My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

searchinbig

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 14, 2021, 07:26 PMJust got confirmation that the vinyl has shipped.  :thumbsup:
Now... what are the odds it comes earlier than release date :cheesy:
Or on release date for that matter

Anybody else??? I can't take it any more!!!
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Hennings

Quote from: searchinbig on Oct 19, 2021, 11:23 AM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 14, 2021, 07:26 PMJust got confirmation that the vinyl has shipped.  :thumbsup:

I don't have a shipping confirmation yet.

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Hennings on Oct 19, 2021, 11:30 AM

Big tease anyway. Package still sitting in Tennessee saying "Almost Ready"

Nikkogino

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Oct 19, 2021, 12:22 PM
Quote from: Hennings on Oct 19, 2021, 11:30 AM

Big tease anyway. Package still sitting in Tennessee saying "Almost Ready"

Same

kotchishm

Shipped for me. Getting delivered Saturday
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Nikkogino

Looks like it is out in the wild.  Vinyls on turntables per someone on the Facebook fan club.

oistheone

Can't wait to hear what y'all think! The more I listen to it, the more I think this might be my favorite MMJ album since Z!

RobRoy286

Ooooof I can't wait to listen!

CountSA

Just fired it up.  There's really not much better than the feeling of getting a new album from your favorite band.

Nikkogino

Quote from: CountSA on Oct 21, 2021, 09:45 AMJust fired it up.  There's really not much better than the feeling of getting a new album from your favorite band.
Halfway through and I'm loving it.  Feels so much different from their other albums and I like that.

Stevie

Just wrapping up my second listen. 

I cant formulate an opinion that will have any legs to it quite yet.  Also need to hear more of these live before the final verdict can be rendered.  But...i do know one thing: its not the album i was hoping they would make.  I was hoping for the love child of ISM and Z.  They gave it the self title so i assumed that it would be a portrayal of [what i think of as] their true essence. 

Instead, it feels like a collection of semi-related new directions and ideas.  That can still be great, i just wish they would have named it more aptly.  Or.. maybe they decided that the essence of Jacket IS exploration and discovery and im just clinging to the past.

I do know this: if they decide to keep making music together, its always going to be worth listening to and i will always root for them. 

Nikkogino

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 21, 2021, 10:32 AMOr.. maybe they decided that the essence of Jacket IS exploration and discovery and im just clinging to the past.

I would go with this.  Jim, like most musicians, is interested in trying new things, and I would imagine that just going back to impersonate previous albums is not what the band is interested in doing.  I think this album breaks new grounds and rarely calls back to previous mmj albums, while paying homage to the genres/artists that have influenced them.  I hear some old Jacket in here, but I also hear some Uniform Distortion and especially some Eternally Even on many tracks.  I feel like this is a band produced album that blends so much of what makes MMJ who they are.

ranyart

https://wfpk.org/2021/my-morning-jacket-day-october-22nd-and-a-chance-to-win/

"In celebration of their long-awaited new full-length, we'll play entirely My Morning Jacket and related projects on release day! Tune in Friday, October 22nd from 8 am till 5 pm to hear album tracks from the past, side projects, Jim James produced artists and of course, lots of songs from the brand new self-titled release! Then,  Laura Shine will play the Top Ten Most Requested MMJ songs for the Friday Ride Home from 5 – 6 pm, so keep an eye on WFPK socials to make your request!"

We love WFPK Radio Louisville - best radio station around and one of the best ever!

diddy57

From the moment I heard Complex, I conjured a theory of its origin -- this is the full band swing at Jim's Uniform Distortion mindset. I've since read a few album reviews linking this record to Jim's second solo outing -- and some acknowledgments on this site from fans -- citing the striking Uniform Distortion link. UD, to me, is incredibly underrated and has always sounded like a bastard MMJ album. The fact that the band performed Throwback before Jim took it solo lends credence to the fact that the songs seemed so suited to the full band, and only Jim could tell us whether those songs on UD were initially meant to be part of a My Morning Jacket record. Maybe the guys weren't in a good place collectively to do it at the time, or perhaps they were too burnt out from touring to fire up the jets so soon. In any case, it makes for a good discussion in the wake of what we're hearing now.

I was struck reading Steve Hyden's interview with Jim looking back at past records in which James said he and the band found the roots to their rejuvenation when they stopped saying "yes to everything" ... which, of course, is the title of one of Uniform Distortion's best confessional songs. And of course, with this record and the accompanying tour, it feels like a rebirth in which they are doing it their own way for the most part -- self-producing the songs, limiting the tour stops, playing varied sets, staying energized, basically clearing the decks for a fresh approach. It may be one of the reasons they did not choose to put a title on the album. Because it really does feel like a new beginning.

If this record leads to a new, improved appreciation of Uniform Distortion, I'll be all for it. Jim's first and third solo records clearly sounded like solo projects, but UD is different. It just feels like it should have been an MMJ effort, and hopefully it isn't lost to its solo presentation. The band has no shortage of songs to play during future shows, but it would be great to hear a nod or two to UD in future band sets -- Throwback, for sure, but also maybe No Secrets, Yes To Everything and others. The reason is simple: Many of them fit alongside the new material.

For now, I very much look forward to hearing the rest of the new album. I attended MMJ's Greek Theater show in Berkeley and it was resplendent. And while I place it in the context of the entire catalog, I won't forget to include Uniform Distortion. It's obviously too much a part of the big picture to ignore. Its messages might have ultimately saved the band from a permanent breakup. That notion alone makes it essential.

Nikkogino

Least Expected is ridiculously amazing, and I haven't seen any reviewer really talk about it.

RobRoy286

The FOMO is real right now! Gonna be hard to focus at work tomorrow! Luckily I can listen to music while I work. Just hope no one around me is expecting a conversation because it ain't happening.

CountSA

I love Jim mimicking the RSP "had enough!" line with the backing vocals on I Never Could Get Enough.

Lucius

Hoping this hits streaming sites at midnight tonight UK time! Gonna be firing up my dry vape for sure. My first listen to TW2 was on a 420 cloud and it was bliss. Hoping to recapture that atmosphere :bath: 
it wouldn't be a party without you

oistheone

Quote from: Nikkogino on Oct 21, 2021, 11:10 AMLeast Expected is ridiculously amazing, and I haven't seen any reviewer really talk about it.

That track clicked immediately for me! Mentioned it on the previous page -- might be one of the coolest grooves MMJ has ever recorded?!

MMJTX

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 21, 2021, 10:32 AMJust wrapping up my second listen. 

I cant formulate an opinion that will have any legs to it quite yet.  Also need to hear more of these live before the final verdict can be rendered.  But...i do know one thing: its not the album i was hoping they would make.  I was hoping for the love child of ISM and Z.  They gave it the self title so i assumed that it would be a portrayal of [what i think of as] their true essence. 

Instead, it feels like a collection of semi-related new directions and ideas.  That can still be great, i just wish they would have named it more aptly.  Or.. maybe they decided that the essence of Jacket IS exploration and discovery and im just clinging to the past.

I do know this: if they decide to keep making music together, its always going to be worth listening to and i will always root for them. 

I think it's been said pretty clearly by Jim and the band that the reason for choosing to self-title this album is that this is a new beginning for the band, like most bands naming their first album self-titled, and with the reinvigorated Jacket, this is a coming out party for the new Jacket.
I'm sure a lot of fans are hoping for the band to get back to ISM or Z sounds as so many people became fans around that time, but it's been stated, and pretty clearly a "new" band altogether, and from their live shows already this year, they are crushing it and i'll take it.
Anytime