Bonnaroo 2015?

Started by itrainmonkeys, Jan 08, 2015, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itrainmonkeys

Insider originally said no to MMJ but she then clarified that she basically knows the top 4 and had assumed they would be there. This was after others had been told to through sources that MMJ would indeed be on the farm this year.

From Inforoo:

Quote from: insiderLet me clarify on me saying 'out' for MMJ.......that is only based upon me knowing those top 4 and assuming if MMJ was there, they would be up with those 4. 

So still possible. Obviously, nothing is set in stone until we get it officially but I'm feeling good about them being on the farm. Even if they aren't there this year they'll have to be back next year.

wonderfulman

Not that I have an inside source, but I think MMJ will 100% be there. New album, already confirmed Gov Ball (the week before). All signs point to them making a return.

Stevie

It certainly makes all the sense in the world to have MMJ back on the farm..

Nothing confirmed yet on Inforoo but people certainly seem to be holding out hope still. 

And yeah, if the top 4 were Billy Joel, Kendrick Lamar, Deadmau5, and Mumford, then MMJ sadly would not be in that top for (due to it being based solely on popularity and not musical merit... obviously)

parkervb

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 12, 2015, 03:42 PM
It certainly makes all the sense in the world to have MMJ back on the farm..

Nothing confirmed yet on Inforoo but people certainly seem to be holding out hope still. 

And yeah, if the top 4 were Billy Joel, Kendrick Lamar, Deadmau5, and Mumford, then MMJ sadly would not be in that top for (due to it being based solely on popularity and not musical merit... obviously)

the big festies are certainly falling into the following set up for headliners:  Classic Rock Band Revival du jour, Hip Hop Star du Jour, EDM person, Hip Rock Band du jour (even though Mumford was more du jour a couple of years ago).

Don't you ever turn it off

Stevie

In a matter of hours, we will have our answer. 

By the way, someone posted something on inforoo about MMJ that i absolutely had to respond to.. in doing so i think i've come up with a theory.  Their initial post is italicized, my response is below that in normal font.

Still talking new/potential headliners:

...same for MMJ. I've already said this somewhere, but two albums in ten years is not convincing at all. Especially when those two albums are Evil Urges and Circuital. Like, one's decent and the other's solid, and I think they'd be headlining if they had two solid albums and two decent ones in ten years, or just one great record and one solid one, but they don't. They've been putting out ok albums every five years and that won't get you to a headliner unless you've already got a lot more great/massive albums under your belt than MMJ does.

While your argument certainly has its merits, let's get some facts straight (and yes, this is probably way more than you ever wanted to discuss MMJ ;) )

Off the top of my head:

The Tennessee Fire:  1999
At Dawn: 2001
It Still Moves:  2003
Z: 2005
Evil Urges: 2008
Circuital: 2011
--------------------------
New Album A: April 2015
New Album B: 2016

So, in the past 10 years, they have released 3 albums with a fourth on the way that will drop two months prior to Bonnaroo.  It's worth noting that between Circuital and the newest album that will be released in April, Jim has produced a solo album which included a fairly lengthy tour.  Add that to two full MMJ tours, and another in which they traveled with Bob Dylan and Wilco, and you can see why this last one took a little longer.  How does that impact their festival status?  I'm not sure.  I would like to believe that they picked up some extra younger fans by including Band of Horses on their 2012 tour, and perhaps scooped up some of the older generation on the 2013 Americanarama tour.

Still, while most of us would agree that they put on a better show than Billy Joel, Deadmau5, Mumford or Kendrick Lamar (albeit much different, save for perhaps Mumford), no one would say that they are as popular as those four this year.  However, in terms of finally achieving that headlining slot, it's all lining up perfectly for MMJ in 2016.  If not at Bonnaroo, then perhaps Coachella.  Picture it:  New Album A drops in April, and it's very very good.  They put on another epic late night set on the farm (as well as other festivals), tour basically from June to NYE, and the buzz is strong once again.  Then, new album B comes out in early 2016 and it's full throttle, warp speed to the top of the poster.  Looking at it from the top down, perhaps this was the Master Plan all along. 

Read more: http://inforoo.com/thread/32659/2015-headliner-thread-wanna-dead?page=562#ixzz3Oic8CDDo

---------------------------------------

MMJ612

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 13, 2015, 11:19 AM
In a matter of hours, we will have our answer. 

By the way, someone posted something on inforoo about MMJ that i absolutely had to respond to.. in doing so i think i've come up with a theory.  Their initial post is italicized, my response is below that in normal font.

Still talking new/potential headliners:

...same for MMJ. I've already said this somewhere, but two albums in ten years is not convincing at all. Especially when those two albums are Evil Urges and Circuital. Like, one's decent and the other's solid, and I think they'd be headlining if they had two solid albums and two decent ones in ten years, or just one great record and one solid one, but they don't. They've been putting out ok albums every five years and that won't get you to a headliner unless you've already got a lot more great/massive albums under your belt than MMJ does.

While your argument certainly has its merits, let's get some facts straight (and yes, this is probably way more than you ever wanted to discuss MMJ ;) )

Off the top of my head:

The Tennessee Fire:  1999
At Dawn: 2001
It Still Moves:  2003
Z: 2005
Evil Urges: 2008
Circuital: 2011
--------------------------
New Album A: April 2015
New Album B: 2016

So, in the past 10 years, they have released 3 albums with a fourth on the way that will drop two months prior to Bonnaroo.  It's worth noting that between Circuital and the newest album that will be released in April, Jim has produced a solo album which included a fairly lengthy tour.  Add that to two full MMJ tours, and another in which they traveled with Bob Dylan and Wilco, and you can see why this last one took a little longer.  How does that impact their festival status?  I'm not sure.  I would like to believe that they picked up some extra younger fans by including Band of Horses on their 2012 tour, and perhaps scooped up some of the older generation on the 2013 Americanarama tour.

Still, while most of us would agree that they put on a better show than Billy Joel, Deadmau5, Mumford or Kendrick Lamar (albeit much different, save for perhaps Mumford), no one would say that they are as popular as those four this year.  However, in terms of finally achieving that headlining slot, it's all lining up perfectly for MMJ in 2016.  If not at Bonnaroo, then perhaps Coachella.  Picture it:  New Album A drops in April, and it's very very good.  They put on another epic late night set on the farm (as well as other festivals), tour basically from June to NYE, and the buzz is strong once again.  Then, new album B comes out in early 2016 and it's full throttle, warp speed to the top of the poster.  Looking at it from the top down, perhaps this was the Master Plan all along. 

Read more: http://inforoo.com/thread/32659/2015-headliner-thread-wanna-dead?page=562#ixzz3Oic8CDDo

---------------------------------------

Well said Stevie!  :thumbsup:

itrainmonkeys

Yea, that was a great post Stevie. It's too bad that the Headliner thread is a dumpster fire that never stops moving. Otherwise your post would probably get more attention/discussion.

Fingers crossed for a Roo late night extravaganza. Bring out Marcus Mumford and Brittany Howard as guests and we're on the right track.

oistheone

Give me a late night blowout and/or D'Angelo on the lineup and I'm there.

If I can't get either of those options, this is gonna be a tough call.

BigHerm

I really need tour dates soon if MMJ is announced tonight. Don't want to book anything before we find out about Red Rocks.

oistheone

Exactly. Feel like the best option might just be holding out for a month or two and then making an informed (and ridiculous) decision once all the cards are on the table.

Stevie

Its always best to know the score before making big decisions like this.  Sure, you may score an early bird ticket by acting fast but when it all comes down to it the small savings arent really that important.  Bonnaroo usually takes quite a while to sell out anyway, right?

Stevie

So.. this is the latest list that is going around by (seemingly) one of the more prominent inforoo posters:

Billy Joel - Mumford & Sons - Kendrick Lamar - Deadmau5
Florence + the Machine - My Morning Jacket - Alabama Shakes - Robert Plant
Bassnectar - Belle & Sebastian - Death Cab for Cutie - Weezer - TV on the Radio - Modest Mouse
Alt-J - J. Cole - Earth, Wind & Fire - Tame Impala - Ratatat - Twenty One Pilots - Flume - The War on Drugs
Beach House - Run the Jewels - Sun Kil Moon - Future Islands - STS9 - Father John Misty - Caribou - Medeski, Martin, Scofield & Wood

Read more: http://inforoo.com/thread/32659/2015-headliner-thread-wanna-dead?page=571#ixzz3OjajxbQ1

Someone asked about another artist (Flying Lotus :D), and he said he couldn't confirm him so he wasn't on his list.. This made me feel like maybe these bands were at least somewhat confirmed, so i inquired if this is the case.  Response should come soon. 

MMJ and Tame Impala at the same festival would be a win in and of itself. 

oistheone

Roo doesn't usually "sell out" until a week or so before the fest, which is why I'm confident waiting this one out. Having said that, I'm still hoping for a bitchin' lineup. And no one has a CLUE as to who will be hosting the SuperJams, so while the majority of the lineup is already known, that's gonna be a nice surprise.

BigHerm

ITM - what is going on with BLAM this year? Is there no show at all? Will they have anything streaming? (Past performances, etc)

Or is it just going to be announced on twitter?

timescaper

yes some past performances and preview of the video from skrillex superjam  :cry:

oistheone

AAAAHAHAHA I just called the Roo hotline and got MMJ of all bands!

WOOOO MMJ ROO 2015 !!!

Stevie

The force is strong with you O! :D

I've been trying to call, thinking that would happen to me.. but busy signal all the way so far. 

So happy right now!

Stevie

All we need now is some Tame Impala and i'm set. 

BigHerm

BigHerm

Dawes
MMJ
Mumford
Rhiannon Giddens