Jim´s new Stratocaster

Started by jimsflyingv, May 25, 2018, 04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsflyingv

Hi, I  noticed on Instragram and on Colbert that Jim is using a Stratocaster now. Does anybody have better pics of the guitar. Thanks in advance !!!

davymac

I just saw that.  I don't think I've ever seen Jim play a Fender? 

robb

Quote from: davymac on May 25, 2018, 06:40 AM

he used to play a strat more frequently pre-2006 or so (i think anytime on okonokos is a strat song). most recently it's been sprinkled in here and there like on like a rolling stone at obh3.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

jimsflyingv

Quote from: robb on May 25, 2018, 08:25 AM
Quote from: davymac on May 25, 2018, 06:40 AM

he used to play a strat more frequently pre-2006 or so (i think anytime on okonokos is a strat song). most recently it's been sprinkled in here and there like on like a rolling stone at obh3.

The one he played on Colbert was decorated with a lot of dots (or even beads) would be nice to know if this is new Strat or if he just did some work on his old one......

d_wil

Talked to a guy who works at the Gibson factory in Memphis this weekend and he said they just finished up a new custom order for Jim, but couldn't tell me more than that.

jimsflyingv

Interesting, let´s see what it will be :-)

Lonndown27

Jim historically has used a Strat on:
Anytime as someone said,
Smokin from Shootin used to be Strat only
How Do You Know he played on a Strat in the 2004-2008 era as well.

As far as more, I'll try to see what i can find.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

dogwoody

Here he is with a 12 string electric (I think Ovation?)

jimsflyingv

Saw his new Strat now a couple of times in videos now still have to get used to it.....not exactly my taste from the way it looks but if the music that is played on it is good who cares :-)

Lonndown27

New info:
That strat he's been using IS HIS FIRST EVER GUITAR.... just learned that from the New Yorker interview. Fucking awesome
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Cameron

Lonndown27

i'm a Gibson guy, I've always been that and always will be: my first guitar was an Epiphone SG, followed 7 months later by working all summer at Lagoon as a 14 year old and getting my cherished Epiphone Les Paul in brilliant looking honeyburst, then followed by an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, which has one of the hottest pickups I've ever heard. I don't know what it was that day but the wax and the electronics sit perfectly and give this searing, beefy intense tone that is ONLY attained by that guitar. Absolutely love that Les Paul Junior. I was given a Squier Stratocaster for free from a friend and then i shaved the finish to send it from a black Strat to a charcoal gray finish it's so sick. I love the sound of that Stratocaster. Love both Fenders and Gibsons, but Gibson is my sound, however, if you're a good enough guitarist, sometimes people can't tell if you're using single coil or humbuckers, like say Billy Gibbons. Sometimes you can guess pretty accurately, but as I've found, questioning him myself, after a USANA Amphitheatre show in 2004, on overdubs for the Tres Hombres album, the fingers and tone knobs can achieve weird tones from other guitars, in a way.

As for Jim using the Strat? Who cares, in fact, really this has a practical value to it: it's easier on his back then lumping around huge Gibsons for every song. This is easier on his back and body because it's a very very very lighter guitar. I think that's a huge part of it, as well as the fact that THIS ISN'T MMJ...he needed a new tone, a newer sound, even though you can never take the Jim from his guitar sound...it's always gonna sound like Jim no matter What he plays...

sorry for the rant.
lawd i was born a ramblin man
lawwwd i'm discouraged
(no points for first one, maximum points for naming second band reference)