European tour?

Started by The Lonely European, Oct 26, 2021, 09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

Quote from: The Lonely European on Aug 09, 2022, 04:39 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Aug 09, 2022, 12:14 PMwe will be in Europe end of March/beginning of April next year. So that would be the perfect time for them to return to Europe, obviously.
If that's how it works then I think all European MMJ fans would go together and pay your trip to Europe😊

LOL! fingers crossed!

Lucius

Next Spring would be great! Pleeeeeeeeeease boys :cheesy:
it wouldn't be a party without you

The Lonely European

They just posted on Facebook "Keep an eye (or two) out" Translated in to Swedish that means that you should check out something for big news. Maybe it does not work to translate like that? Could it be big news about a world tour or do I just over analyse this? 😁

The Lonely European

Quote from: The Lonely European on Aug 18, 2022, 05:49 PMThey just posted on Facebook "Keep an eye (or two) out" Translated in to Swedish that means that you should check out something for big news. Maybe it does not work to translate like that? Could it be big news about a world tour or do I just over analyse this? 😁

keep an eye out

1. be alert.
2. be careful.
3. be on guard.
4. beware.
5. check out.
6. have a care.
7. heads up.
8. hearken.

.........?

The Lonely European

No rumours on a European tour?

ranyart

I can't imagine they are heading your way anytime before spring 2023, and that probably means we will be hearing about OBH and NYE sooner than later (and maybe some more shows in November?).

Lucius

Spring '23 shows for the UK are starting to be announced by various bands/artists now so I live in hope! But realistically I don't think they'll be back over here until they can book a festival slot or two - which is probably the only thing that made them coming over in 2015 viable. 2 UK dates in <2000 capacity venues can't have been a huge earner for them! Something tells me if it happens - it won't be until this time next year at least.

I hope I'm wrong though. April/May time would be perfect :cheesy:

ranyart

Interesting article about the current state of touring...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/oct/28/youre-doing-it-purely-for-the-exposure-why-many-musicians-can-no-longer-afford-to-tour

Given the fact that MMJ has zero live performances scheduled for the foreseeable future (or any future) it's going to be very interesting to see how they move forward in 2023 and beyond given the chaos in their business.  I have got to think that this mess is a big part of why there is no NYE or OBH lurking on the horizon for us.  The frustrating part for me/us is we want to direct cash into the band's pockets but there are only so many ways to do that these days that make sense for us.  We don't do vinyl, the days of CDs are done, so all that really leaves is live events (which there aren't many of and at this point and cancellations >> actual shows sadly in our experience), merchandise (which we definitely gobble up), and streaming (which we know the band doesn't get a fair share of).

And then there's Live Nation raking in money hand over fist especially with their new demand based pricing scheme.  I wonder how much of the bonus cash that comes out of this racket actually makes it to the band?  I'm guessing not much if any...

Meanwhile there's this to ponder https://mymorningjacket.com/events  :cry:

Lucius

I feel for Santigold. She's not had an easy ride in the industry. One of the hardest working artists I've followed over the years, she's incredible, yet her and so many others just seem to get absolutely nowhere. She has some fairly recognisable songs in her catalogue, too - much like MMJ - but the industry just threw her aside. I'm glad 'alternative'/smaller artists and bands are starting to speak up.

I don't have high hopes about seeing many smaller US acts over here anytime soon. It used to feel like a given but now anytime someone makes it over here for a few shows it feels like a miracle! I was due to see Lucius twice in September and similarly they had to pull the plug as it just wasn't working. That one really stung!

I hope things change and I hope the industry can make it work again. MMJ back in the UK/Europe is my absolute dream but I'm happy to sit and wait patiently. It will be worth the wait!!!

Two options that could work:
. Do a small residency somewhere - this worked a treat recently for LCD Soundsystem, who did a short run in London instead of touring the country/Europe. This was mostly to save time & energy but must be a more cost efficient way of performing too!

. Buddy up with another band. I wouldn't want to see Jacket as anything other than the headlining band but could teaming up with another band make touring more feasible? Access to bigger venues, potentially new fans etc. I'd love to see them team up with someone like Lucius, maybe Dawes again! They're both great fun live and also have followings on this side of the pond.

Lucius

Primavera festival in Madrid/Barcelona (how does that work? They playing on the 3rd and the 10th?) just announced! I don't think I can justify for the cost of that trip to see them at a festival but I've got all my fingers crossed for some headlining/indoor dates to be announced either side of it. My bank balance is not ready for this hit but I am :cheesy:

The Lonely European

Quote from: Lucius on Nov 29, 2022, 09:36 AMPrimavera festival in Madrid/Barcelona (how does that work? They playing on the 3rd and the 10th?) just announced! I don't think I can justify for the cost of that trip to see them at a festival but I've got all my fingers crossed for some headlining/indoor dates to be announced either side of it. My bank balance is not ready for this hit but I am :cheesy:

I also hope there will come some indoor dates soon. Otherwise i have never been to Barcelona so maybe its time i go there.  :cheesy:

Im still in shock after i read this. There even came a tear. So happy!

The Lonely European

I dont understand the dates either. Hopefully we get some more news soon.

The Lonely European

If there are no other dates in january i will book my flight to Spain.

The Lonely European

Roskilde Festival is end of june......

Lucius

Agreed that if there are no headlining dates announced around this appearance I will *try* and make Primavera work. But there has to be a tour coming with this!

The Lonely European

Yeah they play 3 and 10th in Spain and end of july they play in US. So im hopefull of alot of concerts in Europe june and july.

Pineapple

Quote from: The Lonely European on Nov 29, 2022, 10:25 AMYeah they play 3 and 10th in Spain and end of july they play in US. So im hopefull of alot of concerts in Europe june and july.

They're booked for at least one US festival in June, so I think it's more likely the Euro leg will be in May/early June with the second weekend of Primavera being their last show before coming home.
If you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me?

The Lonely European

Quote from: Pineapple on Nov 29, 2022, 11:08 AM
Quote from: The Lonely European on Nov 29, 2022, 10:25 AMYeah they play 3 and 10th in Spain and end of july they play in US. So im hopefull of alot of concerts in Europe june and july.

They're booked for at least one US festival in June, so I think it's more likely the Euro leg will be in May/early June with the second weekend of Primavera being their last show before coming home.
Oh ok. I just saw the one in end of July.

Lucius

I'm in Portugal 15-22 May, if that's their week in the UK I may cry... forever :grin: :cry:

ranyart

I see two dates in Spain just got announced...  :beer:

https://mymorningjacket.com/events