The TV Thread

Started by dragonboy, Sep 01, 2006, 06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_wil

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 24, 2017, 05:40 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 24, 2017, 03:13 PM
agreed. I just watched The Wire this year and I loved it.

I got The Sopranos on DVD for Christmas, going to start it soon.
Funny, I just finished The Wire last week and started The Sopranos.  Also catching up on the most recent seasons of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.  The Wire was great, though the last season was a letdown.

Also, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Americans!

Love The Americans! This season has been a little slow developing compared to the rest, but the show is really able to pull off the slow build unlike many other shows.

dookie shoot bandit

I dont know who is watching Twin Peaks... but it is weirder and as great as ever!!

At the end of every episode there is a musical performance at the bar. I would like to think that Jim/the band will make an appearance on this or on some level. Below is an article from 2010 that describes Jim's love for the show as a kid, and also in the last few years, his connection with David Lynch on a personal level. I would be greatly surprised if he is not part of this show in any way.

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/my_morning_jackets_jim_james_on_twin_peaks/

LBSUNFLWR

Anybody else finish The Leftovers yet?

parkervb

Quote from: d_wil on May 20, 2017, 04:36 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 24, 2017, 05:40 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 24, 2017, 03:13 PM
agreed. I just watched The Wire this year and I loved it.

I got The Sopranos on DVD for Christmas, going to start it soon.
Funny, I just finished The Wire last week and started The Sopranos.  Also catching up on the most recent seasons of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.  The Wire was great, though the last season was a letdown.

Also, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Americans!

Love The Americans! This season has been a little slow developing compared to the rest, but the show is really able to pull off the slow build unlike many other shows.

fairly disappointed with The Americans this season. It's like they started several major plot points only to cut them short.  Seemed especially odd considering they only have 1 season left.

Started House of Cards and it's ok so far. I don't really take the show seriously, it's actually become kinda campy to me b/c it is so over the top but it's still a fun show to watch. 
Don't you ever turn it off

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 06, 2017, 09:20 AM

Loved it!!!

Murph

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jun 06, 2017, 12:12 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 06, 2017, 09:20 AM

Loved it!!!

I've loved practically every episode of that show and think it's been the best thing on TV for 3 years.  That being said, I HATED the series finale.  Maybe I need to give it another shot.

LBSUNFLWR

I kind of had mixed feelings about the finale. I don't like Nora that much so the whole episode being about her wasn't my favorite. But then in the end I liked how they showed them in the future and her explanation of what happened to the departed and how things seemed to work out for Kevin. Plus the last shot with the birds returning and the two of them looking happy was a really nice final scene.

But I still don't know the whole point of the 2nd to last episode with 2 Kevins, etc and what that had to do with the outcome. Also, no mention of the end of the world shit. guess that never happened?

dookie shoot bandit

I had completely different feelings about the finale.
I believe Nora was lying about what happened. I think she stopped the process and just went into hiding. I believe that she just told herself that so she can cope and move on. She needed to believe that they were ok (wherever they are). That machine is bullshit and basically a suicide machine.
Damon had said that he wasn't gonna answer what happened to them and where they went and is was more about the people that were left here. So I wasn't going in like Lost, hoping for answers, I just wanted closure for these awesome characters.

As for Kevin in the 2nd to last episode. He has to kill that other half of him to allow himself to move on with his obsession with dying. Doing that made him "mortal", and allowed him to live his life and able to love Nora for who she is.

As for the end of the world... nothing happened. That is the scene with Kevin sr. on the roof kinda bummed. It's basically a look at society how sometimes sadistically we almost want something bad to happen, and when it doesn't... we are upset about it.

All of this is my opinion of course
Loved the show! Loved the finale!

LBSUNFLWR

I like this. Thank you.

Definitely one of the more interesting shows I've watched.

APR

I've never seen the Leftovers and may check it out. 

I must say that Better Call Saul is getting better and better.  And this season's Fargo is getting stronger as the weeks go by too. 

LBSUNFLWR

The Leftovers was a very unique show. Confusing and interesting and very well acted. I would definitely recommend checking it out. Plus only 3 seasons so it won't take a long time to get through it at all.

I may watch it all again!@

parkervb

caught this week's Better Call Saul and this may be the best season so far. I guess it helps that we seem to be getting more Saul and more Breaking Bad. I just cannot get over how well shot and directed both of these series have been. The music direction is also very good.

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 09, 2017, 09:48 AM
caught this week's Better Call Saul and this may be the best season so far. I guess it helps that we seem to be getting more Saul and more Breaking Bad. I just cannot get over how well shot and directed both of these series have been. The music direction is also very good.

Potential spoiler for those not caught up.....

That scene of Nacho switching the pills and tossing into Hector's coat was a highlight.  No dialogue and tense music.  So good.  I read an article where a show writer said he liked that Gus and Mike rarely spoke while Jim and Chuck have tons of long stretches of speaking.

parkervb

Quote from: APR on Jun 09, 2017, 10:22 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Jun 09, 2017, 09:48 AM

Potential spoiler for those not caught up.....

That scene of Nacho switching the pills and tossing into Hector's coat was a highlight.  No dialogue and tense music.  So good.  I read an article where a show writer said he liked that Gus and Mike rarely spoke while Jim and Chuck have tons of long stretches of speaking.

they've been doing several of those long, detailed scenes w/ no dialogue and music and I love it. Specifically the one where Mike is switching out the tracking device.

Jackets N Pones

Is anyone caught up on Fargo Season 3? Pretty slow up until episode 8, which...was...incredible. Highlight was Leeland from Twin Peaks playing "The Stranger" type role. Love this show! :thumbsup:
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

sillyboob

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on Jun 14, 2017, 10:03 PM
Is anyone caught up on Fargo Season 3? Pretty slow up until episode 8, which...was...incredible. Highlight was Leeland from Twin Peaks playing "The Stranger" type role. Love this show! :thumbsup:

The wife & I haven't started on Fargo Season 3 yet, but thanks for the reminder.  That'll be next on our list after getting through OITNB.

Seasons 1 & 2 of Fargo were really good television.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

LBSUNFLWR

The Defiant Ones. HBO. Watch it.

APR

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 12, 2017, 10:05 PM
The Defiant Ones. HBO. Watch it.

So funny....I just clicked this thread to post this exact thing.  It's good!!

LBSUNFLWR

I've only seen the first 2 so far but really liked both.

LBSUNFLWR

Just finished The Defiant Ones. Only four episodes. The second two were even better than the first two.
So well done. This is a must watch! Even though The Black Eyed Peas made a 15 second appearance.  :smiley: