Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

Amen to all... this is INSANE  :beer:

JACKETXMAS
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

robb

Quote from: tmz on May 16, 2018, 12:43 AM
A final update (hopefully) on using the download codes to upgrade from mp3... After talking to both nugs and cloud9, the nugs folks essentially told me that the instructions in the first cloud9 message were right.  And trying that did indeed allow me to easily add each show to the cart and then upgrade it for a few bucks each.  I don't know if the codes in the first message were the issue or what.  I think the updated instructions cloud9 sent out just confused the issue.

After downloading the HD FLAC files, I noticed that my earlier download of CD-quality FLAC was missing Compound Fracture.  I don't know if that happened to anyone else or not.  That could just be the nugs windows app screwing up.

Now it's back to the 9 hour listening party on repeat...

I enjoyed hearing Jim change up the lyrics in Librarian, switching he for she in "when god gave us mirrors, she had no idea."  I don't think I noticed that on the the Capitol Theater show from 2012, but that's the only other live version of Librarian I have where he does that. :)

Having all the albums in order is a little surreal.  So much good stuff to soak in...

my copy was missing wordless the first time i tried to download anything. i'm pretty that's all that was missing anyway.

i dove into TTF/AD last night and made sure it was LOUD. can't believe i forgot how jim kept calling carl "carlos" that night.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

timescaper

Quote from: tmz on May 16, 2018, 12:43 AM
A final update (hopefully) on using the download codes to upgrade from mp3... After talking to both nugs and cloud9, the nugs folks essentially told me that the instructions in the first cloud9 message were right.  And trying that did indeed allow me to easily add each show to the cart and then upgrade it for a few bucks each.  I don't know if the codes in the first message were the issue or what.  I think the updated instructions cloud9 sent out just confused the issue.

that didn't work for me - never had a problem in previous years guess I'll need to wait for their reply.

Mr. White

I've only listened to Night 2 so far. I've noticed the recording/playback level is quite a bit lower than other Livedownloads MMJ shows. In my car, I usually play them (loudly) at around volume level 25. I need to crank it up to 35 or more to come close to the same loudness level. No big deal. I just sometimes make compilation CDs of various songs I love to travel with, and this creates an uneven volume issue for me. No big deal though.

So glad to have more MMJ Live Stuff to enjoy!!!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rkwedge

I did notice the same thing Mr. White, a little annoying but the edit of these is real good so that definitely compensates for it for me. I've only listened to night 1 and man it brought me right back to the Dominican  Those three songs, Death is the Easy Way, Hopefully, and Bermuda Highway are proof Jim's voice is that of an angel. :thumbsup:  robb, I said the exact same thing as you, I forgot Jim kept call Carl "Carlos" HaHa beautiful.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

gardenparty

Night 1 was such a treat to listen to :headphones:

Don't think i want to spring for the other 2 nights just yet but maybe i'll buy one a week

or possibly somebody has a free code or wants to do a swap?

Clarkwork

Such a treat to get every album live.   Also Magic Bullet is just fantastic live.  These will be the most played downloads for sure.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

tmz

Quote from: Mr. White on May 16, 2018, 08:57 AM
I've only listened to Night 2 so far. I've noticed the recording/playback level is quite a bit lower than other Livedownloads MMJ shows. In my car, I usually play them (loudly) at around volume level 25. I need to crank it up to 35 or more to come close to the same loudness level. No big deal. I just sometimes make compilation CDs of various songs I love to travel with, and this creates an uneven volume issue for me. No big deal though.

One of the first things I do is add replaygain tags to the flac files.  That way my players can use the album gain to adjust the overall playback to a consistent level.  I end up listening to a lot of tracks on random and it's horrible to have to reach for the volume all the time.

There's a few things I've laughed out loud while listening.  The various "take it away Carlos" of course.  And in "I Think I'm Going To Hell" about 4:45 Jim sings "...to take me to hell" and then interjects "whatever that is."

TOOGANS

This was intentional. These shows were mastered at online streaming levels and not because of any codec restrictions imposed by Nugs but merely because I feel that digital music sounds better when set at more conservative levels.  This also leaves more space for dynamic range within the songs. They were mastered between -13 to - 15 LUFS which is volume required for Itunes, Spotify and Youtube. 

parkervb

excellent input, thanks toogans.
Don't you ever turn it off

MOWJO8185

The shows sound great.

Only through night 1 so far. I love what was happening at the end of It's About Twilight!

rkwedge

Quote from: TOOGANS on May 16, 2018, 11:36 AM

This was intentional. These shows were mastered at online streaming levels and not because of any codec restrictions imposed by Nugs but merely because I feel that digital music sounds better when set at more conservative levels.  This also leaves more space for dynamic range within the songs. They were mastered between -13 to - 15 LUFS which is volume required for Itunes, Spotify and Youtube. 
Well I think these shows sound really amazing and you did a masterful job on them TOOGANS. These will be MMJ go to's for all of us I'm sure.  :thumbsup: :beer:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

searchinbig

These are going to be so awesome to have but it makes me sad to think T5 may never be released now. Oh well, enjoy the moment!
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Lonndown27

How can i even say anything about these shows without just starting with

FUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSS

the band will see now how supportive the fans are. Rkwedge the third night's code wasn't in the system once again some nugs.net snafoo but i wanna buy the third night. I need to give the band something for this. This is absolutely insane  hearing this. There's so much it's hard to wrap my brain around. Wowza......

I Think Im Going To Hell is so badass. Actually guys Jimbo has done the "whatever that is" and "if it exists " etc stuff like that at OBH2 when they played Hell. I've heard it on the Cap 2012 shows too??? Can't double check right now but it's been done, almost as if Jim is Bill Hicks hahah

Quote from: searchinbig on May 16, 2018, 12:35 PM
These are going to be so awesome to have but it makes me sad to think T5 may never be released now. Oh well, enjoy the moment!

I know ....what WILL become of T5??? What would be trippy is if those shows were filmed. I remember reading Jim and Patrick saying the T5 recordings were flawed and didn't turn out the way they'd hoped  (which baffles me judging from shitty YouTube video evidence... which means in real quality, itd blow our face apart) and so maybe this whole thing was the second attempt? Back then (2010) the band had to fill time with all those juicy B sides, EP tracks and covers, whereas in the DR the band needed to fit it ALL in . Quite remarkable
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Cameron

I started on Waterfall because things had gotten kinda hazy by that point. Sounds fucking amazing. I'm saving the first 2 nights for my 6 hour drive this weekend.

sillyboob

Quote from: Cameron on May 16, 2018, 05:21 PM
I started on Waterfall because things had gotten kinda hazy by that point. Sounds fucking amazing. I'm saving the first 2 nights for my 6 hour drive this weekend.

That'll be quite the drive.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

I've purposely listened to minimal MMJ the last two months in prep for a marathon session or two.  I'm on night 1, and it sounds awesome.  Jim's voice is super strong.  I've never heard Old Sept Blues so beautiful.   

robb

Quote from: APR on May 16, 2018, 05:41 PM
I've purposely listened to minimal MMJ the last two months in prep for a marathon session or two.  I'm on night 1, and it sounds awesome.  Jim's voice is super strong.  I've never heard Old Sept Blues so beautiful.   

i'm SO glad i opted to not listen to any of the audience tapes/recordings of this run. ryan did a helluva job, and agreed--the guys sound great across the board.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

tmz

Has anyone else noticed that Cobra seems to cut off prematurely?  A few seconds after the outro music begins, it goes silent for the last 30-40 seconds of the track.  I've checked my downloads again to be sure it wasn't something fixed already.  Both the flac and flac-hd have this.  It seems like that's not the intended fade out.

(I hope that doesn't come out badly, because these recordings are really fantastic and it's only a few seconds of fade out music we're talking about here.  It just stood out after a second, more careful listen.)

Lonndown27

Quote from: tmz on May 16, 2018, 08:38 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Cobra seems to cut off prematurely?  A few seconds after the outro music begins, it goes silent for the last 30-40 seconds of the track.  I've checked my downloads again to be sure it wasn't something fixed already.  Both the flac and flac-hd have this.  It seems like that's not the intended fade out.

(I hope that doesn't come out badly, because these recordings are really fantastic and it's only a few seconds of fade out music we're talking about here.  It just stood out after a second, more careful listen.)

of course but oh well it matters not at all, focus on the 21 minutes before it hahaha facerippedoff!