :thumbsup:

BDS:
Choir of Angels
When She Comes Home
Mange  :thumbsup:

Deer Tick & Joe Fletcher "Oh Boy" @ Lupo's Providence, RI 7-8-11 Free Show
Deer Tick "Cheap Sunglasses" @ Lupo's Providence, RI 7-8-11 Free Show
Deer Tick "City of Sin" @ Lupo's Providence, RI 7-8-11 Free Show

wolof7

This is from the boat show....it's also the new song they played to start off the lupos show....Awesome!
Deer Tick - New song 1

YouAre_GivenToFly

Man i love these guys.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

wolof7

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.welcometothewest.ca/
Thanks for reminding me wolof.  I meant to check this out later when i was on a computer.  Dennis is wearing the same JRoddy shirt my GF bought at the rock n' roll hotel.   ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

that's a badazz shirt. I almost picked it up at the JRoddy show too, got the patch instead...bad move, what the hell am I gonna do with a patch?

headhunter

OK, so since IMO Middle Brother is one of my top albums of the year so far, and I only really knew Delta Spirit, I bought my first Deer Tick album.  Flag Day.  Damn, this is really good.  OK, now I gotta catch them live.  I might be a little late to the game, but this is something I gotta check out.  Time to learn more.......
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Ruckus

Quote from: headhunter on Jul 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
OK, so since IMO Middle Brother is one of my top albums of the year so far, and I only really knew Delta Spirit, I bought my first Deer Tick album.  Flag Day.  Damn, this is really good.  OK, now I gotta catch them live.  I might be a little late to the game, but this is something I gotta check out.  Time to learn more.......
Bout frickin' time Jeff!  Man I love these guys.  I always thought you'd like them considering some of your tastes that I'm familiar with.  I'd go War Elephant next as that is a masterpiece IMO.  Seriously, if you got BOFD on vinyl, is there a greater side 1 you've listened to in recent memory?  Simply brilliant!

They are evolving rather rapidly, particularly since they changed guitarists and it seems like MacCauley is allowing for a lot of creative input from everyone now.  Cannot wait for their new album.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Jul 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
Time to learn more.......
Bout frickin' time Jeff!  Man I love these guys.  I always thought you'd like them considering some of your tastes that I'm familiar with.  I'd go War Elephant next as that is a masterpiece IMO.  Seriously, if you got BOFD on vinyl, is there a greater side 1 you've listened to in recent memory?  Simply brilliant!

They are evolving rather rapidly, particularly since they changed guitarists and it seems like MacCauley is allowing for a lot of creative input from everyone now.  Cannot wait for their new album.

Definitely go for War Elephant next...You'll find it focuses more on MacCauley's singer/songwriter side which is not a bad thing. Lotsa tuneful ditties which have become canon.

The Black Dirt Sessions was definitely a transitional album as Ruckus remarked in an earlier post. It came out without much fanfare/publicity and consisted of mostly leftovers from flag day. Still some good stuff on it tho...they only play 3-4 songs from it live and you'll hear why. It additionally was the transition from Andy>Ian on guitar.

Since then they have added a keyboardist/saxophonist who has clearly rounded everything out in the live setting. It seems like this new album set for an October release will be something special and sounds like they were influenced from all over the musical map. 

headhunter

Ruckus- You have always proven to be a wise sage (and good concert buddy to boot).

I will order War Elephant today.

mahg33ta

Jeff-

You are definitely not late to the game.   I agree with what the others that War Elephant is essential listening.   I love when an album has so many good songs that your favorite keeps changing over time.

On the "how many times have you seen MMJ" I'm amazed by the people who list 30 - 40.   I try to fit in as many as possible and still only 3 -4  a year is realistic.    As I read their gig lists, the secret is to get on the fan train while the band is still regional (for example, for MMJ their were countless KY gigs in the early days).    Since I've been on a Deer Tick tear (5 months or so) they have played 6 gigs within 90 minute drive.   It's a little better for me than you since they are Providence-based but they are touring hard, and that's BEFORE the new album comes out.   FYI they play 3 shows in NY state in the near future (7/15, 8/11, 8/28).

I am a little less optimistic than Ruckus about the direction of the next album, based on the new songs I've heard live (4 I think), but I'll wait and see and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. 

I realize I haven't chimed in since the boat cruise, besides posting the setlist (which was written on the back of a Panera bag lol).   It was a great time.   The setup was awful (no stage), so unless you were up front, it was impossible to see anything.   And the boat was packed and impossible to move around.   So we got upfront and parked ourselves, at the expense of a good drinking night.   It was one or the other.   It was a lot of fun.   They played their Xmas song, which I didn't recognize, but understand now it's a bit of a rarity.   But all the regulars were great.   Easy is such a great song to get the crowd going.

I did not make the next night in Providence, although fully planned to.   I had my 8 yr old in tow and we planned on hitting the free concert in the park (would have been his first concert).   I even managed to secure some preferred viewing passes through WBRU, so I was pretty pumped.   But the weather f-ed up our plans and when they moved the show indoors to Lupos, I decided not to go.   Not ready to bring my son to a bar.   Sounds from Wolof's report that I missed another good one. 
>:(
Lastly, they are the source of many humorous tweets and facebook posts.

