thoughts, observations & reviews of The Beacon Shows

Started by headhunter, Nov 24, 2015, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderfulman

Quote from: Murph on Nov 25, 2015, 01:18 PM
So many highlights to choose from, but was that not the best version of Picture of You that anyone has ever heard.  It's crazy to see what that song has become... God I can't wait to do that all over again tonight

I was just about to say, how has no one mentioned the "Picture of You: jam. Such an amazing surprise.

CHIMMJFAN

So many highlights to choose from, but was that not the best version of Picture of You that anyone has ever heard.  It's crazy to see what that song has become... God I can't wait to do that all over again tonight

I can't wait to hear "picture of you" I'm really hoping these are made available!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

beardedwonder

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

jcc0065

jcc0065

there are already videos up on youtube from tonight. THAT JIM WAR BEGUN SOLO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? best solo ive seen or heard from him this year, bar none

buymycar

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Nov 25, 2015, 01:33 PM

I can't wait to hear "picture of you" I'm really hoping these are made available!

CHIMMJFAN

There is a nice recording of the SF1 show in the Tapings section of the board which includes Picture of You.

oistheone

Night two kicked SO MUCH ASS! Walking out, I said to myself that was the best show I've ever seen -- Jacket or not!!! What a night!

Phone was out of this world. And that power ending of State/Anytime/Mahgeetah was the perfect way to cap an all out barnburner of a show.

Need to hear this show again right now. Still ridin' high!!

Stevie

I'm thinking and hoping that they will bust out another song from Regions of Light in the next two nights.  Either God's Love to Deliver or All is Forgiven, one of the two they REALLY jammed on on his solo tour and I would love to see what the full band could do with it. 

Stevie

Quote from: jcc0065 on Nov 26, 2015, 02:49 AM
there are already videos up on youtube from tonight. THAT JIM WAR BEGUN SOLO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? best solo ive seen or heard from him this year, bar none

Not to be a downer, just for matter of debate, i'm not a fan of what Jim has done to the War Begun solo.  And that used to be my absolutely favorite song.  In my opinion when he goes all "metal hands" it often falls out of rhythm and breaks the enormous momentum that the band had going (and to me comes off as cheesy).  To me, it was perfect around 2011-2012 (first time i heard it live at least) but maybe this an ugly duckling phase on the way to something even more spectacular.  /unasked-for-critique

Mr. White

This photo of the Beacon Theatre was posted by My Morning Jacket on Twitter about 8 minutes ago (7:24 p.m. Eastern Time).

Edit: Jeremy Ross - photographer
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

dexter

Quote from: Mr. White on Nov 27, 2015, 07:32 PM
This photo of the Beacon Theatre was posted by My Morning Jacket on Twitter about 8 minutes ago (7:24 p.m. Eastern Time).

Edit: Jeremy Ross - photographer
i think this pic is from Tuesday night right?

Anybody sit row a loge for these shows?  Looks like an awesome spot fronm this pic and it appears people stood behind you so as well?

adam_pliskow

I have B tonight and have sat in A before.  It's a killer vantage point and the sound is amazing.

ericm

"Where's Jim going?"

WinstonLegthigh

Reading these Beacon setlists stings- I had tickets for months and it was all systems are go as recently as the beginning of November. Then, life happened. I hope everyone that made it to this mini-NY residency enjoyed the shows- can't wait to hear them (I assume they'll harvest audio from the soundboard and throw them up for purchase like Port Chester/Red Rocks/One Big Holiday).

LB

These have to be some of the craziest set lists in a while
no you never gotta fight with me

headhunter

These past 4 shows were truly outstanding.

The energy last night was spectacular and the show was one of my all-time favorites.

Nights 1 and 4 were my favorites for sure.  MMJ totally owned the Beacon crowd.  I've seen dozens of bands at The Beacon over the years but don't recall seeing shows were basically no one sat the whole night.

