Main Menu

TOOL

Started by woodnymph, Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

OK these guys ought to have their own thread, I think...  there are at least a few other people who might enjoy the space.

A Perfect Circle and Puscifer, etc, all welcome too!

Just find myself getting caught in the Lateralus album lyrics again.  And

Tool - Lateralus

Tool-Disposition
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

BH

What an intense band.   I saw them on the side stage at Lollapalooza II right after Undertow came out.  It was like 100 degrees, I was 10 feet away and they just blew my mind.  It was just soooo heavy and evil like nothing I had ever heard or seen.   I just remember the bass just snapping and Maynard scarring the living shit out of me.  Still to this day I don't think there is another band that does what they do.   My sophmore year in college we used get wasted, put on Undertow, turn out the lights and just thrash up the room for an hour straight.  What a dork. ::)  (But wow it was fun.)

Do you like APC's Thirteeth Step?   I love that album.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

woodnymph

Nice live story!!!

And for the record, thrashing around to Undertow is NOT dork material!!  That's some badassery.  I've yet to see Tool from that close of a distance, damn!  I can only imagine........

But I used to listen to them a whole lot in my freshman/sophomore years in highschool and saw them live a few times those years, but never so close!  My story is that I used to paint the Lateralus eyes all over my bedroom wall.... they were f'n sweet though, looked just like big Alex Grey eyes, really deep and colorful.... then I went through a phase thinking Maynard was pretty evil, and I actually painted over them hahahah there's a dork story for ya.  I've grown up (if you can call it that!) a good bit since then though, and I can relate to the lyrics more than before, and I feel a closer bond than before... worked through my psychedelically-induced fears hahah

There's definitely not another band that does what they do.  Powerful shit, any way you cut it.

I do like the Thirteenth Step (a LOT from what I remember!) But it hasn't stuck to me as much as Mer has, yet.... it's my own doing though, I just haven't taken the time with it.  The few times I've spun it though I've really dug it.  Glad you dig 'em too!!

BH

Thirteeth Step is one of those albums that just takes me away somewhere the moment I hear the first notes, like a Floyd album or something.   Can't explain it but the production and sound is just awesome.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Turn this up on some headsets and close your eyes.

It comes alive at the 1:53 mark.

A Perfect Circle - The Noose

woodnymph

Quote from: BH on Sep 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
Turn this up on some headsets and close your eyes.

It comes alive at the 1:53 mark.

A Perfect Circle - The Noose

OK all systems go!  I hold you responsible for my disappearance out into space though!!!!

BH

Hold on tight!

woodnymph

Oooooooooohhhhh yeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh I love that one!!! I wouldn't have remembered its name to see the title, but I do remember it well!!

APC played it in Pitt the night before MMJ played.... and Jim said they heard the show from up on Mt. Washington when they were sight-seeing that night!!!  That would've been sick to hear it echoing over the rivers in Pitt.......... wheeeeewwwwww

Oh you're spot-on about the lift-off experience too, such as a Floyd album, etc.  Nice!!  So great....

woodnymph

OK so I'm spinning the album again tonight  :)  Thanks for the shove!  Another great Autumn feel experience

BH

Cheers. :beer:  Happy effin Friday!

woodnymph

Quote from: BH on Sep 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Cheers. :beer:  Happy effin Friday!

Hell yeah!  Cheers indeed  :beer:  Happy Friday and Happy Fall!

MrWhippy

Yay for a Tool thread.  I'm a huge fan and have been to about 12 shows since 1993.  I made the pilgrimage to Red Rocks to see them last year like many on here did for MMJ this year. 

I also got hooked after hearing Undertow and seeing them in a club around that time.  Deep, evil music like nothing I had heard before.

I do find one similarity between Tool and MMJ, and that is that both band just completely blow me away every time I see them.  Sort of like every time just exceeds the high bar that was set by the time before.  Not many bands do that to me, but Tool and MMJ do.

I agree with you guys that APC's 13th Step is amazing as well, and one of those records that really takes somewhere. 

What would you guys pick as your favorite Tool record?  For me it would definitely be Lateralus.  I feel like I will always remember the first time I ever heard The Grudge.  That might be the hardest I've ever been knocked on my ass by a song on first listen.

Puscifer is great as well, and something that I think you need to see live to truely get what Maynard is trying to do with it.  There will be a Puscifer tour this fall after the new record comes out.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

sweatboard

One Great Big Festering Neon Distraction, I Have A Suggestion To Keep You All Ocupied. 

Lyrics and Riff in a perfect union.
These lyrics have been forever planted in my brain....... 

Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

Tool - Ænema [uncut version - hq - fullscreen]

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

It's a
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
Fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies and
Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna watch it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.
Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
suck it down.
flush it down.

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

It's interesting to me how he's cut off everytime he starts to make sense....

L. Ron Hubbard 1968 Full Interview Part 1
6min in this takes a a serious wrong turn.  ;D

sweatboard

sweatboard

oh Yes, the one man in the world who Never believes he's mad IS the mad man....

Genius

sweatboard

sweatboard

Cash In Baby, Cash In!!!

Ron Hubbard Jr.: Scientology has always been a Business 1/3

He left the church because his wife wanted him to and because he wasn't making enouhg money?

The "Truth" Is Iin....you are a douche. FACT
L.Ron Hubbard is starting a brand new SS.   :-\

dragonboy

Was lucky enough to see Tool twice with RATM back in the early 90s, first time was at the London Astoria (capacity 1800) Paw was on the bill too, used to love them. Needless to saw they were incredible shows.

Saw Perfect Circle a couple of years ago too...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ghosts_on_TV

46 & 2, just ahead of me...
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...