Main Menu

Band Of Heathens

Started by Shug, Mar 05, 2012, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

http://nola.livemusicblog.com/2012/03/05/review-the-band-of-heathens-maple-leaf-bar-3312/

This review compares them to MMJ and Wilco.  On paper, they sound right up my alley, but I've yet to see them live.  Anybody seen them live?
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Ruckus

Quote from: Shug on Mar 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
http://nola.livemusicblog.com/2012/03/05/review-the-band-of-heathens-maple-leaf-bar-3312/

This review compares them to MMJ and Wilco.  On paper, they sound right up my alley, but I've yet to see them live.  Anybody seen them live?
I think Penny introduced them to me a couple of years back.  I've never seen them either and I found their albums to be a little too straight forward for my tastes.  But I have checked out some of their live stuff and it did sound better.  Dont know their material to add anything specific but in case you hadn't checked it out, they have over 100 shows on the LMA
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

They're terrific but I'm not sure I'd compare them to MMJ or Wilco---(I don't think ANYONE should be compared to either of these bands considering they're ever changing and genre bending). Luke Ruckus said, BOH are pretty straightforward, I'd compare them to Jackie Greene, Black Crowes, Grateful Dead at times or James McMurtry maybe? One foot in the Ether is my favorite album. Definitely give them a try!

The Band of Heathens "Somebody Tell the Truth"

MORE FUNK in this one: one of my favorites--

The Band of Heathens - You're Gonna Miss Me
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

iLikeBeer

Haven't seen them live, but I first got into them a couple of years ago when they played ACL.  Thought they were pretty tight in that performance.

Shug

Thanks for the recs!  Will check them out a bit more, appreciated!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Ruckus

Just thought I'd post this.  I don't know how many of you have a NoiseTrade account but today's featured download is 25 free songs from the BOH so that's that.  It's a free site with lots of good stuff available.  You can of course donate any amount of money as you choose for each download.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MMJTX

New Band of Heathens album "Stranger" is fantastic, listened all weekend.
Anytime

ChiefOKONO

Thanks, didn't know that the BoH had a new album out. I want to check it out.