The Waterfall - The Complete Collection

Started by Nikkogino, Jul 10, 2020, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

So now that we have both Waterfall albums, along with the other deluxe tracks from WF1, we have a total of 22 songs. 
1) Are there any other released or unreleased tracks from the WF sessions (other than Hillside and I Can't Wait) that we are missing?
2) With what we have, how would you arrange these tracks if you were to make a combined album?

Jbpats

HA just posted something similar in the other thread, so for the sake of redundancy here is my post:

What would be your 'perfect' Waterfall album if you can just take 10 tracks from both albums. Only needed one listen to #2 to know my album:
1. Believe
2.In it's Infancy
3. Get the point
4. Spring
5. Tropics
6. Feel You
7. Magic Bullet
8. Run it
9. Wasted
10. Welcome Home

Still Thinkin/The first time/only memories remain were all in the running for the 10 spot.

I think I like more songs on #2, but I LOVE more songs on #1 (if that makes sense).

Nikkogino

Quote from: Jbpats on Jul 10, 2020, 08:55 AMHA just posted something similar in the other thread, so for the sake of redundancy here is my post:

What would be your 'perfect' Waterfall album if you can just take 10 tracks from both albums. Only needed one listen to #2 to know my album:
1. Believe
2.In it's Infancy
3. Get the point
4. Spring
5. Tropics
6. Feel You
7. Magic Bullet
8. Run it
9. Wasted
10. Welcome Home

Still Thinkin/The first time/only memories remain were all in the running for the 10 spot.

I think I like more songs on #2, but I LOVE more songs on #1 (if that makes sense).
What I'm trying to do here is assemble it as if it had become a triple album as originally planned.  I do love Welcome Home as the closer.

gardenparty

I'll just throw them all on mix and be super happy

dookie shoot bandit

Currently doing a playlist rearranging the songs to see how it sounds as a complete album.

I'm still convinced, like I mentioned when Uniform Distortion came out, that some of those songs were supposed to be part of The Waterfall series. Now possibly more when he mentions it was supposed to be a "triple album"

hoojack

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 10, 2020, 03:12 PMI'm still convinced, like I mentioned when Uniform Distortion came out, that some of those songs were supposed to be part of The Waterfall series. Now possibly more when he mentions it was supposed to be a "triple album"

I agree.  I think a lot of side 1 of WF2, especially Still Thinkin, blends in with the sound on UD. 

jttouch2

I think I'd leave the albums pretty much as is just as disc 1 and 2. If I were to combine them into 1 album though...

Spinning My Wheels
Compound Fracture
Infancy
Feel You
Run It

Spring
Magic Bullet
Wasted
Tropics
Welcome Home

wish there was a way to work in believe and the first time or only memories, they're real tough songs to leave out.

Lonndown27

COMPOUND FRACTURE
SPRING
TROPICS
MAGIC BULLET
IN ITS INFANCY
FEEL YOU
WASTED
THIN LINE
WELCOME HOME
RUN IT
ONLY MEMORIES REMAIN
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

HardNightConformist

What a fun exercise! I'll cap it at 10 tracks to match most people.

1. In It's Infancy (The Waterfall) - feel like it just makes sense to start a "Waterfall" album with the song with "Waterfall" in the it.

2. Feel You - Something about this makes me think it would pair nice after In It's Infancy

3. Spinning My Wheels - Time to slow things down even further, just to prepare us all for a big, epic second half

4. Tropics (Erase Traces) - After a couple of slower songs, inject some energy back in

5. Like A River - Song with nice balance of chill vibes with up-tempo vibes. Fit nicely dead-centre.

6. Still Thinking - Beach Boy vibes, feels like a nice "reawakening" and clarity after the second-half falsettos in Like A River.

7. Run It - Was tempted to pair this with "Like A River" because of the water references. Felt too on the nose. 7 felt right lol.

8. Spring (Among the Living) - Come to a bit of a crescendo in the album. Want to end with a trio of longer, more epic songs. Last song mentioned "trying to get back to water". Spring sounds like that arrival (among the living again - I didn't think I'd make it)

9. Only Memories Remain - Long and very slow, but very good. It winds down everything perfectly and gets you settled in to prepare for the last stop in the album...

10. Wasted - End the thing with a bang. I feel this song has a lot of "false endings" to where you think it's done, then it isn't. What a fun way it would be to close out the album - reaching a maximum level of energy and riding off into the sunset.

RobRoy286

I combined both albums, didn't leave any out, and added Hillside Song. Gotta say guys...this fucking rules. Highly recommend it. These albums flow so well together...kinda like water.

