Main Menu

Khruangbin

Started by ChiefOKONO, Oct 02, 2019, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Has anyone heard these guys?  They are really great - mellow and moody music and very compelling to me.

I first got into them after seeing the NPR Tiny desk concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWLJeqLPfSU

"This trio from Houston, Texas is heavily inspired by 1960s and '70s funk and soul from, of all places, Thailand. That musical passion has taken them on a journey that, these days, incorporates music from Spain, Ethiopia and the Middle East. Khruangbin's largely instrumental music is grounded in Laura Lee's bass, with Mark Speer playing those melodic, richly reverbed guitar sounds and Donald "DJ" Johnson on drums and piano."

sillyboob

Khruangbin are great.  Their Tiny Desk Concert is a lot of fun.  They also have a KEXP session out there that is real good too.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

davymac

I love their sound, very unique & original.  Hoping I can catch them live soon.

APR

I agree... this band is great.  Parkervb turned me onto this band last year, and I have been listening to them a lot since.  I love their sound. They are so cool and chill with great guitar tone.  Check out all their albums.  There are some particularly great sounding shows on YouTube.  They are good live and often weave in a few random covers.

jttouch2

The new EP with Leon Bridges is crazy awesome as far as I'm concerned. They mesh their collective styles really well & cover a lot of different ground, despite it being just 4 songs.

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for the heads up I had no idea and I'm going to have to get this!!!

jttouch2

New single premiering today right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc50wHexbwg

Album "Mordechai" out June 26 on Dead Oceans

ChiefOKONO

Thanks for that info!!!

APR

The new single is so great. A lot more vocals than their old stuff.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the whole thing.  I'm guessing there will be more singing on it with some amazing guitar and drums as usual.

ChiefOKONO

I love it too... pretty funny video!  I am excited for the new album, and more singing would be great!

jttouch2

Got to hear the new record today. The vocals are a shift but it's handled real well, absolutely loved the first listen. Looking forward to the official drop + my vinyl copy coming in.

Hoptimus Prime

Got my vinyl today  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:
5/24/2003, and every damn time possible since!

Come Closer

Thought this was ok. Everything since the debut has felt kind of uninspired to me. Nice background music, but not much more engaging than that.

MMJTX

Saw them last night at The Factory in Dallas. Insane show, they killed it and their production is great, felt like i was in studio 54 or something, the whole crowd dancing and loving it.
Also was probably the most crowded show ive ever been to, the line to get in wrapped around an entire city block.
Anytime