J. Tillman/Father John Misty

Started by BH, Oct 09, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

I'm with jont and true on this one.  I enjoyed Fear Fun quite a bit but I think his onstage schtick would annoy the hell out of me.  I saw him (J. Tillman) solo once opening for Phosphorescent 3 years ago and he was so emo/underwhelming and complained about being under the weather.  Having seen that, this act may rub me the wrong way for being overly contrived.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Angelo

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 29, 2013, 02:05 PM
I'm with jont and true on this one.  I enjoyed Fear Fun quite a bit but I think his onstage schtick would annoy the hell out of me.  I saw him (J. Tillman) solo once opening for Phosphorescent 3 years ago and he was so emo/underwhelming and complained about being under the weather.  Having seen that, this act may rub me the wrong way for being overly contrived.

I saw him a few weeks ago in Rochester and it was a great, great show. I highly recommend seeing him if you can. In my opinion it was a true rock and roll show, a lot of funny banter in between every song and they SOUNDED fantastic. There seemed to be zero schtick. I loved the show so much I'm seriously considering catching his upcoming Philly show.

Ruckus

Quote from: Angelo on Jan 29, 2013, 04:56 PM

I saw him a few weeks ago in Rochester and it was a great, great show. I highly recommend seeing him if you can. In my opinion it was a true rock and roll show, a lot of funny banter in between every song and they SOUNDED fantastic. There seemed to be zero schtick. I loved the show so much I'm seriously considering catching his upcoming Philly show.
I hear ya man.  Thanks for the input.  I've heard mostly great things about his live shows and the chance to see it at Ottobar has my interest piqued.

ralph

Catching him in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to it.
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ManNamedTruth

If he came to my area I'd take the chance and go, because I love fear Fun. That said, I haven't been that impressed by late night show performances and live youtube so far.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

GO4IT

Quote from: Fully on Jan 28, 2013, 09:41 PM
Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
Took me a while to dig up the FJM thread and then I noticed that exist10z was the last poster back in Dec.  I sure hope he got the chance to listen to the whole album.

And, speaking of Baltimore, I just happened to check out the FJM website and saw that we have two upcoming shows in the area even though they are not yet listed on the venue websites - 9:30 club on 5/16 and the Ottobar, yes the freakin' Ottobar!, on 6/9.  Who's in?

My dream is to go with you and Ruckus along with your significant others to both the Ottobar and the 9:30 club. One day....
Well, get yourself up here in June and we'll hit the Ottobar!  Ruckus will come to his senses by then and is sure to show up as well although we may have to restrain him if JT gets too weird.  And to make sure there are no hurt feelings I guess we'll even have to embrace those high-brow DC suburb dwellers like Mr. Whippy and Flake who are at least willing to experience a real down and dirty Baltimore venue.

Fully

Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM
Took me a while to dig up the FJM thread and then I noticed that exist10z was the last poster back in Dec.  I sure hope he got the chance to listen to the whole album.

And, speaking of Baltimore, I just happened to check out the FJM website and saw that we have two upcoming shows in the area even though they are not yet listed on the venue websites - 9:30 club on 5/16 and the Ottobar, yes the freakin' Ottobar!, on 6/9.  Who's in?

My dream is to go with you and Ruckus along with your significant others to both the Ottobar and the 9:30 club. One day....
Well, get yourself up here in June and we'll hit the Ottobar!  Ruckus will come to his senses by then and is sure to show up as well although we may have to restrain him if JT gets too weird.  And to make sure there are no hurt feelings I guess we'll even have to embrace those high-brow DC suburb dwellers like Mr. Whippy and Flake who are at least willing to experience a real down and dirty Baltimore venue.

I think funds are the issue right now. Otherwise I would be there. Maybe I'll be in a better place to travel by then. But I am coming up there one day. It's on my list of musical must-do's.

Devil Ledbetter

I saw him in Detroit in November. He is fantastic in concert. I dare say his singing is better in concert than on a studio album, and brother can sing! I don't get all the comments about his schtick. He does have a lot of attitude, but he is hilarious and a showman.

As much as I love the Fleet Foxes, Tillman belongs at the front of a stage, not behind a drum kit. Going off on his own was the right thing to do, as was dropping the oh-so-serious singer/songwriter persona .... which, by the way, is also a schtick.
We understand it's the '90s.

Angelo

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Jan 30, 2013, 07:53 AM
I saw him in Detroit in November. He is fantastic in concert. I dare say his singing is better in concert than on a studio album, and brother can sing! I don't get all the comments about his schtick. He does have a lot of attitude, but he is hilarious and a showman.

As much as I love the Fleet Foxes, Tillman belongs at the front of a stage, not behind a drum kit. Going off on his own was the right thing to do, as was dropping the oh-so-serious singer/songwriter persona .... which, by the way, is also a schtick.

You wrote exactly how I feel. If I were as articulate, this is what I would have said. Well said brother!

Ruckus

Heck yes his singer/songwriter stuff was schtick as well.  It was so overwrought I knew I wasn't supposed to hand him a tissue. 
Hopefully he found his real voice in this persona, the music which I enjoy far more than his solo stuff and Fleet Foxes.  This preview was illuminating enough.  http://www.subpop.com/bio/father_john_misty
Besides if BH swears by his show and aLady won't do the million mile death march to get to Sunny's in order to see him again, well I best be sold.   Aaaand he's another former local guy.

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 30, 2013, 09:12 AM

Heck yes his singer/songwriter stuff was schtick as well.  It was so overwrought I knew I wasn't supposed to hand him a tissue. 
Hopefully he found his real voice in this persona, the music which I enjoy far more than his solo stuff and Fleet Foxes.  This preview was illuminating enough.  http://www.subpop.com/bio/father_john_misty
Besides if BH swears by his show and aLady won't do the million mile death march to get to Sunny's in order to see him again, well I best be sold.   Aaaand he's another former local guy.

:grin:   All I know is you couldn't possibly see a FJM show and not walk away AT LEAST saying you were entertained.   And those fear fun songs are just brilliant imo.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Come Closer

I missed him in DC last year. I'll probably try to check out the Ottobar show.

yakeroo

Anyone else going to the Marathon Music Works show in Nashville? I agree with others on album of the year.Saw him with the Fleet Foxes and blew me away.

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM

Ha!  We'll put Fully on a bus to NYC to see the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.  Whippy and Flake make me not dislike high-brow DC suburb dwellers and it bothers me :bath:

BH

FJM back in St. Louis already in June!   He's a machine.   Just got more tickets.   :thumbsup:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

Quote from: BH on Feb 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
FJM back in St. Louis already in June!   He's a machine.   Just got more tickets.   :thumbsup:
This is bullshit! I haven't even seen him once yet! Play the Cain's, man!

Maybe I'll make the trip up there for that one. (beer)
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

GO4IT

Just got my tix for the FJM Ottobar show on June 9.  $39 for two including fees (16X2+7).
That's another nice thing about the Ottobar.
Come on and join the party!

MrWhippy

Quote from: GO4IT on Feb 01, 2013, 11:58 PM
Just got my tix for the FJM Ottobar show on June 9.  $39 for two including fees (16X2+7).
That's another nice thing about the Ottobar.
Come on and join the party!

Very tempted to join you at the Ottobar show, Rob.  Love that venue, was just there a couple nights ago for Pallbearer.  I could see FJM there being much more of a party than the 9:30 Club, which becomes doucheville far too often.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

BH

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 01, 2013, 07:16 PM
Quote from: BH on Feb 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
This is bullshit! I haven't even seen him once yet! Play the Cain's, man!

Maybe I'll make the trip up there for that one. (beer)

That would be great!

Fully

Quote from: yakeroo on Jan 30, 2013, 04:03 PM
Anyone else going to the Marathon Music Works show in Nashville? I agree with others on album of the year.Saw him with the Fleet Foxes and blew me away.
Me, Yakeroo!