Penny Lane

Quote from: headhunter on Jul 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
Ruckus- You have always proven to be a wise sage (and good concert buddy to boot).

I will order War Elephant today.

Can't believe you don't have that on vinyl! I don't care about seeing them live, I've been dissappointed twice and find him annoying but LOOOOOOOVE their music. Great songwriter.

MIDDLE BROTHER is still my favorite album of the year other than Isbell.

MAHG33---saw Aunt Martha open for Los Lobos on Sunday night, Brooke and I were hoping for an At Dawn cover but no...so you saw them cover this? can't remember.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Jul 12, 2011, 08:31 PM
that's a badazz shirt. I almost picked it up at the JRoddy show too, got the patch instead...bad move, what the hell am I gonna do with a patch?
;D  Have you ironed it onto your Jansport backback from undergrad?  At least it'll remind you how much money you saved at the show.

Ruckus

Glad you got up front for the booze cruise mahg33ta.  My short ass would have been at the bar the whole time.  Yeah that setup is rather odd.

And Headhunter:  Do not let Penny taint your perspective on your 1st show to be.  She's such a hater.  I love that they don't bang out a predetermined setlist in order like robots (DBT) ;) but resort to juvenile shenanigans and unpredictability.

I love their version of Cheap Sunglasses

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 14, 2011, 09:34 AM

MAHG33---saw Aunt Martha open for Los Lobos on Sunday night, Brooke and I were hoping for an At Dawn cover but no...so you saw them cover this? can't remember.

No, I didn't see it.   I had no idea who they were so prior to the boat cruise I did a little googling / listening to figure them out and stumbled on their At Dawn cover.   So I posted a request for that song on their facebook page for that night but they didn't oblige me.

headhunter

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
Glad you got up front for the booze cruise mahg33ta.  My short ass would have been at the bar the whole time.  Yeah that setup is rather odd.

And Headhunter:  Do not let Penny taint your perspective on your 1st show to be.  She's such a hater.  I love that they don't bang out a predetermined setlist in order like robots (DBT) ;) but resort to juvenile shenanigans and unpredictability.

I love their version of Cheap Sunglasses

I've seen Penny at about half a dozen shows in the last month (including a few dbt gigs).  "Such a hater"?    ;D   Will see Ms. Penny Lane tonight at the Old 97's show and will "grill her" on DT experiences.  She did give me shit before for not already owning WE.  Gotta watch out for those rock n roll groupies.

headhunter

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jul 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
Jeff-

You are definitely not late to the game.   I agree with what the others that War Elephant is essential listening.   I love when an album has so many good songs that your favorite keeps changing over time.

On the "how many times have you seen MMJ" I'm amazed by the people who list 30 - 40.   I try to fit in as many as possible and still only 3 -4  a year is realistic.    As I read their gig lists, the secret is to get on the fan train while the band is still regional (for example, for MMJ their were countless KY gigs in the early days).    Since I've been on a Deer Tick tear (5 months or so) they have played 6 gigs within 90 minute drive.   It's a little better for me than you since they are Providence-based but they are touring hard, and that's BEFORE the new album comes out.   FYI they play 3 shows in NY state in the near future (7/15, 8/11, 8/28).

I am a little less optimistic than Ruckus about the direction of the next album, based on the new songs I've heard live (4 I think), but I'll wait and see and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. 

I realize I haven't chimed in since the boat cruise, besides posting the setlist (which was written on the back of a Panera bag lol).   It was a great time.   The setup was awful (no stage), so unless you were up front, it was impossible to see anything.   And the boat was packed and impossible to move around.   So we got upfront and parked ourselves, at the expense of a good drinking night.   It was one or the other.   It was a lot of fun.   They played their Xmas song, which I didn't recognize, but understand now it's a bit of a rarity.   But all the regulars were great.   Easy is such a great song to get the crowd going.

I did not make the next night in Providence, although fully planned to.   I had my 8 yr old in tow and we planned on hitting the free concert in the park (would have been his first concert).   I even managed to secure some preferred viewing passes through WBRU, so I was pretty pumped.   But the weather f-ed up our plans and when they moved the show indoors to Lupos, I decided not to go.   Not ready to bring my son to a bar.   Sounds from Wolof's report that I missed another good one. 
>:(
Lastly, they are the source of many humorous tweets and facebook posts.

Thanks Kyle -- I saw they are playing this weekend and I intend to catch them live in the near future.

Penny Lane

I'm not a hater! I'm spoiled from going to see DBT and MMJ, the hardest working bands out there, where they actually try to put on a good show for their fans. If I was 22 again, maybe I'd enjoy watching a fall down drunk coast through a show playing 3 songs in 20 min talking retarded banter. Oh and they slowed down Ashamed to a mediocre sax version the last time I saw them. Why take one of your best songs and do that? It's 20$ and 2 hours of my life I want back. I'd rather head to HH's vinyl room and listen and eat cheetos or something. What annoys me is this kid has more talent than most musicians out there. Unlimitless potential...I'll continue to support their music but I'm just too old to deal with the live shows. I'd rather travel 4 states away (DBT) and hear 2 nights/6 and 1/2 hours of straight balls out rock from working musicians than walk a block and watch someone who doesn't care.

Maybe a bit of an old cranky hater.. ;)

PS MIDDLE BROTHER is awesome.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill