The Song Meaning Game

Started by The_Big_Come_Up, May 31, 2007, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Come Up

I've read a lot about how most Jacket songs don't have much meaning, but I refuse to believe that. Sooooo, to kill some boredom, i decided to start this little "song meaning game" so all of you (that means you DARK), and chime in on what you think. I'll run through every song eventually, but i'll start with the first album, the Tennessee Fire

Heartbreakin Man- I think the title says it all. I say its about a guy who usually does the heartbreaking, having his heart broken. Whats worse, is that the guy doesn't tell her, but waits for her to "understand." Eventually seeing her drives him crazy, cuz then he waits for her to "use the door."

They Ran- According to Jim, this song has no meaning. I believe him.

The Bear- I always thought the "bear" was symbolic of suicide, and that the narrator talks about how he "felt that way and knew i shouldn't have gone", and that "there's still time for you to change your mind"

Nashville to Kentucky- My guess: The Narrator feels stuck in an unfruitful place and wants out nowww.

Old September Blues- Once again, a sorta veiled love song about how at the end of the day, the narrator is thinking of someone and how they complemented them, but the complement isn't exactly that affectionate. The narrator wants her to put away her baggage (corset, shoe, blues), and come be with him. Just my guess.

If All Else Fails- A song about the doubt guys seem to have when it comes to love.

It's About Twilight Now- I have no idea. Honestly, I need some help with this one.

Evelyn Is Not Real- The meaning of this song has been made pretty clear in interviews. It's about the girl who guys dream of/ songwriters write about, who doesn't exist. In this case, shes cheating on the narrator.

War Begun- Despite mentioning "robots", I think this song has some deeper meaning than being about a sci-fi war. The last few lines suggest the the narrator seems to not wan't to leave because someone is going to need him.

Picture of You- I'm pretty sure this is about a guy whose gone through a breakup, but still has feelings and looks at her "pictures". He wants her back, and expresses that he's "sorry" a lot during the song.

I Will Be There When You Die- A song about unconditional love, and a vow that you'll stay with someone through the thick and thin. Beautiful song.

The Dark- ????. My only idea, "The Dark" represents the crap that people deal with during their everyday lives.

By My Car- One of the deepest songs on the record. I find that its about a guy talking to someone he was once with, who seems to be with a someone new, or "evan". The narrator is clearly still in love, and threatens to "beat his head in", questions her about what they do, and has the whole thing "playin over and over again in my head." The only way he can get his mind of her is to leave and go to Los Angeles, where there will be other girls by his car, but not the one he loves.

Butch Cassidy- It's probably about the guy's legend, but it also has some deeper meaning about giving it all and friendship.

I Think I'm Going to Hell- Pretty much what the title suggests.

I want to hear other theories everybody.

corey

They're all about Jebus. Every last one of them.

megisnotreal

QuoteThey're all about Jebus. Every last one of them.

dude. this was settled a few weeks ago.

all jacket songs are about a spiritual romance with erik estrada.

;D

realdeal

Jim said that 'I Think I'm Going To Hell' was about the movie Jacobs Ladder.

The DARK

Gotta agree with most of yours, Big Come Up...here are a few additions:

It's About Twilight Now- Hard to get this one. It could be about meeting a girl that you haven't seen in years, and all the time that has passed seemed like "bright lights" until now. Or it could just be gibberish.  ;)

The Dark- I think it's about breaking the normal rhythm of life, which is choking him, and doing new things. Because he lets in the "dark", he can sleep at night and be happy.
In another time, in another place, in another face

The Big Come Up

QuoteGotta agree with most of yours, Big Come Up...here are a few additions:

It's About Twilight Now- Hard to get this one. It could be about meeting a girl that you haven't seen in years, and all the time that has passed seemed like "bright lights" until now. Or it could just be gibberish.  ;)

The Dark- I think it's about breaking the normal rhythm of life, which is choking him, and doing new things. Because he lets in the "dark", he can sleep at night and be happy.

Sounds good, At Dawn next. I'll get on that sometime.

Chills

QuoteBy My Car- One of the deepest songs on the record. I find that its about a guy talking to someone he was once with, who seems to be with a someone new, or "evan". The narrator is clearly still in love, and threatens to "beat his head in", questions her about what they do, and has the whole thing "playin over and over again in my head." The only way he can get his mind of her is to leave and go to Los Angeles, where there will be other girls by his car, but not the one he loves.

I'll need to add my own interpretation here. The singer claims 'Los Angeles ain't that far, all the rest of the girls said they'd be there by my car.'

In my view, he doesn't actually consider going to LA. It is a desperate attempt to make the girl (who is now with the hated 'Evan') reconsider him. To draw attention to himself, he claims to leave. To make her jealous, he claims there are plenty of other girls willing to leave with him.

In the end, Los Angeles IS very far, there are no girls who said they'd wait by his car. He wouldn't even want those girls, he wants the one (back) who is now dating Evan.

Hence, By My Car

Now let's discuss what Like A Virgin's about  :)

Jon T.

JxD1903

Yeah I agree that some of them HAVE to be about something regardless of what Jim James.  Maybe I'm wrong, but come on.

I'd love to know what Steam Engine is really about,  I can make my own meaning from the lyrics but I still wonder.  God I love that song.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

sweatboard

Word Up!!!  

to anyone who wondered
what old jebus meant to me
take him out to go diving
in red patoka sea
the brain melts in the twilight
with the boar and moving trees
your skin looks good in moonlight
and god damn those shaky knees
the fact that my heart's beating
is all the proof you need

ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED!!!!
There's Still Time.........

Jackets N Pones

I was searching for the meaning behind They Ran and found this amazing thread to bump. Shout out to all of these OG forum members. If anyone has any "meanings" behind any MMJ songs please post here. That being said I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on meaning behind They Ran, Phone and War Begun among others. Apologies if these have been covered in other threads but just thought this would be a good thread to cover any and all song meanings. Love JNP
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

MMJTX

Believe i read this somewhere or heard it from someone but The Bear is about drug use, it's a bad idea to go down to the pier to buy drugs, that's where drug users hung out, they've lost touch with their beating hearts, there's still time to stop using...etc.
Anytime

Lucius

Evil Urges has always intrigued me. I'd love to know what that one is about. As a gay guy I obviously love the lyrics about dedicating your love to any woman or man and "I'm not saying that I want it some day, I'm ready for it now" to me sounds like such a coming out lyric, as well as being one of the bands strongest, catchiest hooks! But I also feel like the song could be about someone shaking off their own judgemental tendencies and becoming more accepting of other people. I feel like the latter is more likely but I still relate to the lyrics the other way :evil:
it wouldn't be a party without you

Yeryl

Quote from: The Big Come Up on May 31, 2007, 10:22 AMI've read a lot about how most Jacket songs don't have much meaning, but I refuse to believe that. Sooooo, to kill some boredom, i decided to start this little "song meaning game" so all of you (that means you DARK), and chime in on what you think. I'll run through every song eventually, but i'll start with the first album, the Tennessee Fire

Heartbreakin Man- I think the title says it all. I say its about a guy who usually does the heartbreaking, having his heart broken. Whats worse, is that the guy doesn't tell her, but waits for her to "understand." Eventually seeing her drives him crazy, cuz then he waits for her to "use the door."

They Ran- According to Jim, this song has no meaning. I believe him.

The Bear- I always thought the "bear" was symbolic of suicide, and that the narrator talks about how he "felt that way and knew i shouldn't have gone", and that "there's still time for you to change your mind"

Nashville to Kentucky- My guess: The Narrator feels stuck in an unfruitful place and wants out nowww.

Old September Blues- Once again, a sorta veiled love song about how at the end of the day, the narrator is thinking of someone and how they complemented them, but the complement isn't exactly that affectionate. The narrator wants her to put away her baggage (corset, shoe, blues), and come be with him. Just my guess.

If All Else Fails- A song about the doubt guys seem to have when it comes to love.

It's About Twilight Now- I have no idea. Honestly, I need some help with this one.

Evelyn Is Not Real- The meaning of this song has been made pretty clear in interviews. It's about the girl who guys dream of/ songwriters write about, who doesn't exist. In this case, shes cheating on the narrator.

War Begun- Despite mentioning "robots", I think this song has some deeper meaning than being about a sci-fi war. The last few lines suggest the the narrator seems to not wan't to leave because someone is going to need him.

Picture of You- I'm pretty sure this is about a guy whose gone through a breakup, but still has feelings and looks at her "pictures". He wants her back, and expresses that he's "sorry" a lot during the song.

I Will Be There When You Die- A song about unconditional love, and a vow that you'll stay with someone through the thick and thin. Beautiful song.

The Dark- ????. My only idea, "The Dark" represents the crap that people deal with during their everyday lives.

By My Car- One of the deepest songs on the record. I find that its about a guy talking to someone he was once with, who seems to be with a someone new, or "evan". The narrator is clearly still in love, and threatens to "beat his head in", questions her about what they do, and has the whole thing "playin over and over again in my head." The only way he can get his mind of her is to leave and go to Los Angeles, where there will be other girls by his car, but not the one he loves.

Butch Cassidy- It's probably about the guy's legend, but it also has some deeper meaning about giving it all and friendship.

I Think I'm Going to Hell- Pretty much what the title suggests.

Lots of feedback at the Song Meanings website online.  I typically Google the name of the song and artist, then scroll results for the son meanings result.
Can't you see that I'm smiling?

Come Closer

Is The Dark about oppressive cops? There's one of those Dutch broadcasts from 00 I think where the DJ is talking in Dutch and IIRC he goes blah blah The Dark blah blah and then Jim starts talking about the cops.

sillyboob

Quote from: Lucius on Mar 12, 2022, 04:06 PMEvil Urges has always intrigued me. I'd love to know what that one is about. As a gay guy I obviously love the lyrics about dedicating your love to any woman or man and "I'm not saying that I want it some day, I'm ready for it now" to me sounds like such a coming out lyric, as well as being one of the bands strongest, catchiest hooks! But I also feel like the song could be about someone shaking off their own judgemental tendencies and becoming more accepting of other people. I feel like the latter is more likely but I still relate to the lyrics the other way :evil:

If its all the same we're tired of waiting come on then
And dedicate your love to any woman or man
No racial boundary lines, no social subdivisions-
If you want it- you can!
I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "someday"
I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "somehow"
I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "someday, " "somehow"
Ooh! I'm ready for it now!

Jim's just tired of waiting on a judgemental world filled with bigots and racists.  He's done, he's ready for something a new world, a new way driven by love.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

just so you know, Evelyn's Not Real is a song dedicated for Johnny Quaid's Grandma, who let them jam and record on the farm!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Apr 25, 2022, 12:57 PMjust so you know, Evelyn's Not Real is a song dedicated for Johnny Quaid's Grandma, who let them jam and record on the farm!

Very cool trivia! Thank you
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Come Closer

Lol why did they dedicate a song about an imaginary GF who's cucking you to a grandma

MMJTX

Anytime