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain

Lucius

I've also been playing with the running order, I'm having fun with it.

Spinning > Believe is a magical opener. Just had to alter the crossfade so there isn't a big gap between the two.
Waterfall > Feel You is essential. The energy flow between the two is magical.

I also went down a Spring > Big D > Wasted > Tropics rabbit hole last night that was pretty epic. Following it up with Welcome Home was much needed!

1 Spinning My Wheels
2 Believe
3 Still Thinkin
4 Like A River
5 The Waterfall
6 Feel You
7 Run It
8 Spring
9 Magic Bullet
10 Big Decisions (Not usually a fan but in the context of this running order I actually found myself loving it, slots in seamlessly)
11 Wasted
12 Tropics
13 Welcome Home
14 The First Time
it wouldn't be a party without you

Nikkogino

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jul 11, 2020, 09:36 AMI combined both albums, didn't leave any out, and added Hillside Song. Gotta say guys...this fucking rules. Highly recommend it. These albums flow so well together...kinda like water.

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain
No "I Can't Wait"?

Erad

I went with my personal favorites from each album, limiting to be 6 from each with 12 total tracks.  Fits nicely, though a bit long, on 3 LP sides:

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Like a River
03. In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
04. Feel You

05. Spring (Among the Living)
06. Magic Bullet
07. Thin Line
08. Wasted

09. Tropics (Erase Traces)
10. Run It
11. Only Memories Remain
12. The First Time

Still Thinkin was hard to cut, love the end of that track a ton especially.  Welcome Home was hard to cut as well, but hey it's an older track and I just couldn't fit it very nicely with how I wanted this to flow.  Honestly there might only be 1 or 2 tracks on both albums I'm not as much a fan of, I think they killed it with both these albums and they work best on their own...

RobRoy286

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jul 11, 2020, 10:50 AM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Jul 11, 2020, 09:36 AMI combined both albums, didn't leave any out, and added Hillside Song. Gotta say guys...this fucking rules. Highly recommend it. These albums flow so well together...kinda like water.

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain
No "I Can't Wait"?
Yeah, I guess I wasn't feeling it this morning! I wanted to just make it the album tracks as is, but I love Hillside Song so much. I Can't Wait didn't seem to fit. The fact that it's actually an old Jacket song made me okay with excluding it from this compilation.

dookie shoot bandit

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain

I keep thinking about Wasted into Tropics!
LIVE!!!
😱😳

Mr. White

Thought this might be a good place for this.

Jim must have let Alex Smith (a.k.a. Lydia Burrell a.k.a. Howell Dawdy) do a remix of Compound Fracture a while back. He never uploaded it and did just yesterday. This is from his Twitter account sending you to the link below to his Soundcloud channel.

"The great @mymorningjacket just released The Waterfall II, and it's certified 'very good' by me, LB. I just remembered I never released my remix of Compound Fracture from Waterfall 1, so here that is:"

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/LydiaBurrell/status/1281645855489970177

Soundcloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/lydia-burrell/my-morning-jacket-compound-fracture-lydia-burrell-remix
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

RobRoy286

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Jul 11, 2020, 06:42 PM

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain

I keep thinking about Wasted into Tropics!
LIVE!!!
😱😳
OHHHH yeah buddy. I tinkered around with this track list a lot, and landed on what I think are some great transitions. Hillside/Beautiful Love/Thin Line/Feel You is such a nice run.

SplatSplatSplat

Here's my list. Only bangers.

Spotify playlist link below if interested in listening. 

1. Spring
 2. Compound
 3. Wasted
 4. Magic Bullet
 5. Hillside
 6. Run It
 7. Big Decisions
 8. First Time
 9. Still Thinking
10. The Waterfall
11. Tropics
12. I Can't Wait
13. Only Memories Remain

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4l7hb2V55ePHYHPunTok0c?si=Z2fEprG3R8WysTx3dqb5sw
You need it.  That's for sure.

derbydave

01. Spinning My Wheels
02. Believe
03. Run It
04. Big Decisions
05. In Its Infancy
06. Still Thinkin
07. Like A River
08. Wasted
09. Tropics
10. The First Time
11. Hillside Song
12. Beautiful Love
13. Thin Line
14. Feel You
15. Spring
16. Magic Bullet
17. Compound Fracture
18. Climbing the Ladder
19. Welcome Home
20. Get the Point
21. Only Memories Remain

Thanks so much for sharing this...
I put together a playlist using your "flow" and love it!!

Out go the lights, it begins...

Come Closer

MMJ: We're releasing these separately b/c they don't make any sense together

Fans: Don't tell us what to do