Ohana Festival 2020

Started by parkervb, Mar 09, 2020, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Unfortunate, but not super surprising I guess since they aren't the main headliner (maybe next year?)

I wish I could have made it to one of the other shows this week.... but I'll take what I can get!

Cameron

KoL canceled.  Their mom is very sick and about to pass unfortunately. 

Maybe we'll get an MMJ headline spot after all.

sillyboob

Quote from: Cameron on Sep 23, 2021, 01:53 PMKoL canceled.  Their mom is very sick and about to pass unfortunately. 

Maybe we'll get an MMJ headline spot after all.

Gotta figure that to be the case.  Bummed for the KOL family, but very okay with this for Friday.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

sillyboob

Just posted by OhanaFest, extended MMJ set followed by an Eddie Vedder set.

Cameron

Varitek

This was posted at Setlist.fm

Ohana Fest-Dana Point, CA

Victory Dance
Anytime
One Big Holiday
Circuital
I'm Amazed
(Jim and Carl solo, then full band)
Regularly Scheduled Programming
Lay Low
Feel You
Spring (Among the Living)
Off the Record
Wordless Chorus
Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
Wasted
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Rupert230

I just want to say they put on a fantastic show.  I don't know how long it ended up being but it was stellar.

ChiefOKONO

The setlist is correct.
I had an absolute blast at the show!  The band was having a great time and such fun on stage and played as good as ever if not better.  Jim definitely seems to have a different vibe than in the past.  He is really enjoying being out there again.

It felt so great to see them after 2 years!!!  I feel like I was spoiled in the past being able to see them a few times a year sometimes.

My favorites were the ones I had never heard live before, Wasted, Feel You (sweet dueling guitars!) and Regularly Scheduled Programming.  They jammed and could jam even more with no time limits.  We were lucky that they got to play longer than they were going to originally.  I'm Amazed intro was really nice, esp. Carl's guitar work.  I was so amped to see One Big Holiday so early in the show.  Also it seems like Patrick has a new kit.   Light show was awesome as usual and the sound was quite good in the back.  I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like sound systems have improved in the last few years.

Super excited for the new album now and what kind of shows I will get to see after it's released.  I wish I had a ticket for another gig right now!!   Also, Eddie Vedder mentioned how awesome their set was too - I think he watched it so that was pretty cool.

sillyboob

OhanaFest was a lot of fun.  Kinda expected to get Run It, with the back to the water reference (got it at Berkeley during a run of 5 new songs), but they stuck with the heavy hitters for this festival set.  It rocked.  Getting OBH so early was a trip, but the changeup in the setlist was very cool.  Ohana & Berkeley done, looking forward to New Orleans.  Then a long stretch until OBH.

Cameron

Really enjoyed Ohana and wish it wasn't my only show of the tour.

mkterp

Had a great time at Ohana, and it was a nice topper on the Forest Hills shows for me. Pretty special weekend (my wife's 40th bday), with Pearl Jam and MMJ being our favorite bands. I feel compelled to share here...PJ will always be my lifetime #1, but I'm a little surprised just how much more I was into MMJ's set, and in general have been following the setlists like I used to do with PJ. It feels like it's come full circle, in that I was intro'd to MMJ in '06 opening for PJ. The torch has been passed.

ChiefOKONO

That is pretty cool and interesting to hear your perspective.   I also kind of thought something similar about passing the torch when I heard Eddie's comments about MMJ's live show.

For a while in the 2010s I kind of felt I got a lot of PJ in so I took a break, i.e. one of the shows sold out so I skipped instead of paying through the nose.   Also I was traveling to see too many bands so I couldn't really justify adding more to the list haha.   Now I am also more into MMJ overall as I haven't really been blown away by PJ's more recent material.  Hopefully that changes with their next album.

Also on another side note - 2 of my friends who have been fans of MMJ since around Circuital finally got to see their first show this tour and they had a blast so it was pretty cool to hear that since my first show was a long time ago and it is tougher to remember the feeling afterward!  I know that I was super excited and rocked out big time since Jim at that time was more wild on stage and headbanging :)

Quote from: mkterp on Sep 30, 2021, 09:38 PMHad a great time at Ohana, and it was a nice topper on the Forest Hills shows for me. Pretty special weekend (my wife's 40th bday), with Pearl Jam and MMJ being our favorite bands. I feel compelled to share here...PJ will always be my lifetime #1, but I'm a little surprised just how much more I was into MMJ's set, and in general have been following the setlists like I used to do with PJ. It feels like it's come full circle, in that I was intro'd to MMJ in '06 opening for PJ. The torch has been passed.

Cameron

They're my top 2 bands as well and if I was going to pick one to get an extra set last weekend it would have been MMJ.

mkterp

Well said. I'll add that I think Gigaton is an absolute triumph for a band in their mid-late 50s, and some of the new songs were the highlight of the PJ set for me. It's just that a PJ show has become more of a party, and MMJ is the one that is more of a transcendent experience for me.

Anyway - great fest! Really enjoyed a lot of the bands - Spoon, Cold War Kids, Black Pumas...I was particularly impressed with Yola, who I knew very little about.