Main Menu

Phish

Started by capt. scotty, Dec 24, 2010, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

fantastic 4 nights of phish in vegas. Will take me a full week to recover.

Halloween set was left with mixed feelings. Some didn't care for it, some thought it was pure genius. I was somewhere in the middle, but after having re-listened to it on my flight home yesterday, I think it was truly amazing. Nobody else could really have pulled that off like that. My wife kept saying "I think they're just making fun of us". It was fairly early into the set where most figured out it was all a hoax, this was not some obscure Swedish band's album, it was all original phish made to mimic 80s style swedish prog rock. And the stage setup and band outfits were great too.

Overall Night 3 was my favorite of the 4 nights. These guys are just on fire, full of energy and truly loving it right now. Very happy for them, and to be able to be witness to where they are at right now.   

parkervb

definitely seems like they are having as much fun as they've ever had. I've listed to iRokk a couple of times, I think a good chunk of the songs are going to fit in great for years to come. I really like Death Don't Hurt Very Long, We are Come To Outlive Our Brains and a few others.

Listening to Night 4 right now and this 2nd set is going to get a lot of play for me.

SET 2: Carini > 46 Days > Scents and Subtle Sounds > Crosseyed and Painless > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Possum > Split Open and Melt
ENCORE: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Character Zero
Don't you ever turn it off

jttouch2

Lots of rumors of Phish returning to Bonnaroo next summer, would be huge to see Roo get Phish and MMJ together on the bill.

Lynchie

Psyched for the 2 MSG shows I'll be going to. 12/29, 12/30

Phish management has been doing a great job of making sure taper tickets are getting in the hands of people taping.

walterfredo

6/11 Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
6/12 Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
6/14 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Manchester, TN   
6/16 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Manchester, TN           
6/18 Budweiser Stage, Toronto, ON
6/19 Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
6/21 PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC           
6/22 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD   
6/23 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD           
6/25 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME
6/26 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME
6/28 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
6/29 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
6/30 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
7/02 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/03 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/05 Fenway Park, Boston, MA   
7/06 Fenway Park, Boston, MA   
7/09 Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT   
7/10 Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT       
7/12 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
7/13 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
7/14 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
8/30 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
8/31 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
9/01 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

parkervb

Quote from: Lynchie on Nov 06, 2018, 08:40 PM

Phish management has been doing a great job of making sure taper tickets are getting in the hands of people taping.

best shows of the run imo

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 09, 2019, 03:45 PM
6/11 Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
6/12 Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis, MO
6/14 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Manchester, TN   
6/16 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Manchester, TN           
6/18 Budweiser Stage, Toronto, ON
6/19 Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
6/21 PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC           
6/22 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD   
6/23 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD           
6/25 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME
6/26 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME
6/28 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
6/29 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
6/30 BB&T Pavilion, Camden, NJ   
7/02 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/03 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/05 Fenway Park, Boston, MA   
7/06 Fenway Park, Boston, MA   
7/09 Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT   
7/10 Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT       
7/12 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
7/13 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
7/14 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
8/30 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
8/31 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
9/01 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Man, that's not an easy road trip for my Mid Atlantic/ Northeast Phish fans friends.

I know they'll be at Roo too but it would've been great if it went MPP>Camden>SPAC> Maine instead of going from MPP up to Maine and then down to Jersey and back north again for SPAC.

I'm sure they'll still be going but I know I'll be hearing some complaints about the logistics.  :wink:

"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

was thinking the same thing, but my (early-mid 20s) days of driving the entire summer tour are long behind me, so this really doesn't matter to me. But I was looking at those dates and thinking, one day off between merriweather and bangor? and one day off again between bangor and camden? That flow makes zero sense. The worst is one day off between the CT and WI shows, that's a 15.5 hour drive!

I will probably hit up STL and Dicks. First and last shows of the tour.

walterfredo

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 09, 2019, 04:36 PM
Quote from: Lynchie on Nov 06, 2018, 08:40 PM

best shows of the run imo

agree!

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 09, 2019, 05:14 PM
was thinking the same thing, but my (early-mid 20s) days of driving the entire summer tour are long behind me, so this really doesn't matter to me. But I was looking at those dates and thinking, one day off between merriweather and bangor? and one day off again between bangor and camden? That flow makes zero sense. The worst is one day off between the CT and WI shows, that's a 15.5 hour drive!

I will probably hit up STL and Dicks. First and last shows of the tour.

