Do you think we see more festival adds?

Started by Jbpats, Apr 10, 2020, 09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbpats

Curious what other people think here.
Tons of festivals are being moved to Sept-Oct time frame. Lineups are clearly going to change, headliners are going to change. I have a feeling one of Tool or Lizzo backs out of Bonnaroo or some of the older bands drop out of lock'n
Do you think MMJ replaces anybody since they already had Ohana scheduled in September?

APR

I really have no idea what to think.  I don't think anyone does at this point.   I read that a Santa Clara official said the 49'ers will be lucky to have a home game by Thanksgiving.  Sports Illustrated has an article talking about the possibility of college football starting in the winter or maybe not happening at all.  Nothing is happening in Europe this summer (Pearl Jam postponed to 2021 and festivals are cancelling), and they're ahead of us in this crisis. The fall is along way off, and it's going to be a long road.

7thsun

I don't see anything happening the rest of the year at this rate.

I think the sooner we get used to the idea of things being postponed until 2021 the better. But that just means we'll see a ton of different shows and festivals that I do believe they'll be apart of.

Cameron

Same. 2021 before we have any type of mass gatherings.

ranyart

It's going to be very interesting to see when and how the grand reopening happens.  I would think MMJ have some pretty solid plans already worked out and that there's no real need to make additions or changes.  Everything on our concert calendar is postponed or canceled at this point.  We're pretty much over festivals and I can't imagine going to one especially in these conditions.  I'd much rather have a good long MMJ show with a fun opening band.

walterfredo

Mr. White

I know MMJ weren't scheduled to play at this year's Forecastle Festival, but I thought I'd update here that it was just announced on local Louisville news that it has been cancelled for this year.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

millerjustin

ugh - I'm assuming the planned mini-tour for the Fall is going to be shelved given the circumstances - onsale dates, marketing, regional venue restrictions, and album drop are all factors that will screw up the best laid plans.  And given that we'll (hopefully) be emerging from stay-at-home restrictions by the end of May and easing back into normalcy by June, I'm curious how a typical OBH announcement in June may or may not be handled. 
What's in here won't disappear

ranyart

The further we get into this mess the more I rethink many/all aspects of my life, but two things are clear as a bell already.  This has and will change moving forward how I buy concert tickets and make travel plans.  Ticketmaster is sitting on about $600 of prior ticket purchases that are supposed to be rescheduled but no dates have been announced, and they just refunded my purchase 30 days after a show was officially cancelled that was supposed to happen on April 4.  I have no idea when I will even be able to ask TM for a refund for the remaining tickets, and even if these shows get rescheduled and I keep them there's no telling for sure at this point if they will even happen then.

All of this puts me in no mood to buy any concert tickets in advance unless there is a rock solid no BS refund policy, and even then it will have to be a pretty darn special event to get me to do it.  And I'm not spending a penny with TM moving forward until they give me all of my money back or I see the shows I have already paid to see ASAP.

And don't get me started about airline tickets.  I have about $2500 in cancelled flights at this point and I have no idea when I will be able to use the "credits" or what they will even be worth when I can use them.

walterfredo

It's total bullshit and should not be legal. We have thousands of dollars out on tix, majority of which haven't been officially cancelled yet but I'm assuming that's just so they can avoid the refunds.

Can they really legally just hold the money by stating the shows will be rescheduled at some unknown date?

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Apr 21, 2020, 07:26 PMIt's total bullshit and should not be legal. We have thousands of dollars out on tix, majority of which haven't been officially cancelled yet but I'm assuming that's just so they can avoid the refunds.

Can they really legally just hold the money by stating the shows will be rescheduled at some unknown date?

I agree it's complete bullshit but there's not a doubt in my mind Ticketbastard has covered their bases legally in this, at least for as long as they have to.

They're already coming out with some damage control saying they don't have our money and once the tix  are sold through them, the cash goes to the venues. They're saying it's a long difficult process to get the money back now because venues and their ticket offices are closed and there's no easy way to process refunds.

Sounds like more bullshit to me as even if the venues did get the cash, what about the ticket surcharges they've pocketed and interest from that they're sitting on? While the surcharges aren't as much as the total ticket cash, it's still money of ours they're sitting on.

I hope we'll see more artists follow what Jon Bon Jovi has done. While I've never been a fan of his music or JBJ himself, he stepped up the other day and cancelled his 2020 tour and deserves some credit for that. In his statement he said he did it to enable all ticket holders to get their money back and use it for essentials in this difficult time. Specifically to buy food and anything else to help get them through this pandemic. To me it was a clear shot at the LN/TM policy change and kudos to him for cancelling the tour and not just leaving fans hanging.
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

The Dead and Co also cancelled their tour so that fans could get the refund.  Good for them!  I think the right thing to do would give everyone a choice if they'd like a refund or hold onto their seats.  What if you lucked out and scored amazing face value seats and you want to keep them no matter what because the chance of getting them again is tiny?  For example, I am glad Pearl Jam is "rescheduling" because I'd hate to go thru the stress of trying for tickets again and potentially going from a ticket to no tickets.

sillyboob

Quote from: APR on Apr 23, 2020, 10:11 AMThe Dead and Co also cancelled their tour so that fans could get the refund.  Good for them!  I think the right thing to do would give everyone a choice if they'd like a refund or hold onto their seats.  What if you lucked out and scored amazing face value seats and you want to keep them no matter what because the chance of getting them again is tiny?  For example, I am glad Pearl Jam is "rescheduling" because I'd hate to go thru the stress of trying for tickets again and potentially going from a ticket to no tickets.

Totally with you on the Pearl Jam tickets.  Got tickets to both LA shows and I still want to go.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ericm

Quote from: APR on Apr 23, 2020, 10:11 AMThe Dead and Co also cancelled their tour so that fans could get the refund.  Good for them!  I think the right thing to do would give everyone a choice if they'd like a refund or hold onto their seats.  What if you lucked out and scored amazing face value seats and you want to keep them no matter what because the chance of getting them again is tiny?  For example, I am glad Pearl Jam is "rescheduling" because I'd hate to go thru the stress of trying for tickets again and potentially going from a ticket to no tickets.

I'm with you there on giving people a choice being the right thing to do. Problem is, we can't count on LN/TM to ever do the right thing for fans.

Here's hoping that changes or somehow they're forced to change and give fans a choice.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

ranyart

Coachella just cancelled their previously rescheduled festival along with some others so I think it's pretty safe to say at this point MMJ won't be adding any festival dates in 2020. 

It's really a bizarre feeling for me to have zero concrete plans for live rock-n-roll music (or any music for that matter) for the foreseeable future.  I can live without restaurants, haircuts and all sorts of other stuff but music is hard especially with all of the pent up MMJ demand we have all built up...

APR

Quote from: ranyart on Jun 11, 2020, 02:07 PMCoachella just cancelled their previously rescheduled festival along with some others so I think it's pretty safe to say at this point MMJ won't be adding any festival dates in 2020. 

It's really a bizarre feeling for me to have zero concrete plans for live rock-n-roll music (or any music for that matter) for the foreseeable future.  I can live without restaurants, haircuts and all sorts of other stuff but music is hard especially with all of the pent up MMJ demand we have all built up...

I hear you loud and clear.  I don't care about restaurants or hair cuts at all compared to shows.   But live music will be the last to come back so we need patience (not easy) and then even more appreciation for it than ever once shows can happen.  Zero plans and a lot of pent up demand hopefully will be a good sign for bands' and promoters' bottom lines as much of the population is going to have a tough time paying for tickets, etc.