Main Menu

OBH4!

Started by millerjustin, Jul 18, 2017, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brocklanders

I could hear a very slight weakness and crackling in Jim's voice only on certain lines of certain songs.  Jim has set the bar so high. What I like about Jim's voice and the band is that they are so raw yet polished.  The crackling, etc is part of the raw.  To sing for almost 9 hours like that over 4 days while playing instruments is pretty special in my book.

Nashville to Kentucky on OBH4---"take me out of this dead end nightmare, take me out of this hell i'm in"  Oozes with emotion and force.  I swear I rewound and listened to that part at least 10 times.  Would like to hear a good country music act cover that song just to give it some more exposure that it deserves.  Many of the deep cuts on the first 3 albums have become my favorite now.

Went golfing the other night and had OBH4 playing on the bluetooth.  It doesn't get much better than riding down the fairway with a little buzz, evening sun peaking thru the trees, course to yourself and Golden playing in the background.  The simplest of pleasures, the world at its best.

subinai

i love just about everything about the OBH4 recordings except "Big Decisions". Woof.

MMJTX

Quote from: brocklanders on Jun 07, 2018, 01:09 PM

Nashville to Kentucky on OBH4---"take me out of this dead end nightmare, take me out of this hell i'm in"  Oozes with emotion and force.  I swear I rewound and listened to that part at least 10 times.  Would like to hear a good country music act cover that song just to give it some more exposure that it deserves.  Many of the deep cuts on the first 3 albums have become my favorite now.

Gives me goosebumps every time i hear that song, even just thinking about it. Teared up at OBH4 when i got to hear it for the first time live
Anytime

sillyboob

Quote from: subinai on Jun 07, 2018, 02:12 PM
i love just about everything about the OBH4 recordings except "Big Decisions". Woof.

More hating on the Big D. 

SMH
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

subinai

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 07, 2018, 04:55 PM

SMH

I liked it when they played it at Gov Ball back in 2015 but this recording isn't doing it for me. :shrug:

longshanks

I caught Big Decisions on public radio randomly one day in 2015 and was like, hmmm, I like this singer and the sound of this band. I should check them out.

Well, I did. Five shows later, I'm hooked for life, own the discography, the hoodie, 2 t-shirts, stocking cap ... even the 8-bit socks lol

sillyboob

Quote from: subinai on Jun 07, 2018, 05:46 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 07, 2018, 04:55 PM

SMH

I liked it when they played it at Gov Ball back in 2015 but this recording isn't doing it for me. :shrug:

Strange. Have you compared it to the OBH2 recording to see if there's something about it live at OBH4 that didn't jive with you?  Just curious. 
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jun 05, 2018, 08:20 AM
I love ya Lonn but I can't take Jacket over the Dead in their top form.  I love MMJ as much as anyone, but my love for the Dead trumps all...   :beer:

As for your other comparisons, I can't really argue against any others.

Hahha no prob The Dead are so sicknasty especially Cosmic Charlie Beacon theater 1976, The Other One from Des Moines 1978 and the best China Cat / Rider? Winterland 1974 as seen on the GDMovie bonus disc

I LOVE ALL OF YOU CRAZY JACKET FANS!!!!!!

Seriously, as you said Rob they took everything we love about classic rock and roll and then shot it into the veins of the the great spacegawd and then fed that thru a reverb tank, and later, through an octave pedal
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

Quote from: longshanks on Jun 07, 2018, 06:15 PM
I caught Big Decisions on public radio randomly one day in 2015 and was like, hmmm, I like this singer and the sound of this band. I should check them out.

Well, I did. Five shows later, I'm hooked for life, own the discography, the hoodie, 2 t-shirts, stocking cap ... even the 8-bit socks lol

NOW THIS IS A JACKET FAN!!! WELCOME TO THE BREAKFAST SHOW MY GOOD SIR
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

heynicejacket

Howdy,

Long time listener, first time caller here. 

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the first OBH in Playa and this most recent one in the Dominican. This most recent time with our trooper of a little man who is a fellow MMJ fan in training. Both times were amazing.

The recordings for this most recent OBH, though. WOW. I haven't stopped listening since they dropped in my email. Highlights for me were "They Ran" and "I Will Sing You Songs". Jim's voice, the guitar riffs....just pure bliss.

Anyway's, I'm drinking a beer as we speak and hoping there's an OBH 5 in the cards for 2019.

Salud! :beer:

rkwedge

Quote from: heynicejacket on Jun 12, 2018, 10:41 PM
Howdy,

Long time listener, first time caller here. 

My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the first OBH in Playa and this most recent one in the Dominican. This most recent time with our trooper of a little man who is a fellow MMJ fan in training. Both times were amazing.

The recordings for this most recent OBH, though. WOW. I haven't stopped listening since they dropped in my email. Highlights for me were "They Ran" and "I Will Sing You Songs". Jim's voice, the guitar riffs....just pure bliss.

Anyway's, I'm drinking a beer as we speak and hoping there's an OBH 5 in the cards for 2019.

Salud! :beer:
Welcome aboard caller.  :beer: Good to hear you're raising the little fellow the right way!
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

crooney

man, that outro on 'movin away', just perfect.  bo and carl, just fantastic fellas.

dr_trousers

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 04, 2018, 02:55 PM
Thank fuck we're fans of the most insanely perfect band of all time my god i can't wait to hear what some of you would say if they actually ever had a bad night for once...

In comparison to Phish ? Jacket destroy Phish. Bar none.
Grateful Dead even at their mid 70s best? Without question the Jacket are better.

Zeppelin? Jacket again.

The who? Didnt mix up their setlists hardly enough. Jacket.

The Band? Too tame at times and never got crazy. Jacket

Allman Bros ? After Duane it aint the same. Jacket

Rolling stones? Outside of the studio they only have a few great shows live, try Micks voice out for comparison. Jacket

What Jim does for us fans CANNOT be matched in the pantheon of rock and roll. 

Try singing their entire discography and then tell me what's happenin.

Not taking it personal.
Facts is facts hahah

Also, sorry but i enjoy the Gram Parsons country crack in his voice every now and then. Outside of the appropriately placed ones, i dont think he's cracking or losing his intensity, It's totally about preservation.

I say this as someone who has been to all four OBHs and loves the band, but you clearly never saw Phish 1.0. Those shows were magical night after night. If you are talking about 3.0, sure. But Phish in the 90s was incredible.

slappymoe

Quote from: dr_trousers on Jun 14, 2018, 01:22 PM
I say this as someone who has been to all four OBHs and loves the band, but you clearly never saw Phish 1.0. Those shows were magical night after night. If you are talking about 3.0, sure. But Phish in the 90s was incredible.
and obviously never saw The Who in their late 60's-early 70's prime.  but then again, few of us did.

johnnYYac

A near flawless Dancefloors on night 2...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Lonndown27

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 15, 2018, 10:17 AM
Quote from: dr_trousers on Jun 14, 2018, 01:22 PM
and obviously never saw The Who in their late 60's-early 70's prime.  but then again, few of us did.

Trust me when i talk about bands three times my age....ive heard almost every bootleg.  Seen all the footage. I love all of these bands. By the time i was 16, I'd seen the Stones AND The Who actually ...

And, None of them come close to the musical nirvana and perfection (without being "perfect" or fake or contrived or stale) of My Morning Jacket live.

The Who from 1967 to 1976 are one of the best live bands ever. The sounds they made with only three instruments STILL boggles the mind ...

Phish though? It's a case of if you like their music or not. Just like the Dead. Chances are if you love their music, you'll think they're the greatest live bands ever. But if you hate their music then they're shitty.

When it comes to MMJ, all i hear, even from their biggest detractors, is THAT'S the best live band on earth.

dexter

Btw when and what was soundcheck? Which day?

rkwedge

Quote from: dexter on Jun 17, 2018, 06:26 PM
Sound check was the afternoon of 3/1/2018 the day before it began. I really don't remember what songs they sound checked other then Into The Woods. It was a real fun chill sound check though, they wouldn't let us onto the actual courtyard so we were pretty far back. I also remember Tom was wearing shorts.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

robb

Quote from: rkwedge on Jun 17, 2018, 10:56 PM
Quote from: dexter on Jun 17, 2018, 06:26 PM
Sound check was the afternoon of 3/1/2018 the day before it began. I really don't remember what songs they sound checked other then Into The Woods. It was a real fun chill sound check though, they wouldn't let us onto the actual courtyard so we were pretty far back. I also remember Tom was wearing shorts.

off the top of my head, we got into the woods, heartbreakin', something from evil urges (thank you too?), and one other tune.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

MMJTX

Ya i'm pretty sure i read that Thank You Too! was played at soundcheck
Anytime