tidbit memories from the OBH shows

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 01, 2014, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaye

Carl starting to walk off stage and then his funny expression as he realized the rest of the band was taking a bow.  And the rest of the guys cracking up about it. 

As for the music - what Whippy said. 

ms. yvon

jaye, that Carl moment was hilarious!  thanks for reminding me of it!

getting back to my room every night wearing second-hand glitter  :thumbsup:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

rincon2

I got video of Thong Boy with his sack hanging out. After watching it I realized he was the nut on the second level of the stage area rooms, who was naked on the balcony hanging his junk on the rail, yelling at all the women across the quad who were on their second floor balcony. I'll post that goofy bastards video later.

I'm sorry I missed tube top, and never met itbeatsforjew (not that I know of). His name came up in conversation with the dorks I hung with.

Angelo

The occasional raindrop that would land on me during Harvest Moon.

Penny Lane

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Feb 01, 2014, 08:33 PM
What Whippy said  :thumbsup: Elizabeth, Juan and David our amazingly friendly and helpful servers- would love to see them annually! Late night beach hangouts with Chupacabra's and Kevin's humor.  :beer:

Don't forget Minerva!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 01, 2014, 08:17 PM
MMJ Night 1 – Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn, Master Plan, Steam Engine

MMJ Night 1 – I Know You Rider, Brown Eyed Women, Cobra, Tyrone, Easy Morning Rebel, Mahgeetah

MMJ Night 2 - EVERY FUCKING SECOND OF IT

MMJ Night 3 – Carried Away, O, Strangulation, end of Run Thru, Dondante, Don't Do It, Anytime

Mariachi El Bronx absolutely killing it, and ItBeats4Jew playing maracas along to their set

Flaming Lips covering Heroes (David Bowie)

I was feeling it!  I'm ready to go on Mariachi El Bronx tour.

My favorite memory was the in front of the soundboard crew and sprinting up there from our balcony w/ my family when O started to share that moment with everyone. 
what Madonna said really helped

Evil Urges In SoCal

Sitting on our balcony and seeing a guy wearing a speedo and a Hawaiian shirt while eating spaghetti out of a fedora...... :thumbsup:

mahg33ta

ms yvon getting DOWN to my left from the first note to the last

JSK

The way the band feed off the absolute ecstatic fans when they started OBH. They then proceeded to go crazy. Can't wait for it to come out downloadable. It'll then replace my Okonokos OBH as my new fav.

Carl stole the week, imho

The band seemed to genuinely enjoy their shows, which made this week mean all the more.

So glad we went...it will be hard to top...but I'll keep going to see if they can  :grin:

jaye

cride3332

1) Within an hour of getting there I heard Golden during sound check. Now,I have heard Golden a lot, but something about it was so spiritual that it is hard to describe.

2) The transition from War Begun > IWSYS

3) Dondante was mind blowing! It took the night to another stratosphere. Watching it again brought years of joy to my face. Honestly, all 3 nights were collectively as good of a musical experience as I've ever experienced. For me, only RR 2012 rivals it.

4) the people were awesome. My wife and I hung out with some great people. That is what really separated this event from anything else that I've experienced.

5) The covers...mainly the ones I hadn't heard - Harvest Moon, All Night Long. All Night Long was off the hook!

6) "The Speedo Guy"...After the Lips set the crowd had cleared out and my wife noticed him running around and didn't want to pass up the photo op. The dude was absolutely loving life. As he made his way over it wasn't hard to notice something hanging out of his speedo. That's when I absolutely lost it. Only a few in our group noticed. My wife and another guy in the pic had no idea. By far the funniest thing that I saw all week.

There are so many awesome memories that could spend a week writing about them. I can't wait until next year:)

Gina

sb_gli

Standing behind McLovin
wayne's very appropriate catch of the blow up doll
drinks brought to you in the middle of the crowd
Black Metal
Harvest Moon
everything else before and after that
all drinks being tossed in the air for OBH

could it really have been any better?

ericm

Quote from: Gina on Feb 02, 2014, 10:48 PM
Getting my MMJ cherry popped!

Looks like you picked a great way to finally do it.  :thumbsup:  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

justbcuzido

Quote from: jaye on Feb 02, 2014, 04:03 PM
Quote from: JSK on Feb 02, 2014, 02:59 PM

I agree!

I also agree. I think it was during "I Know You Rider", but when Carl and Bob Weir were facing off, having a guitar solo duel. Not only was my mouth agape, but Two Tone as well. I watched his face the whole time. His Jaw was to the floor and Bob looked over and he mouthed the words "Holy Fucking Shit" to Bob & Carl. Bob smiled and nodded his way.

Carl was out of control. I just feel the band was in sync on a level I have never thought possible
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

themarsvolta

Quote from: justbcuzido on Feb 03, 2014, 07:47 PM
Quote from: jaye on Feb 02, 2014, 04:03 PM

I agree!

I also agree. I think it was during "I Know You Rider", but when Carl and Bob Weir were facing off, having a guitar solo duel. Not only was my mouth agape, but Two Tone as well. I watched his face the whole time. His Jaw was to the floor and Bob looked over and he mouthed the words "Holy Fucking Shit" to Bob & Carl. Bob smiled and nodded his way.

Carl was out of control. I just feel the band was in sync on a level I have never thought possible

Yes!!! That was an awesome moment... Gave me goosebumps again just now thinking about it! Carl looked as happy as ever and it was great to catch that!

@@

ms. yvon

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 02, 2014, 02:42 PM
ms yvon getting DOWN to my left from the first note to the last
:beer: :grin:

seeing each familiar face for the first time upon arriving:
-scosby was first on the shuttle to the hotel
-poster line was THE place to spot pals
-my pal barb offering ghosts a shot of tequila from her backpack
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

JTG1975

The way the band feed off the absolute ecstatic fans when they started OBH. They then proceeded to go crazy. Can't wait for it to come out downloadable. It'll then replace my Okonokos OBH as my new fav.

The band seemed to genuinely enjoy their shows, which made this week mean all the more.

So glad we went...it will be hard to top...but I'll keep going to see if they can  :grin:

Agree on all fronts.

mtngurl

ms. yvon letting me butt in the poster line with her  :smiley:
sitting early on the rail night one just so stoked to be there after a day at the pool. In JANUARY!
water aerobics with crazylove and pennylane.
crazy birds trying to get my fries!
fantastic massages, two in one day once.
Being a glutton and a drunk. Feeding the tapeworm in my belly.
Friends calling to us from their balcony or down the hall.
Trays of drinks constantly through the crowd.
Really could not have been much better. Still have a perma grin, even in the cold and snow.
What would have made it better was if more of my pals could have been there. You know who you are!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

KittyKy

Should have posted this here...

couple of random thoughts on OBH:
-who stole Bo's hat on night one? He looked like the guy who cooked our dinner at Zen :grin:
-was very surprised how much I missed the bears on stage. weird but true
-many have said it, Carl fucking light it up all week. love him and carried away
-merch gone after one day, lesson learned
-black metal, holy shit that was fun
-biggest buzz was The Lips/dance part, go figure.
-enjoyed the bobby tunes, that was different
-mclovin photo bombing us!
-who was the dude standing behind Patrick for the last couple of tunes on last night?
-so much fun, great people, awesome music. can't wait to do it again