Have a My Morning Jacket Xmas!

Started by eiseyrokker, Nov 21, 2008, 07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

So we all own the Christmas EP, right? But that's such a short amount of music to get us in the right mood for the holidays, isn't it?

Well, to remedy that, I give you probably my favorite thing the holidays have to offer: The My Morning Jacket Christmas Special, recorded for WFPK and aired on Christmas Day of 2001. It features such gems as a 'jazzed up' version of Xmas Curtain (my preferred cut, in all honesty), Jim solo on 'Silent Night' and 'O Holy Night' (yes, the infamous shoes interruption originates from here), and beautiful laid-back Santa-fied versions of 'Come Closer,' 'I Will Sing You Songs,' and 'Old September Blues.'

Seriously, as I find myself dragged lifelessly through the holidays by corporate America, this will be the one thing to accompany and uplift my soul throughout the month of December. No amount of bat-shit crazy over-demanding customers could kill my holiday spirit when I've got this gem awaiting me in my car. Seriously. This rip was even from the FM broadcast, so you get all that golden, beautiful happiness of FM warmth right in there with your Christmas spirit. Almost makes it doubly worth it. Close your eyes and you swear you smell a fireplace.

Anyways, enough of my yakkin'. Here it is for you.

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2001-12-25.WFPK

For those of you not savvy with the archive, but with a little iTunes ability, just go and hit "40 MB" next to "VBR ZIP" under the Whole Item header and it'll download the whole thing as a .zip file for you. Just open that up after it downloads and drag to your iTunes and you're all set.

Seriously. Where's my egg nog?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

Ahhh yes.   I actually broke it out about three weeks ago because I couldn't wait any longer!

I love love love the "Santa-fied"  <- ;D version of Come Closer.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

I'm waiting until the Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie is digested. THEN I'll break out the world's best Christmas tunes ever.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

I think this and Vince Guaraldi are all I need to make it to Christmas.

Janet

Tom, you are my hero.  Thank you!!!

vespachick

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

easy way

Snoopy takes his shoes off too!  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

weeniebeenie

I will definitely be playing this on Christmas. Hope the family don't mind...
How loud can silence get?

dhollensbe

QuoteI think this and Vince Guaraldi are all I need to make it to Christmas.

Word...

Two classics that are in heavy rotation...still a bit early for me, have to wait until after Turkey Day.  Although the snow that's been flying around lately has been puttin me in the mood
Dead on the beach,
Is where I wanna make my home......

Sherpa

Many thanks, Tom. The quality is magical.

Crispy

I concur - and I also agree with Brad and the others who wait until after Thanksgiving to start the season. Christmas creep is getting more and more ridiculous!
Oh, and Jim would add this one to the list:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

hizzo

This is great! Thanks a ton!  ;D
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

tomEisenbraun

There's something so perfect about the laid-back FM quality of this show. Glad to see so many new ears on it!

Grateful Chabo

i'll be handling the music when my christmas party rolls around and this gem will be in heavy rotation....thanks for the link tom
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

classicrocker623

Holy wow thanks so much dude this is awesome

g-con

Yea man, this rocks, thanks so much.  I just got into MMJ a little under a year ago, after hearing Dave Grohl (the Foo Fighters have been my favorite since I was 11 years old...almost a decade now) mention "At Dawn" in a few interviews. Now I have EVERY recording they've put out (except the Christmas EP, which I ordered saturday so hopefully will be here by thanksgiving) but this is definitely something I was not aware of.  The quality sounds awesome and I can't wait to throw it on the Ipod later and listen to it as a whole. Much appreciated. Merry Christmas.
"Any book is a children's book if the kid can read."  -  Mitch Hedberg

kydiddle

I concur - and I also agree with Brad and the others who wait until after Thanksgiving to start the season. Christmas creep is getting more and more ridiculous!
Oh, and Jim would add this one to the list:

I love Johnny Mathis!! Sweet.

I am going to hold off on listening as well until after I have stuffing coming out my ears. Then I'll find my santa hat, a smart eggnog and get in the Christmas spirit.

Thanks for posting.
Cow temperature.

tomEisenbraun

Jellyfish

It doesn't appear that you can download or play this anymore from archive.Glad I have it here on disc.Wonderful christmas tunes.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Murph

QuoteIt doesn't appear that you can download or play this anymore from archive.Glad I have it here on disc.Wonderful christmas tunes.

I just downloaded it from archive and it worked fine....btw its AWESOME