Too funny Walter. Those multiple show summer touring days are well behind me too. Back then, I would've been bummed at how this route is set up but wouldn't have let it stop me. Now it was the 1st thing I noticed and thought thank god those days are done for me lol.

I've already had some friends chiming in who somehow still do a lot of shows, and I think even they might skip either SPAC or Maine.

That trip from CT>WI in one day is rough but MPP>Maine is over ten hours and then down to Camden is almost another nine! Not fan friendly at all with one day off for travel.
"Where's Jim going?"

Crispy

Damn, Eric, you have gotten soft! I should get out there and make you drive that Caddy up and down the eastern seaboard again.  :wink: :grin:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 10, 2019, 09:58 AM
Damn, Eric, you have gotten soft! I should get out there and make you drive that Caddy up and down the eastern seaboard again.  :wink: :grin:

Haha,you may be right about that! I prefer to think it's wiser and more selective.  :wink:  :grin:

"Where's Jim going?"

millerjustin

we are def hitting SPAC (20 mins from my house), Fenway, Mohegan and Dicks (don't miss JRAD at RR that Thursday!!)

YEMSG was a rager this year!  slow Friday but Saturday was a top show for me (well over 100+, but I don't count)  Sunday and NYE were phenomenal too - loved the gag - was sitting right over Mike's shoulder in 110
What's in here won't disappear

trav

Ok, I know this is crazy talk to a lot of people and I fear being heckled and thrown to the wolves for admitting this. 🤣🤣🤣 But I have never listened to phish. I don't really have the time to go back and read 11 pages so I'll ask here. Where do I start? What album would people recommend or is this something you only capture live? I'd like to give them a shot since they have so many followers, but I don't know where to begin or if I'll even like them. I know people that LOVE Dave Mathews (I know, totally different music) but I can't really stand him.  Again, maybe I'm alone. Anyway, I'd like to expand my horizons so what do you all think?

jttouch2

Quote from: trav on Jan 15, 2019, 11:24 PM
Ok, I know this is crazy talk to a lot of people and I fear being heckled and thrown to the wolves for admitting this. 🤣🤣🤣 But I have never listened to phish. I don't really have the time to go back and read 11 pages so I'll ask here. Where do I start? What album would people recommend or is this something you only capture live? I'd like to give them a shot since they have so many followers, but I don't know where to begin or if I'll even like them. I know people that LOVE Dave Mathews (I know, totally different music) but I can't really stand him.  Again, maybe I'm alone. Anyway, I'd like to expand my horizons so what do you all think?

From what I've seen, general consensus on the best studio album is that it is Rift or The Story of the Ghost and a solid place to start with shows is NYE 1995. I'd start with the shows first honestly

parkervb

Hampton Comes Alive is right up there. If you're looking to jump into something more contemporary, the Bakers Dozen selections are good. Also, they just finished their NYE run and played some great music. Check out this show:

https://relisten.net/phish/2018/12/29 (the 46 Days->Cities is great and the 2nd set is muy muy bueno)

I'd echo what jjtouch said about starting with the shows. Do you subscribe to a streaming service? Lots of LivePhish shows are available on streaming services.

I listened to Phish & went to shows when I was in high school and then never really got into them until a few years ago, I blew off a lot of their music because of their campier songs and schtick, but I realized how integral that was to the band's ability to go to places that many other bands cannot. I fall into bands and go pretty deep and Phish is so perfect for that b/c they have different, distinct iterations of their sound, a long history and loads of available music.

walterfredo

agree with the above, but more than anything, just go see them live.

I think they have been on fire over the last year, agree with parker, listen to the recent NYE run at MSG, particularly 12/29 and 12/30. Or better yet, watch the webcast from the shows if you can access them.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 16, 2019, 09:26 AM

I listened to Phish & went to shows when I was in high school and then never really got into them until a few years ago...

I got into Phish while I was in college.  They became the go to jam band after Jerry's death and that's when I went to shows.  As I got older, I drifted away from going to their shows, but never really drifted away from their music.

And I too would recommend getting into their Live Music catalog over their studio albums.  'A Live One' is one of my favorites for an abbreviated live set...

oistheone

Cannot BELIEVE they are hitting Toronto. You bet your ass I'm gonna be there! Hope to pull some sweet floor tickets tomorrow. Only have seen them once before and I was a mile away and in an easily freaked state. Looking forward to my first real Phish show!

rkwedge

It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes