Jim James pop up NY Show tomorrow night Rough Trade NYC

Started by Jbpats, May 21, 2018, 09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RastaRunner5

Unreal show. Pretty remarkable reflecting how different the last three Jim shows I've attended have been: the space-soul-psychedelia of T5 in Nov 2016, solo acoustic at Newport Folk 2017, and now the blistering rocker of Rough Trade' 18. Last night reminded me of Neil Young's Weld album. In particular, Dave Givens' drumming, uber use of distortion. and Jim's howling phrasing to the lyrics. In a weird way some of the new songs felt like the baby of MMJ's covers of Misfits' "Attitude" and Dion's "Wanderer". Does that make sense to anyone there?

Overall, a special show. Many of the album featured tense dual guitar breakdowns at the end, shifting between melodic and clashing. Kevin Ratterman and Jim were face to face head banging at the end of a few songs, and the crowd responded enthusiastically- without cell phones taboot! I wonder if the album will feature those instrumentals or if that was more for the live setting?

Jim mentioned it had bene awhile since he had made those songs. He said he was re-learning them but sounded excellent. He played a lot of Stratocaster. Two female background singers could have maybe been utilized a bit more.

The encore slot was a nice surprise and seeing the songs on paper do not do it justice. The arrangements were all updated and complimented the new album. Jim was having a blast messing with the timing of A New Life and the roof was about to come down after State of the Art. Those thin red and green lights that give the 3-D effect were in full force while the 'power was going out!"

Cannot wait to have a few cheap domestic beers and spin the record on vinyl and catch the next show. Lyrically the songs also sounded super interesting, but it was hard to make out all the words because I was rocking out too damn hard.

Murph

Quote from: RastaRunner5 on May 23, 2018, 01:29 PM
Unreal show. Pretty remarkable reflecting how different the last three Jim shows I've attended have been: the space-soul-psychedelia of T5 in Nov 2016, solo acoustic at Newport Folk 2017, and now the blistering rocker of Rough Trade' 18. Last night reminded me of Neil Young's Weld album. In particular, Dave Givens' drumming, uber use of distortion. and Jim's howling phrasing to the lyrics. In a weird way some of the new songs felt like the baby of MMJ's covers of Misfits' "Attitude" and Dion's "Wanderer". Does that make sense to anyone there?

Overall, a special show. Many of the album featured tense dual guitar breakdowns at the end, shifting between melodic and clashing. Kevin Ratterman and Jim were face to face head banging at the end of a few songs, and the crowd responded enthusiastically- without cell phones taboot! I wonder if the album will feature those instrumentals or if that was more for the live setting?

Jim mentioned it had bene awhile since he had made those songs. He said he was re-learning them but sounded excellent. He played a lot of Stratocaster. Two female background singers could have maybe been utilized a bit more.

The encore slot was a nice surprise and seeing the songs on paper do not do it justice. The arrangements were all updated and complimented the new album. Jim was having a blast messing with the timing of A New Life and the roof was about to come down after State of the Art. Those thin red and green lights that give the 3-D effect were in full force while the 'power was going out!"

Cannot wait to have a few cheap domestic beers and spin the record on vinyl and catch the next show. Lyrically the songs also sounded super interesting, but it was hard to make out all the words because I was rocking out too damn hard.

I've heard a lot of these same reports.  Glad you made it in there man.  Did they release more tickets at the venue or did you get lucky buying one from someone outside?

RastaRunner5

Yes! There were a few floaters that ended popping up right before showtime.

robb

a solo jim show sounding like weld? sign me the fuck up right now.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

crooney

great review, rasta!

so many killer songs from jim.  the new uniform distortion rockers, the eternally even material, the tribute to 2 covers sprinkled in.....his solo shows will be bananas when all these songs start swirling together in the setlists.

oistheone

So Seth is on tour with Ray Lamontagne until mid-July. So when are we thinking this tour'll happen? August-Sept? Or deeper into the fall?

APR

Quote from: oistheone on May 24, 2018, 10:47 AM
So Seth is on tour with Ray Lamontagne until mid-July. So when are we thinking this tour'll happen? August-Sept? Or deeper into the fall?

That's exactly what I've been wondering.  I'm ready to plan for some fall shows. 

Like crooney said, a lot of stuff to swirl in and that could possibly include some Jacket songs too.  I could see a rocking set followed by a few solo acoustic numbers to start the encore and then a rocking ending.  Maybe changing the set list up here and there a bit more than past solo tours.

millerjustin

I've been told they have various bookings and holds in Sept-Nov
What's in here won't disappear

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: millerjustin on May 25, 2018, 11:08 AM

Nice!

I'm still crossing my fingers he gets added to the Asbury Park festival, that Carl will already be at!

APR

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on May 25, 2018, 12:19 PM

Nice!

I’m still crossing my fingers he gets added to the Asbury Park festival, that Carl will already be at!

That would be cool.  I think it's pretty realistic that Carl adds some solo shows around that NJ fest in the mid-Atlantic..... he has yet to hit DC or Baltimore.

Thanks for the intel millerj!  I'll expect to see you at least once in that time frame. 

Woody

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on May 25, 2018, 12:19 PM

Nice!

I'm still crossing my fingers he gets added to the Asbury Park festival, that Carl will already be at!

I'm thinking/hoping the same thing. Come to AP, Jim!

robb

RastaRunner5

APR

That was awesome!!  As excited I am to see JJ solo acoustic, I would love to see a tour supporting this album...... too bad I can't fly to LA for the other opportunity to see this lineup.

robb

Quote from: APR on Jun 21, 2018, 08:19 PM
That was awesome!!  As excited I am to see JJ solo acoustic, I would love to see a tour supporting this album...... too bad I can't fly to LA for the other opportunity to see this lineup.

i've heard he's apparently going to tour the album in 2019, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but i'm not going to argue because i can't wait to hear this album in a live setting.

Jbpats

Quote from: robb on Jun 22, 2018, 09:12 AM

i've heard he's apparently going to tour the album in 2019, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but i'm not going to argue because i can't wait to hear this album in a live setting.

should that make us alarmed for an even bigger MMJ tour delay?

Murph

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 22, 2018, 09:14 AM
Quote from: robb on Jun 22, 2018, 09:12 AM

should that make us alarmed for an even bigger MMJ tour delay?

I'm thinking Yes.  From all these interviews and everything we're reading, it really doesnt sound like MMJ is getting together any time soon.  They all have their side projects going on at the same time and it sounds/feels like they're content focusing on those and taking a break from MMJ.  Just my guess.

Cameron

JDUB