RECENT SETLISTS

Started by shumatec1012, Sep 10, 2021, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shumatec1012

Anyone else note that NOTHING has been performed this tour ( so far) from At Dawn? And only one appearance from Tennessee Fire ( War Begun). Before the hiatus there was a comment from Jim in an interview about how hard it is for him to revisit 20 year old songs every night- looks like he is taking that to heart this tour..

Not complaining, just a noticeable departure for songs like " The Way He Sings", " Lowdown" or even " Phone Went West" to not be showing up..

That being said, this weekend we have our first multi-night stand- so maybe some old stuff ( or gosh, even some new debuts..) will rear their head.  :drum:

Lonndown27

these new setlists have been really bad. really bad. No one can deny it.
There's been some cool little things and combinations, segues etc but....

-Circuital, Wordless, Victory & Touch Me II need to stop being played every night
-Tropics & Spring can be retired
-Run Thru has become a rarity....what the hell???

For a band to have this big of a catalog and stay in their post 2011 headspace is bland as hell.
The darkness, power and mystery of the band really stems from their pre-2009 output.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

mdgsolo

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Sep 10, 2021, 01:17 PMthese new setlists have been really bad. really bad. No one can deny it.

-Circuital, Wordless, Victory & Touch Me II need to stop being played every night

For a band to have this big of a catalog and stay in their post 2011 headspace is bland as hell.
The darkness, power and mystery of the band really stems from their pre-2009 output.

That's just like, your opinion man

ericm

I'm with Lonn on this, except I love Tropics and think that and Spring are too young to be retired.

My thoughts are it's early yet and the guys are getting their stage legs under them, so going with what's familiar and comfortable to start is kind of expected. I figured the new tunes are going to be played early in any tour and as a result something has to get nudged out. I just hope as the tour progresses the songs nudged out get rotated more.

No question to me, some of the songs Lonn mentioned can be rotated and not played pretty much every show. That's just one more reason I try to do the multi night runs anytime I can over a few one offs.

Here's hoping Forrest Hills gets deep.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Cameron

I could lose Circuital forever.

shumatec1012

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Sep 10, 2021, 01:17 PMthese new setlists have been really bad. really bad. No one can deny it.

I think there is some merit, artistically in favoring your new stuff- I def don't feel the same way that the band's best days/ material are behind them. I am however, completely with you in wanting to phase out the " constants"- Wordless Chorus is a cool song, but when I know its coming EVERY. FUCKING. SHOW. it loses its magic.  :P

Lonndown27

Quote from: shumatec1012 on Sep 10, 2021, 02:26 PM

I think there is some merit, artistically in favoring your new stuff- I def don't feel the same way that the band's best days/ material are behind them. I am however, completely with you in wanting to phase out the " constants"- Wordless Chorus is a cool song, but when I know its coming EVERY. FUCKING. SHOW. it loses its magic.  :P

Yes, I'm in no way saying they shouldn't play new stuff or should stray away, I get it: playing new stuff is what keeps musicians feeling alive. I get that 100%.
But my god...don't they get it?
They have so many amazing songs that people may never even hear...
Look at Led Zeppelin....they never played stuff like In The Light, The Rover, D'yer M'aker, Ramble On, When the Levee Breaks, they barely ever ever ever played those songs and those are all among their greatest....
We cannot look back and think of Rollin Back, Strangulation!, If All Else Fails, Where To Begin, It's About Twilight Now, etc in the same fashion...although to MMJ's credit, they've played a lot more material than many many many other bands ever would.

