(Good) Holiday Music Mixes

Started by e_wind, Dec 04, 2012, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Was it on this forum in the past when there was an annual mix of holiday music that wasn't shit? Either way, lets do it.
People should post winter holiday related music that doesn't suck. No Frostys, No drummer boys, and especially no "simply having a wonderful Christmas times..." (Unless they're good-ass RnR covers.)

Xmas Curtain is an example of a song that we could use. Realistically I'd like to see some download links when we have compiled 13 or so song mix tapes, but I know the responsibility that we have in that area.

So, some songs to start us off:
Xmas Curtain - MMJ
Jingle Bells (instrumental) - Pearl Jam
Happy Xmas - John Lennon
Ill Be Home for Xmas - MMJ w/ BoH @ MSG 2011
She and Him - the Christmas Waltz

I have a ton more, ill need to look in my iTunes
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

The Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas albums are well worth getting. Smoking hot classics and some new tunes too.

Elvis' Chrismas album is a must own.

iLikeBeer

I downloaded this holiday mix from my Zune account:  Holidays Rule

Music from The Shins, Andrew Bird, Heartles Bastards, The Head and The Heart, Fruit Bats, Punch Bros., Calexico, Pres Hall w/Irma Thomas, and many more!   :thumbsup:

oistheone

One of my favorite holiday comps:

Featuring the smokin' FUNKY FUNKY CHRISTMAS

Funky Funky Christmas - Electric Jungle

Would also HIGHLY recommend the original Soul Christmas comp:

And while New Year's is still a ways off, no holiday mix is complete without "New Year's Resolution" by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas. Forget being one of my favorite holiday tracks, it's one of my favorite songs, period.

Shug

Umm, this will be hard to exclude tunes that don't suck in a group list cuz there are sure to be disagreements.  For example, I'll take McCartney at his cheesiest over Zooey Deschanel anyday, I can't fucking stand her voice.

So I'll try to pick things that most people won't hate.  I have a boatload of Christmas tunes that I like, so I'll have to think about it, but to get started how about:

Christmas Must Be Tonight by The Band

Christmas Must Be Tonight - The Band
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

pawpaw

I've got a MOJO compilation from a few years ago that's pretty good.

BLUE CHRISTMAS

1. The Flaming Lips – A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn't So)
2. Rufus Wainwright – Spotlight On Christmas
3. Marvin Gaye – Purple Snowflakes
4. The Staple Singers – Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas
5. The O'Jays – Christmas Ain't Christmas, New Years Ain't New Years Without The One You Love
6. Charles Brown – Please Come Home For Christmas
7. David McAlmont & David Arnold – Have Yourself A Merry Christmas
8. A Girl Called Eddy – The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot
9. James Brown – Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year Pts 1 & 2
10. Neal Casal – Cora Jones
11. The Handsome Family – So Much Wine
12. The Supremes – Just A Lonely Christmas
13. Ed Harcourt – In The Bleak Midwinter
14. B.B. King – Christmas Celebration
15. The Ventures –Jingle Bell Rock
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

Quote from: bbill on Dec 04, 2012, 12:45 PM
I've got a MOJO compilation from a few years ago that's pretty good.

BLUE CHRISTMAS

1. The Flaming Lips – A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn't So)
2. Rufus Wainwright – Spotlight On Christmas
3. Marvin Gaye – Purple Snowflakes
4. The Staple Singers – Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas
5. The O'Jays – Christmas Ain't Christmas, New Years Ain't New Years Without The One You Love
6. Charles Brown – Please Come Home For Christmas
7. David McAlmont & David Arnold – Have Yourself A Merry Christmas
8. A Girl Called Eddy – The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot
9. James Brown – Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year Pts 1 & 2
10. Neal Casal – Cora Jones
11. The Handsome Family – So Much Wine
12. The Supremes – Just A Lonely Christmas
13. Ed Harcourt – In The Bleak Midwinter
14. B.B. King – Christmas Celebration
15. The Ventures –Jingle Bell Rock

This is what I'm talking about. I'm trying to make some good mixes. They don't have to be xmas songs persay, but if they mention xmas they fit (i.e. xmas curtian).

and Shug - McCartney's christmas tune is THE WORST. Mostly because hes a FUCKING BEATLE and he wrote that.

I mean, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time vs. Happy Xmas is almost a joke, imo.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

And to think I call myself a proud syrup-sucking Canadian hoser. The greatest - and one of the funniest - Christmas songs of them all, by two of the greatest Canadians, SCTV's Bob and Doug McKenzie (skip to the 46 second mark):

Bob and Doug ~ 12 Days Of Christmas

Ruckus

Just got this Paste sampler via Noisetrade email.  Includes the likes of Sufjan Stevens, Great Lake Swimmers, and JD Macpherson.
http://www.noisetrade.com/pastemagazine
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

iLikeBeer

Shug

Shug

Quote from: e_wind on Dec 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
and Shug - McCartney's christmas tune is THE WORST. Mostly because hes a FUCKING BEATLE and he wrote that.

I mean, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time vs. Happy Xmas is almost a joke, imo.

Well its all a matter of opinion, and what sucks to someone else may be what another likes.

I think Zooey Deschanel is absolutely terrible and while I'm not a fan of McCartney's extremely cheesy Wonderful Christmas Time (recorded in the 80s when almost everyone was using horrible synthetic keyboards sounds) its still not as bad to me as anything Zooey has recorded.  You feel differently, that's fine, but my point is that you'll never get everyone to agree totally on what sucks and what doesn't, so trying to make an exclusion rule over what amounts to opinion is a lost cause.  If I can get a few good ideas of songs I'd like from someone else's list, I'm happy.  The stuff I don't like, I'll just pass on, but I won't ask people to not include it.

Shug

LD

It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

Shug