Main Menu

New Album

Started by Hatfield, May 13, 2021, 04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatfield

With MMJ gearing up for shows, how long before they put out their new record?  Wait until they can put a full tour together next Spring or are we going to see something this fall? 

I'm still digesting and loving Waterfall II and can't wait to see those songs in concert, but am always up for new music from MMJ.

MMJTX

I've gotta think they're going to play more shows than just the festivals they've announced so far this year. With huge announcements from Phish and Dead&Co this week, I could definitely see them announcing a tour soon for 2021.

And therefore announcing the new album soon as well...
Anytime

Cameron

Bo pretty much said on Roadcase they weren't just planning on the Fall fests. It would make sense to release it late summer or early fall.

APR

I can't wait for the new album either.  I heard what Cameron heard on the Bo podcast..... he said they're not the type of band to do one off festivals with nothing else. And because of that I predict late summer for the new stuff. I hope they throw us a bone and release a single or two early in the summer.  I think we'll be waiting a few weeks after OBH goes on sale to learn about any fall shows.  I hope the news comes sooner than later so we can plan.  I'm not booking anything until I hear what MMJ is up to later in 2021. 

gardenparty

I'm still excited to hear Feel You and Wasted live for the first time :cheesy:

APR

Quote from: gardenparty on May 18, 2021, 03:01 PMI'm still excited to hear Feel You and Wasted live for the first time :cheesy:

This exactly!

hoojack

My guess is the standards plus  WFII for the fall tour with the album dropping just after OBH.

Clarkwork

Kinda hope they get the WF2 songs live before dropping the next one. As much as I'd love to hear a new album
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

MMJTX

Ya i'm a bit torn, would love to have new music, but also would like to let WFII breathe a bit before having sets full of brand new songs, although im not going to any of these shows so what do i care, haha
Anytime

APR

I hear you clarkwork, but I'm rooting for them to bring on all the new stuff sooner than later. 

ChiefOKONO

Yeah, as much as I would love to hear a new album already, I think this tour is a great time to showcase WF II before moving to the next phase....

MMJCOBRA

I'd love a teaser from the new album but hope it's a heavy WFII set rounded out by a varied mix of classics and deep cuts.

How killer would it be for them to open night one of OBH5 with a complete rendition of the Waterfall II, followed by the live premiere of the entire new album? Then a five song encore of B-52s covers to blow the non-existent roof off of Mexico!!!

Lonndown27

Would feel disappointed if they played an entire night of WFII. It's just not that good. Wasted is actually going to be 100x better live and Feel You is one of their greatest songs, beautiful love , climbing the ladder live? No. After a pandemic, I would love to even hear a standards hits set over WFII. But why can't we do both??
 Just saying you'll wanna see and hear the new stuff anyday over WFII. It has a kinda scorched earth sound I thought the band would never find. Can't wait to hear more than 3 minutes of it
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MMJCOBRA

Agree to disagree. Love WFII including Climbing the Ladder.  I could see CTL occupying the same live slot as First Light.  Only song I'd ding is Beautiful Love as it's a little plodding to me.

Next point, I didn't say a night of just WF2!. I said kickoff OBH 5 w WF2.... then the new album....then an encore!!!

Last question, how much of the new stuff have you heard @lonndown27 ?

Sorry to thread jack but we need more discussion round these parts!!

CountSA

I can't imagine they'll put out the new album this year.  It's pretty much standard procedure for any artist to announce the new album and tour at the same time, and definitely not to book a tour/sell tickets and then announce a new album afterwards.

Come Closer

But is it standard procedure b/c they use the hype of a new album to sell tickets? Jacket is clearly in a class where they don't really need to do that.

Re: Waterfall 2. I think it's mostly good (better than the first one and Circuital), but I'm not sure how well it will translate live. Don't get the Feel You hype at all, other than people are suckers for spacey songs. The lyrics are completely blah and instrumentally it's not all that interesting either.

Lucius

Hadn't they only done a small amount of work on the album before the pandemic? My guess is the tour is to get them pumped up to finish it in the same way the '19 shows fired them up to do it in the first place.

Whatever happens, you guys are lucky! I hope they can get over to Europe sometime very soon. 2015 feels like a forever ago.

I'd love to hear Feel You and Wasted live. Maybe Run It, too. In a minority here but I prefer Circuital/W1 and would rather hear those songs tbh *runs and hides*
it wouldn't be a party without you

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lucius on May 23, 2021, 06:45 PMHadn't they only done a small amount of work on the album before the pandemic? My guess is the tour is to get them pumped up to finish it in the same way the '19 shows fired them up to do it in the first place.

Whatever happens, you guys are lucky! I hope they can get over to Europe sometime very soon. 2015 feels like a forever ago.

I'd love to hear Feel You and Wasted live. Maybe Run It, too. In a minority here but I prefer Circuital/W1 and would rather hear those songs tbh *runs and hides*
The album is completely finished and mastered!

Lucius

Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 23, 2021, 08:30 PM
Quote from: Lucius on May 23, 2021, 06:45 PMHadn't they only done a small amount of work on the album before the pandemic? My guess is the tour is to get them pumped up to finish it in the same way the '19 shows fired them up to do it in the first place.

The album is completely finished and mastered!

Well, in that case, let's go! :cheesy:
it wouldn't be a party without you

justbcuzido

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 22, 2021, 03:31 PMJust saying you'll wanna see and hear the new stuff anyday over WFII. It has a kinda scorched earth sound I thought the band would never find. Can't wait to hear more than 3 minutes of it

How much of the new album have you heard? When you say scorched earth, is it more that barn burning ISM sound or Z vibes? Or something else entirely?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.