Main Menu

Sturgill Simpson

Started by BigHerm, May 07, 2014, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Quote from: MMJTX on Nov 08, 2019, 02:38 PMAnybody get tickets for any of the Sturgill/Tyler tour?
Grabbed 4 tickets on the floor of American Airlines Center in Dallas during the first presale, looks like it's sold out now so glad i splurged for the floor

yup, floors for the Hampton show.
Don't you ever turn it off

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Nov 08, 2019, 04:26 PM
Quote from: MMJTX on Nov 08, 2019, 02:38 PMAnybody get tickets for any of the Sturgill/Tyler tour?
Grabbed 4 tickets on the floor of American Airlines Center in Dallas during the first presale, looks like it's sold out now so glad i splurged for the floor

yup, floors for the Hampton show.

Going to the Forum show in LA.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Cameron

Got good seats for Austin during presale.

MMJTX

Live stream on nugs.tv tonight, full band playing at the Ryman Auditorium, no audience.
Anytime

Cameron

"Get your Zyrtec ready cuz we cuttin' that grass!"

davymac

Quote from: Cameron on Jun 05, 2020, 11:50 AM"Get your Zyrtec ready cuz we cuttin' that grass!"

I'm pumped for this!!

walterfredo

"Did you know Amy McGrath used to fly fighter planes? Pretty cool!"

Fuck yeah, good on him!!

Cameron

so good.  can't wait for the albums.

klegel

I like where Sturgill's head is at on this one.

From the website:

THE BALLAD OF DOOD & JUANITA
THE NEW CONCEPT ALBUM BY STURGILL SIMPSON

SAYS STURGILL OF THE PROJECT:

"I JUST WANTED TO WRITE A STORY— NOT A COLLECTION OF SONGS THAT TELL A STORY, BUT AN ACTUAL STORY, FRONT TO BACK. [THIS ALBUM IS] A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE THROUGH ALL OF THE STYLES OF TRADITIONAL COUNTRY AND BLUEGRASS AND MOUNTAIN MUSIC THAT I LOVE, INCLUDING GOSPEL AND A CAPELLA. IT IS A SIMPLE TALE OF EITHER REDEMPTION OR REVENGE"

parkervb

Sturg getting one record closer to the end is exciting and sad.

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 26, 2021, 01:55 PMSturg getting one record closer to the end is exciting and sad.

Especially having missed out on the last tour because of COVID.

ChiefOKONO

I agree but is he definitely retiring after a certain number of albums are released??  I heard that but quite a while ago....

MMJTX

Ya i believe i read from an interview a WHILE back that his plan was 5 albums, i assume that means 5 standalone albums and that the Cutting Grass Albums wouldn't count since they're mostly covers of his songs done blue grass style

1. High Top Mountain
2. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
3. Sailors Guide to Earth
4. Sound & Fury
5? Ballad of Dood and Juanita?
Anytime

parkervb

Quote from: MMJTX on Jul 27, 2021, 02:51 PMYa i believe i read from an interview a WHILE back that his plan was 5 albums, i assume that means 5 standalone albums and that the Cutting Grass Albums wouldn't count since they're mostly covers of his songs done blue grass style

1. High Top Mountain
4. Sound & Fury

yes he said the 5 album thing on a Rogan appearance back in 2014 and that he has them all mapped out. But he may have changed his mind since then. Sound & Fury was the direct result of his burnout due to touring and may not have been in that original plan.

I may have to miss Sturg for a 3rd time due to previous commitment. Its the Outlaw tour stop here in Va Beach. It's like 5 miles from my house. Gotta make that call soon.

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 27, 2021, 03:36 PM
Quote from: MMJTX on Jul 27, 2021, 02:51 PMYa i believe i read from an interview a WHILE back that his plan was 5 albums, i assume that means 5 standalone albums and that the Cutting Grass Albums wouldn't count since they're mostly covers of his songs done blue grass style

1. High Top Mountain
4. Sound & Fury

yes he said the 5 album thing on a Rogan appearance back in 2014 and that he has them all mapped out. But he may have changed his mind since then. Sound & Fury was the direct result of his burnout due to touring and may not have been in that original plan.

I may have to miss Sturg for a 3rd time due to previous commitment. Its the Outlaw tour stop here in Va Beach. It's like 5 miles from my house. Gotta make that call soon.

I saw Sturgill on the Outlaw tour a few years ago at the Hollywood Bowl.  He was great.  He played his cover of The Promise, which blew my mind when I first heard it.  It was great to hear it live.

MMJTX

Ya Parkervb, i definitely agree that things may have changed since way back then. Fingers Crossed he continues making music and touring for YEARS to come!
Anytime

ChiefOKONO

Well, he does have a kid now so maybe he'll continue on to make money to support?

Cameron

dookie shoot bandit

I thought I heard/read that he was just fed up with Elekra. Which is why he threw together Sound & Fury, to get out of his contract obligations.
I dunno maybe I was dreaming...
Either way I hope he keeps it going with his new record company and I'm definitely excited for the Ballad of the Dood!!

parkervb