Just....THEY HAVE SO MANY FUCKING GREAT SONGS!!!
PLAY EM
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

dookie shoot bandit

Have to fully agree with Lonn

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen them when OBH wasn't their Yellow Ledbetter. And it was played in the middle of the set.
I would love for them to have a new tour and open with OBH! Then the rest of the night, you are on the edge of your seat. As much as I still enjoy the song live, it always saddens me, cause as soon as it begins, we know immediately that the night is over

shumatec1012

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Sep 10, 2021, 05:06 PM
Quote from: shumatec1012 on Sep 10, 2021, 02:26 PM

Yes, I'm in no way saying they shouldn't play new stuff or should stray away, I get it: playing new stuff is what keeps musicians feeling alive. I get that 100%.
But my god...don't they get it?
They have so many amazing songs that people may never even hear...
Look at Led Zeppelin....they never played stuff like In The Light, The Rover, D'yer M'aker, Ramble On, When the Levee Breaks, they barely ever ever ever played those songs and those are all among their greatest....
We cannot look back and think of Rollin Back, Strangulation!, If All Else Fails, Where To Begin, It's About Twilight Now, etc in the same fashion...although to MMJ's credit, they've played a lot more material than many many many other bands ever would.

Just....THEY HAVE SO MANY FUCKING GREAT SONGS!!!
PLAY EM

Totally get what you're saying- but just some perspective- Robert Plant recently ( ish) turned down an opportunity to make mega bucks reuniting the band.. allegedly everyone else was on board.. he turned it down in stating, just like Jim, that the songs no longer resonated with him.  A band can become a nostalgia act when its just playing what the crowd wants to hear. At the end of the day I want the band to play whatever turns them on enough to keep the train rolling!  I know you probably do too, def not trying to be argumentative. :P

I've seen Dylan so many times, and quite honestly many of them were uninspired performances. The best I've ever seen him is when he was doing virtually an entire set of Sinnatra covers. It was clear it was what he wanted to play, and when the band is doing what they want it's infectious.

I think a HUGE part of this band taking on the hiatus was Jim wanting to sing NEW songs-as evident by the very few Jacket songs that made their way into his solo sets.  ( Dude must really love I'm Amazed.. I get it!)

I'm with you though with the sets going stale- if you're going to play OBH and Victory Dance every fucking night at least experiment more with song placement. It feels mechanical when the encore is the same 3 songs over and over again.

Cameron

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Sep 10, 2021, 08:51 PMHave to fully agree with Lonn

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen them when OBH wasn't their Yellow Ledbetter. And it was played in the middle of the set.
I would love for them to have a new tour and open with OBH! Then the rest of the night, you are on the edge of your seat. As much as I still enjoy the song live, it always saddens me, cause as soon as it begins, we know immediately that the night is over

I saw them open with it multiple times.

ranyart

Funny thing is there are plenty of bands that play the same damn thing every night in the same order, and some folks go night after night and gladly soak it up.  I'm just happy they are still playing together and I think we need to keep in mind that just like the rest of us they are coming out of their covid cave into what remains a weird world.  Enjoy what you can and rest assured they will keep (R)evolving...

walterfredo

Every time they come back to touring it starts like this and diversifies as the tour deepens.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: mdgsolo on Sep 10, 2021, 01:35 PM

Love and respect Londowns opinion mostly but that reeks of armchair quarterbacking.  Like the Dead, some of My Morning Jacket's more mundane setlists outperform shows with a more varied setlist in a live setting.

Also gotta understand they're co-headling a bunch of shows so far, they're working in 2 albums worth of new material that hasn't ever been played in concert yet, and everyone's been in isolation for over a year.

C'mon now!!  I don't care at all what they will play when I see them tomorrow. I've already had bonnaroo cancelled and ATL postponed.  I'm grateful for just being able to see MMJ again after the extremely shitty year I've gone through and am still suffering through. 

I will rocking out like it's Bonnaroo 2006 all over again.

ericm

Quote from: unravelled on Sep 12, 2021, 07:15 PM
Quote from: mdgsolo on Sep 10, 2021, 01:35 PM

Love and respect Londowns opinion mostly but that reeks of armchair quarterbacking.  Like the Dead, some of My Morning Jacket's more mundane setlists outperform shows with a more varied setlist in a live setting.

Also gotta understand they're co-headling a bunch of shows so far, they're working in 2 albums worth of new material that hasn't ever been played in concert yet, and everyone's been in isolation for over a year.

C'mon now!!  I don't care at all what they will play when I see them tomorrow. I've already had bonnaroo cancelled and ATL postponed.  I'm grateful for just being able to see MMJ again after the extremely shitty year I've gone through and am still suffering through. 