One for the ages.  This run was up there with T5 and the 3 Port Chester shows for me.  Great to see so many old friends and meet some wonderful new peeps.

Happy holidays everyone.  Thanks for sharing the love.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

dexter

The moment of silence was special. At first I thought some idiot was gonna ruin it, but Jim got everyone quiet to reflect. To hear such silence was remarkable. Glad everyone showed respect.

tbear

What a great run. Each night was special in its own way, with the night one and night 4 really standing out.

I think the last hour and a half of night 4 may be the most intense Jacket moment I have ever had. It was beautifully relentless, and basically knowing what was coming, what was left that needed to be played, really created a wonderful anticipation. At least for me.

The moment of silence was profound.

As for the Beacon: I have be going for since Jimmy Cliff in 1984. I thought the staff was fantastic, the sound supreme, drinks easy to acquire and always just so convenient to get to. And I will echo Headhunter: The Jacket absolutely owned the Beacon. I was just a little worried: The Beacon is not always an easy room. But no one sat the whole time - not something I ever remember being the case. Owned it.

dontgetupset

Takeaways from the 4 shows in no particular order (I went to all but Friday)

-Jim made it pretty clear at the beginning of the moment of silence that it was a moment of silence. Since there are always a handful of idiots at any concert people began screaming their "Freebird!" or "I love you Jim" nonsense the moment it was supposed to start. Jim super smoothly reiterated what was going on and the moment of silence succeeded mightily.

- Covering I love you all the time was incredible. I honestly had never even heard of EODM before the tragic events but this song is INSTANTLY likeable and just an awesome song performed by this band. It fits so impressively that I predict it enters regular rotation (whenever that rotation starts up again).

-Every member of this band is so amazing on their respective instruments. For each member to play at the level they played throughout this run (literally PERFECTION) just amazes me. I never really developed my bass skills so I can't appreciate it to the same extent that a professional musician would but these guys do not flub. There were-without exaggeration- no mistakes I can think of.

- My final comment for the time being is that this Beacon run was awesome BUT I hope they don't play there again for a very long time. I much prefer the concept of them making their way around NYC between now and 2025 and performing at a) the new Loew's in Brooklyn b) Irving Plaza and/or Music Hall of Williamsburg (due to its size which would just be insane) c) radio city again and d) Port Chester again. Yes, eventually hopefully many more Beacon runs are in store but variety is the spice of life.

- I think that Night 1 was significantly better than the other 2 nights I attended with Saturday coming in 2nd and Wednesday in 3rd (despite the insaaaaaaane PWW). I think this was partly do to the energy spilling out of this legendary run starting, the wonderfully gradual pickup of acoustic to mellow to hard eventually and 20 non-Circuital non-Waterfall songs. I'm not gonna rehash previous discussions about this and I'd rather not be hated but after having seen every Waterfall song performed live multiple times over the 7 shows I went to on this tour it was nice to have a little break.

-Every member of the band seemed extremely comfortable in the setting of the Beacon Theatre and almost needless to say at this point its obvious that they love playing NYC. This could be because of the higher concentration of knowledgeable fans or just because its NYC but whereas Philadelphia felt almost perfunctory the week before and a very STANDARD show every one of these shows were very special.

-I know their are EE haters out there but the live shows alone WILL eventually transform everyone's opinion on that great album. Whether it was a) the desire on the part of many to get a Librarian, b) my profound disappointment in not having a Sec Walking and Thank You Too and Two Halves (not upset they were not gonna play every song and the 89 songs were an incredible selection) or c) the INSANITY that was Aluminum Park live or d) the popularity of the two Touch Mes this album this album has become LEGENDARY. In pretty typical fashion for a single I'm Amazed has now become my least favorite song on the album (but still great live). In sum, if there's ever 7 nights at some venue again playing all studio albums (or 8 or 9 or 10 nights) I might feel most desirous of going to the Evil Urges night.