Main Menu

Bahamas

Started by oistheone, Oct 01, 2012, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Afie Jurvanen is the man. He is from Toronto and he tours with two harmony singers and a drummer under the name Bahamas. He grew up playing music with the guys from Zeus (another band that everyone here needs to know), toured as Feist's lead guitarist, and has generally been all over the Toronto scene the last five or so years. He is a hell of a songwriter, a wizard on the axe and possesses one of the most expressive and unique voices I've ever heard.

With a recent appearance on Conan, it seems like this guy is finally getting some career traction down south. But does anyone else have some love for this triple-threat musical talent? Because you should. I created this thread because I know you all love good music, and I think this guy makes some good music.

Some mellow stuff:

Bahamas :: Lost In The Light

A little more rockin:

I Got You Babe - Bahamas (Live)

Pop heaven:

'Caught Me Thinking' by Bahamas

Jammin' with the aforementioned Zeus and Jason Collett:

BAHAMAS 'What's Worse' live in Philly

Jaimoe

He're really freaking talented.

oistheone

Just continuing my pro-Bahamas push. One day it'll take. Here's a track of his new album coming out in August:

Bahamas - All The Time

oistheone

Would you look at that? Just released tour dates, right on cue! Check him out people, I urge ya!

07/12 Charlottetown, PE - Big Red Music Festival
07/27 Edmonton, AB - Interstellar Rodeo
09/10 Fredericton, NB - Shivering Songs
09/12 Portland, ME - Empire
09/13 Boston, MA - Great Scott
09/15 Philadelphia, PA - Boot & Saddle
09/17 New York City, NY - Le Poisson Rouge
09/18 Washington, DC - DC9
09/19 Raleigh, NC - Cat's Cradle
09/21 Atlanta, GA - The Earl
09/22 Nashville, TN - High Watt
10/01 Chicago, IL - Schubas
10/02 Indianapolis, IN - Hi Fi
10/03 St Louis, MO - Blueberry Hill
10/04 Kansas City, MO - Czar
10/07 Denver, CO - Larimer Lounge
10/10 Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy Theatre
10/11 San Francisco, CA - Slim's
10/14 Portland, OR - Doug Fir
10/15 Seattle, WA - Columbia City Theater
10/16 Victoria, BC - Alix Goolden Hall
10/17 Vancouver, BC - Vogue Theatre
10/18 Kelowna, BC - Habitat
10/20 Calgary, AB - Knox United Church
10/22 Saskatoon, SK - Broadway Theatre
10/23 Winnipeg, MA - Garrick Centre
10/25 Minneapolis, MN - Triple Rock
11/05 Toronto, ON - The Danforth Music Hall
11/06 Montreal, QC - Métropolis
11/07 Sherbrooke, QC - Théâtre Granada
11/08 Quebec City, QC - Imperial Theatre

Also, watch this because it's beautiful and also hilarious:

Bahamas - Please Forgive My Heart

WastedLittleWeeza

Never Again is one of my favorite Sunday afternoon songs

oistheone

Alright guys, Bahamas is hittin' up Louisville and Nashville this weekend. PLEASE GO SEE HIM! It's a cheap ticket and I guarantee an overwhelming feeling of enjoyment.

He also will be playing Bonnaroo which brings me great joy. Seems to be getting some nice exposure stateside! Atta boy Afie!

oistheone

Bahamas' latest album Earthtones is out now and it is one magically funky specimen. The almighty Pino Palladino joins Bahamas to lend his talents on bass and his subsonic bounce elevates this record to a contender for grooviest album of the year.

Can't get enough of these tunes:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1MtgAeyTRBViBtL2U1PRgJ

https://open.spotify.com/track/70vQfYqtocMiW8LA1VLwVR

Can't get enough of this album at all, actually. Picked up the vinyl and it's one of the best sounding pressings I've heard in years!

Y'all MMJ fans owe it to yourself to check this guy out. Afie is the one of the very best guitar players in the world right now. (In the Carl stratosphere for sure). This guy can shred with the best of them, but his bubbly and incredibly unique rhythm work is what puts Afie in a league of his own.

One of the rare albums that sounds just as good as Saturday night turn-up music or as Sunday morning hangover tunes. Positively delicious!

rna2525

Damn 3 yrs between posts ...ill give him a shot.ty

bearlyowlsome

Highly recommend Bahamas. Afie Jurvanen is a tremendous vocalist and songwriter. I am a bit surprised by the lack of love here on the forum.

Throughout COVID he has (so far) released 5 Live to Tape Recordings on the Bahamas YouTube Channel and they sound amazing. They are all about 20 minutes or so long and to be honest I cannot stop watching them.  Best part, he is performing his songs with several well known back up musicians the likes of Gene Crisman, the Teskey Brothers and the 400 Unit. Highly satisfying with every listen.

Also latest album "Sad Hunk" is next to perfect.

Check them out, what do you have to lose???

sillyboob

I saw Bahamas a couple years ago at Ohana Fest and they were great, with a mellow afternoon set.  I just listened to the 400 Unit set, I dug it. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

bearlyowlsome

If you liked the 400 unit set check out the one with Lucius...think it's episode 4...so good....