I will rocking out like it's Bonnaroo 2006 all over again.

Fucking A! Go have a blast and enjoy the show!

I know I probably went a bit too hard in Charlotte but it's been a shitty abnormal year and I wanted to rock out so bad. There's no better band to do that with than MMJ, so go enjoy yourself.

"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

obviously we ALL love the band, nobody has to pretend to be the ultimate fan who's never ever criticized them about anything, that whole schtick should be saved for the facebook group LOL obviously we'll take em anyway we can get em, but my god would you honestly rather have Wonderful or Where To Begin? First Light or Easy Morning Rebel? In Its Infancy or The Dark? It's not trying to rip on the band, just trying to say look at those songs.

So, if this is their "warm up" type material, that's fine by me, I'm ok with all of it.
I had an amazing time watching all 2 hours and 12 minutes of the show at Forest Hills last night, and that setlist wasn't the greatest ever ON PAPER, but when you listen to the show it's unreal.

Sometimes they're a lot like Zeppelin was live in the 70s: sometimes the songs on paper just seem BLAH...but when you listen to it (or hopefully WERE THERE) it's about the performances. The way they make songs new, almost as if they're playing one of those for the first time, is a special talent.
But damn, look at Summer 2017....they were mailing it in.
By the time NYE 2017 came around, they were firing on all cylinders through to OBH4 cause they knew it could be the end.

Seeing them last night, debuting IN COLOR live....my god....what a song....best of the night in my opinion.

DaydreamNation

Yeah I saw a setlist from I think the Philly show and was stunned at how bland it was. If I had been there Steam, IWSYS and OBH would have been the only three old ones I was really excited about and those are far from rarities.

And to be clear, this is not a beef with the new stuff at all! I wanna hear as much Waterfall II/self-titled stuff as they wanna play. And cool yeah play stuff from Circuital and Waterfall I but it doesn't need to be half the set. I like Tropics and Compound Fracture and songs like that a ton but they can definitely get put in the "every fifth show" category now, don't need to be staples. Shouldn't be way more common than Cobra or Run Thru or that epic version of Picture of You they started doing circa late 2016!

What makes it even more frustrating is how they are really doing some cool stuff with the older songs that do get the nod. The Dondantes alone this tour have been awesome from what I've listened to. I wanna hear what they'd do with Strangulation or something!
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

shumatec1012

Looks like the band has been listening in and our wishes for my diversity in the sets is starting to materialize. Where to Begin was played!! One Big Holiday opener! The set lists since Forest Hills look very inspired- and god knows they are playing well!

One of the things I have noticed most in the shows I have heard is the clarity of Jim's guitar playing. In years past some of his solos would tend to rely heavily on distortion and stage energy more than his playing- this tour some of the best guitar playing is coming from Jim ( no offense at all to the wonderful playing by Carl) It feels like the band truly has a dual threat at lead guitar right now- and its awesome to hear!

MMJTX

Absolutely heater of a tour so far, this rejuvenated Jacket is a sight to see, go see them this tour
Anytime

Lonndown27

they listened to us EXACTLY to a tee. And it's because our opinions were valid. We weren't ripping the band, we just wanted more than Circuital, Victory Dance, Wordless and Touch Me II with Touch Me I as a rarity. We wanted more, because the band has so many damn good songs.

They are in the groove as a band and now here come the rarities. Whoever was at Santa Barbara, you were very lucky. I really hope to make it to any of these gigs.

Shug

Quote from: shumatec1012 on Sep 27, 2021, 09:27 AMOne of the things I have noticed most in the shows I have heard is the clarity of Jim's guitar playing. In years past some of his solos would tend to rely heavily on distortion and stage energy more than his playing- this tour some of the best guitar playing is coming from Jim ( no offense at all to the wonderful playing by Carl) It feels like the band truly has a dual threat at lead guitar right now- and its awesome to hear!

Totally man! I heard that too, at Santa Barbara.  Seemed more like a dual lead guitar band than ever before.  Really heard it in In Color.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"