Murph

Quote from: BigHerm on Jan 13, 2015, 07:47 PM
Dawes
MMJ
Mumford
Rhiannon Giddens

All ya need is Costello..

dookie shoot bandit

Definitely looks like a Basement Tapes Super Jam.... Or at least a Basenent Tapes seperate set?

I have been to Bonnaroo 4 times, but not since 2008... Might be time to get back to the farm :thumbsup:

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: BigHerm on Jan 13, 2015, 03:56 PM
ITM - what is going on with BLAM this year? Is there no show at all? Will they have anything streaming? (Past performances, etc)

Or is it just going to be announced on twitter?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Was busy organizing stuff on Inforoo. No show. Just weird announcements. Half hour till we get official full lineup I guess.

At least we got MMJ Confirmed!

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: Murph on Jan 13, 2015, 08:13 PM
Dawes
MMJ
Mumford
Rhiannon Giddens

Think he'll be out of town but we'll see. They could still pull it off even if Costello isn't around. I'd be so happy for it.

ms. yvon

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 13, 2015, 05:57 PM
AAAAHAHAHA I just called the Roo hotline and got MMJ of all bands!

WOOOO MMJ ROO 2015 !!!
:beer:

GAME ON EVERYBODY!

mmj and EARTH, WIND AND FIRE.  SWEET MOTHER OF GOD.  i love bonnaroo so hard.  :bath:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

ellisintransit

WOOOO!  Between MMJ, Earth Wind and Fire, the William Onyeabor tribute, and MFing Tears for Fears, the ticket is already worth the price.  This is going to my 11th year on the farm.  Can't wait to see what the new MMJ aesthetic is.   :cheesy:

gluvmiller

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jan 13, 2015, 08:31 PM
Quote from: Murph on Jan 13, 2015, 08:13 PM
Dawes
MMJ
Mumford
Rhiannon Giddens

Think he'll be out of town but we'll see. They could still pull it off even if Costello isn't around. I'd be so happy for it.

Costello is def out of the country during the Bonaroo dates, but really he's the least of the talent in the Basement Tapes

Stevie

So.. i've been thinking...

I have never been at Bonnaroo while the guys were there.  So seeing the two hour set in 2011 after back to back 3.5+ hour performances really kind of baffled me.  But i did some more digging and realized that those long late night shows were not on the main stage, they were on the "which" stage.  However, in 2011, Lil Wayne played the late night "MMJ Spot" on the which stage.  So i'm wondering, was that the band's decision? 

Obviously, the What stage is massive and would attract a lot of attention.  Were they attempting to reach a bigger audience to garner more interest in Circuital?  Or was it simply a matter of wanting to play the headlining stage, just to play it?  Either way, i'm slightly concerned that we have seen the last of MMJ at the late night which stage slot.  There is a big difference between a 2 hour festival set and a 3.5 hour, anything goes blowout.  The first is.. cool.. but maybe not something i want to drive 12 hours for.  The second, i would put the cost on credit if i had to. 

I know this isn't something to really get bent out of shape over, but i hope I'm wrong in my theory. 

dookie shoot bandit

The last two late night sets were not both on the which stage.
2008 - yes, but 2006 - was in one of the tents (this/that)....
In my opinion 2011 was the 6th time they were paying there, they probably wanted the opportunity to play the What Stage and not during the early parts of the day, but also as a pre-headliner.
Also agree... Probably a marketing tool as well, with the chance to promote Circuital, and broaden their fan base.

Stevie

Right.  So then the question is:  Which will they choose this time?  I feel like i already know the answer and it's a little disappointing.  This would be so much easier if they had simply made them a headliner and put deadmau5 in a tent where he belongs.  That way they could close a night with a three hour set on the what stage.  I guess we will see. 

itrainmonkeys

I'm not totally sure they get a huge say in what spot they play. I always assumed they took the What stage in 2011 because it is the biggest crowd and was basically a headliner slot from previous years. Obviously Arcade Fire was the actual headliner but the slot that MMJ had was a prime spot. I, too, was baffled by that though because I selfishly wanted them to have another 3 hour set.

This year I'm really, really hoping they get slotted in the Which stage late night slot they had in 2008. That was such an epic show and they could certainly deliver that performance again. It seems clear that they're either going to get What stage pre-headliner again or Which Stage late night. I can't see them being slotted in a tent. I also would be very disappointed if they got like an hour and a half on the Which stage in the afternoon (like Gov't Mule got a couple years ago).

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 24, 2015, 01:59 PM
Right.  So then the question is:  Which will they choose this time?  I feel like i already know the answer and it's a little disappointing.  This would be so much easier if they had simply made them a headliner and put deadmau5 in a tent where he belongs.  That way they could close a night with a three hour set on the what stage.  I guess we will see.

Look at the set times for OBH. Maybe Jacket doesn't want to play for 3 hours anymore...maybe the short shows from AmericanaRama changed the way the look at their live shows. I hope none of this is the case, because a 3 hour mmj show is a helluva lot more exciting than a 2 hour show filled with "greatest hits".
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

dookie shoot bandit

I definitely agree. They will either play right before Mumford and Sons on the What Stage, or hopefully get that late night set on Friday on the Which Stage. 2006 and 2008 were both unbelievable years when they weren't constrained by time.
I actually have a feeling Deadmaus will be the Saturday late night set. The late night sets have actually turned into headliner status, especially for that type of music. I don't listen to that, but correct me if I'm wrong but Skrillex is just as big or bigger than Desdmaus, and he got the late night set last year. I have a feeling Kendrick or Florence will headline Friday night.
Just a thought...

Stevie

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 24, 2015, 02:31 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Jan 24, 2015, 01:59 PM

Look at the set times for OBH. Maybe Jacket doesn't want to play for 3 hours anymore...maybe the short shows from AmericanaRama changed the way the look at their live shows. I hope none of this is the case, because a 3 hour mmj show is a helluva lot more exciting than a 2 hour show filled with "greatest hits".

Oh god i hope not.  Im just going to go ahead and refuse to believe any of that.   :wink:

Stevie

yeah, i think that was probably obvious the minute their tour schedule came out.

No way they were playing friday after a three nighter tues-thurs and no way they would play sunday. 

itrainmonkeys

Since it's looking like MMJ not getting a late night I'm hoping we at least get Jim/Carl involved in the Superjam again. And at least a 2 hour set on the What stage before Mumford.

wonderfulman

Any idea when they announce the late-night acts? If they do get a late-night, I might make the move.

ellisintransit

Looking at my saved emails it appears the schedule usually drops around the beginning of May.  Sometimes they'll announce the late night acts before the actual schedule.  In 2010 they announced the late night acts in late April.  So, I'd say another month and change before we know.  From reading this thread it appears they aren't playing late night, but I don't know if that's conjecture or what so until I hear otherwise I will hope beyond hope for another late night set.  I was at both the '06 and '08 late night sets, and bloody hell that's where it's at.  You really get the hardcore fans for those, plus the people who may not know about them that stumble upon the awesomeness.

Stevie

After it was discovered that there would not be late night MMJ, and after Chicago was announced, i have about 5% desire to go to Bonnaroo and deal with that heat all weekend for a 2 hour festival set.  Granted, there will surely be some great collaborations and the potential for a Super Jam is there is well.  Will wait and see the schedule when it comes out but i'm most likely bailing on my plans to venture south for this.