J. Tillman/Father John Misty

Started by BH, Oct 09, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

He doesn't do much for me live based on what I've seen. Awkward stage presence/dancing, that whole weird act he does is wearing thin. Something about the vocals don't seem right either, like he's not synced up right with the band or he emphasizes different parts too much. He needs a guitar in his hands to keep them occupied. With that said, I still love Fear Fun.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

He's coming to a small club in St. Louis in January!    Wooooooo!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

i really like this album, but not too sure i could make it through a show.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jon T. on Nov 06, 2012, 05:02 PM

That's what I'm sayin'.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 06, 2012, 06:59 PM

That's what I'm sayin'.

What, the hip gyrating make you uncomfortable?   :smiley:  That just makes it all the better in my opinion.   He's a showman!    And all kinds of wierd.     Plus the music is GREAT and would stand on it's own, so he can get away with it.   

I like that version of Nancy, heavier drums.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

Quote from: BH on Nov 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 06, 2012, 06:59 PM

That's what I'm sayin'.

What, the hip gyrating make you uncomfortable?   :smiley:  That just makes it all the better in my opinion.   He's a showman!    And all kinds of wierd.     Plus the music is GREAT and would stand on it's own, so he can get away with it.   

I like that version of Nancy, heavier drums.
I guess, though I'm not sure I would even want to watch Mila Kunis dance like that. And I thought I could
watch her do anything!  Does sound great, though.

Fully

I love the gyrating and the hand gestures. It doesn't hurt that he sure has a pretty mouth on him. He's like a peacock.

Ob1jacobe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IqZ-lvktCyU#!

I like him like this.  With a guitar in hand.  I am use to his quirky stage presence but this is better.

GO4IT

Quote from: GO4IT on Oct 24, 2012, 12:07 AM
I waited a while before posting my comments just to let it all soak in and have a chance to listen to the vinyl version of Fear Fun which I bought at the show and listened to tonight.

The album is a good one, no doubt, but I'll need some more listens to really pass final judgement.

The show on Sat night left me a bit flat.  It was good, to be sure, but it didn't really elevate a notch or two from the studio versions of the tunes which I expect from a live show and after hearing all of the hype.  Plus, the show was only an hour long, including the encore.  Is this the best they could put out for a sold out show on a Sat night?  Maybe it was an off night.

The highlight of the night was running into Sassbox and Brock at the bar, unexpectedly, and watching the show with them!

OK, I have had a few more listens... well actually quite a few - it's been pretty much on continuous rotation on my platter.

This is a VERY good album.  High proportion of excellent songs and they very much hang together as a coherent album collection.

(...but I'm still kinda pissed about the short show in DC and the fact that Tillman didn't come out to sign my vinyl after I waited for half an hour)

BH

BH

lucylew

I was at a hipster bar in Portland recently and the bartender (named Cake Belly) recommended Father John Misty.  How could I not check 'em out?  Glad I did, Fear Fun is on near constant rotation.  I could go all fan girl on this band.

exist10z

I've had a few tracks from Fear Fun for a couple months and really like them (checked out primarily from people's recommendations here), but never felt really compelled to dig much deeper.

Then this morning I was listening to I'm Writing A Novel, and I realized he name dropped Sartre and Kierkegaard, two of my favorite philosophers.  Now I have to get the whole album.  I also checked out his Wikipedia, and apparently he's from Baltimore - my home town, now living in LA - my recently adopted living area, so I'm hooked. :grin:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

GO4IT

Took me a while to dig up the FJM thread and then I noticed that exist10z was the last poster back in Dec.  I sure hope he got the chance to listen to the whole album.

And, speaking of Baltimore, I just happened to check out the FJM website and saw that we have two upcoming shows in the area even though they are not yet listed on the venue websites - 9:30 club on 5/16 and the Ottobar, yes the freakin' Ottobar!, on 6/9.  Who's in?

Fully

Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
Took me a while to dig up the FJM thread and then I noticed that exist10z was the last poster back in Dec.  I sure hope he got the chance to listen to the whole album.

And, speaking of Baltimore, I just happened to check out the FJM website and saw that we have two upcoming shows in the area even though they are not yet listed on the venue websites - 9:30 club on 5/16 and the Ottobar, yes the freakin' Ottobar!, on 6/9.  Who's in?

My dream is to go with you and Ruckus along with your significant others to both the Ottobar and the 9:30 club. One day....

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Jan 28, 2013, 09:41 PM

My dream is to go with you and Ruckus along with your significant others to both the Ottobar and the 9:30 club. One day....

But not also me and Flake, Fully,  :cry:

I'd say if FJM has a Baltimore date on 6/9 then he will be at Bonnaroo.  Seems to be a very common pattern that bands are in Baltimore/DC just before or after Bonnaroo.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 29, 2013, 05:04 AM

I'd say if FJM has a Baltimore date on 6/9 then he will be at Bonnaroo.  Seems to be a very common pattern that bands are in Baltimore/DC just before or after Bonnaroo.
Sorry Whippy, I forgot that you ate in that area too. Definitely, you are included.

robb

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 29, 2013, 05:04 AM

Whippy, there have been several sources on inforoo confirming FJM at bonnaroo, probably on thursday based off of tour dates.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.