Feel You Is a Top 10 MMJ Song

Started by HardNightConformist, Jul 15, 2020, 09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardNightConformist

Maybe this is recency bias? But I just put this song "against" some of the other MMJ heavyweights, and this song held its own. Something about how understated yet tantalizing this song is - it feels effortless. Other songs are more epic or elaborate, but most can't capture the free-flowing nature of this one. It's like this song just flowed out of them.

I originally was going to say "Top 5" but their catalogue is too damn good. Although it still might be right up there after Steam Engine & Dondante - but I can't choose between the 7 best songs after that. Just know "Feel You" would be in there somewhere.

Lucius

I definitely agree, it's a very instant song.

I've been trying to get my boyfriend into MMJ for the last 4 years but he just isn't into prog/alt rock, doesn't have the patience and struggles with most stuff that doesn't follow a basic song structure. But I played him Feel You and he LOVES it. One of few Jacket songs that has made it into our shared car playlist :cheesy:
it wouldn't be a party without you

Stevie

Quote from: Lucius on Jul 15, 2020, 10:56 AMI definitely agree, it's a very instant song.

I've been trying to get my boyfriend into MMJ for the last 4 years but he just isn't into prog/alt rock, doesn't have the patience and struggles with most stuff that doesn't follow a basic song structure. But I played him Feel You and he LOVES it. One of few Jacket songs that has made it into our shared car playlist :cheesy:

Interesting, i'll have to try that with my wife..  To date the only Jacket song she's' even remotely shown interest in is their cover of It Makes No Difference.  For whatever reason that does it for her. 

I dont know if Feel You will seem like a top 10 song two years from now but it's definitely one of their best.  Easily the best of the album.  Easily better than anything on the first Waterfall. 

millerjustin

it'll certainly make lots of babies lol

I predict lots of freaky stuff going down on the beach at OBH5 when they play it....
What's in here won't disappear

Jbpats

Sounds like a lot track from darkside, i feel like it would fit perfectly in between Us & them and any color you like.

In terms of a top 10 MMJ tune? I'd have to make a list but it is certainly in the running

Come Closer

Definitely wouldn't come close to cracking the top 25 for me, but I'm much more lukewarm on it than most folks.

jttouch2

Definitely gonna need more time for my analysis. The first time I heard Wasted I thought it was instantly an all timer, but the excitement has cooled off a lot with more listens. Feel You is a pretty epic banger though, definitely leans into their more accessible side for radio stuff but not too much so.

ms. yvon

i love the groove of this track and the way it evolves into the big guitars!  <3  i was surprised to hear it on the radio today, and cheesed when the guitar break was cut short.  :headphones:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

MMJCOBRA

Agree. Jamming to it right now from the hot tub!!

Gotta say, I've listened to the Waterfall II a good two times a day on average since the release.  And I'm loving it more each day and finding little nooks and crannies in the music that I hadn't noticed before.  I feel that we're so very fortunate to have this album in our lives right now.

erwen11

Quote from: unravelled on Jul 17, 2020, 12:22 AMAgree. Jamming to it right now from the hot tub!!

Gotta say, I've listened to the Waterfall II a good two times a day on average since the release.  And I'm loving it more each day and finding little nooks and crannies in the music that I hadn't noticed before.  I feel that we're so very fortunate to have this album in our lives right now.

Same here. There are so many layers to this album that show up with more and more listens. I'm a little concerned I'm going to overplay it but it's just too good not to.

gardenparty

Looking forward to some nice new live transitions with this one

I see these all intermingling very well:
Steam Engine
I Will Sing You Songs
Feel You
Only Memories Remain

just please don't wedge Memories Remain into the middle of Steam Engine again

rkwedge

Quote from: gardenparty on Jul 17, 2020, 11:04 AMjust please don't wedge Memories Remain into the middle of Steam Engine again
Never Ever Ever!  :drum:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

Come Closer

I guess you guys probably aren't big fans of edging

gardenparty

Quote from: Osistheones on Jul 17, 2020, 12:22 PMI guess you guys probably aren't big fans of edging
apparently not

Come Closer

Quote from: gardenparty on Jul 17, 2020, 01:10 PM
Quote from: Osistheones on Jul 17, 2020, 12:22 PMI guess you guys probably aren't big fans of edging
apparently not
As a fellow former Whale fan, I'm surprised you didn't like that jam since you are most likely a masochist.  :drum:

gardenparty

Quote from: Osistheones on Jul 17, 2020, 03:35 PM
Quote from: gardenparty on Jul 17, 2020, 01:10 PM
apparently not
As a fellow former Whale fan, I'm surprised you didn't like that jam since you are most likely a masochist.  :drum:
haha. i was unfamiliar with the term

Love live the Whale!

APR

It's legit top 10.  Good point garden party -- the transitions into and out of this could be really awesome. 

Vibrations

It's a good song, but top 10? To each their own.

Stevie

played Feel You (and later I Will Sing You Songs) for my brother in law the other night over a joint.  He had never heard Jacket before.  He told me it was like something was tickling a part of his brain that he didn't know needed tickling.  I told him i've never really tried to articulate how Jacket makes me feel but that's pretty damn good. 

slappymoe

Quote from: Vibrations on Jul 19, 2020, 10:02 AMIt's a good song, but top 10? To each their own.
agreed, good song.  but putting it into an all-time MMJ top 10 is an insult to their brilliant first five albums, imo.