Bermuda Highway?

Started by ChiefOKONO, Mar 19, 2021, 01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Has Jim ever talked about the origin/story behind this song?

TommyBurnz

At Red Rocks in 2019 he stopped mid-song and spoke about the lyric "don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall" and where it came from. Check out the song from that show. It's a pretty cool moment. It was a story, from what I remember, about his favorite toy/stuffed animal falling between his bed and the wall.

ChiefOKONO

omg thank you!  I didn't realize that and I am going to check it out!

ChiefOKONO

I haven't been able to find this one... is the show for sale somewhere?

CC

rkwedge

Quote from: CC on Mar 25, 2021, 01:30 PM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Mar 25, 2021, 01:21 PMI haven't been able to find this one... is the show for sale somewhere?

there's a recording up here
https://archive.org/details/mm2019-08-03/mmj2019-08-03.vwmule.t12.flac
Be sure to check out that Steam Engine from that show too if you haven't heard it.  :thumbsup:
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

johnnYYac

I worked for a family business in Chapel Hill with ties to Bermuda back in the 90's. I remember they often described all the roads on the island as short, because... island.

So, I always took the meaning of "your ass, it draws me in like a Bermuda highway" as something close, short, immediate.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

leigh

This song gives me chills. Just came here wondering if it hit other MMJ listeners the way it hit me at the start of the pandemic - watching the entertainment industry evaporate and its people hurting. This special song brings me to tears every time.

Lucius

I was recently floored by the electric version they played at of their NYE shows, I wanna say 2017? It really stopped me in my tracks! Stunning. Been listening to it a lot
it wouldn't be a party without you

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 17, 2021, 04:38 PMI worked for a family business in Chapel Hill with ties to Bermuda back in the 90's. I remember they often described all the roads on the island as short, because... island.

So, I always took the meaning of "your ass, it draws me in like a Bermuda highway" as something close, short, immediate.

Well John, as you know I lived on a barrier island for about twenty five years. Biking, driving, or even walking the ocean roads were a must do. Once you did they were almost magnetic like and addictive. Something that drew you in and you just had to keep doing and have as a part of your everyday life.

I always took the ass line that way and that's what's great about these types of lines. People can put a meaning to them that's relatable to their lives. Kind of like how a great song can be covered by different bands but still sound great. A great line, like a great song, stands tall.
"Where's Jim going?"