Main Menu

Phosphorescent

Started by Murph, Jan 12, 2011, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Ruckus, it would be a trek for you on a Tuesday night, but let me know if you want to go to the Phosphorescent show at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC on March 26.  I'm pretty likely going.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Ruckus

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
Ruckus, it would be a trek for you on a Tuesday night, but let me know if you want to go to the Phosphorescent show at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC on March 26.  I'm pretty likely going.
Wish I could Whippy.  I got a busy April and May coming up so I'm trying to watch the cash flow.  Enjoy the show!  I've only seen them once around three years ago and thought they really came alive in the live setting.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Liked this album from first listen, but now I think its going to end up being my favorite. Ive always liked the bare sound many of his songs had since I first heard of him around 5 years ago, but hoped musically there was a progression. HTTIE was a step towards what I was looking for, Muchacho is like a whole staircase towards that. Favorites are Zula, Muchacho's Tune, and Quotidian Beasts, but there isnt a song I dont like.

Still cant believe Phosphorescent is coming to the Burgh next week. Here and Bloomington are by far the smallest cities on his tour, everywhere else is basically cities everyone tours. Pretty stoked.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

This is darn near a perfect album.  From Zula to booty dropping Ride On Right On to Quotidian Beast, the quintessential (I wish Jim or the Jacket still wrote stuff like this) song.  It just reminds me of Steam or PWW in its classic slow build to climax structure.
I have to find a way to see them next week.

johnnYYac

I decided to see what all the fuss was about and discovered the last 4 LPs are available here for one price of $42.50 plus shipping.  Based on your comments, seems a safe purchase, and includes the new album, out this week.

http://www.scdistribution.com/cart-add.php?action=add_to_cart&catalog=DOC050xbnd02lp&quantity=1&format=Bundle

P.S. This is also the source for Wolf People vinyl releases, including the new one out 4/30.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

The new record alone is worth 42$
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

LBSUNFLWR

yes, I only recently discovered his last album, so this came at a perfect time.
All have been on regular rotation the last few weeks.
And I can't wait for that little show in Bloomington. We are making the ride on a weeknight! One week from tonight!!

e-stone

Pitchfork.tv to Webcast Phosphorescent Performing Live From Our Office on Friday

Phosphorescent Live Stream Teaser (03.22.2013)

if anyone knows how to capture audio from this, it would be greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup:

MrWhippy

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 21, 2013, 07:57 AM
This is darn near a perfect album.  From Zula to booty dropping Ride On Right On to Quotidian Beast, the quintessential (I wish Jim or the Jacket still wrote stuff like this) song.  It just reminds me of Steam or PWW in its classic slow build to climax structure.
I have to find a way to see them next week.

Agree, my Ruckus, Quotidian Beast is awesome.  I like this album more and more with each listen.  And, also yes, you need to find a way to join me for the show next week.

johnnYYac

Quote from: e-stone on Mar 21, 2013, 04:20 PM
Pitchfork.tv to Webcast Phosphorescent Performing Live From Our Office on Friday

Phosphorescent Live Stream Teaser (03.22.2013)

if anyone knows how to capture audio from this, it would be greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup:
From the trailer?  :grin:  I can try, but no promises.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MrWhippy

I saw Phosphorescent last night.  Great show.  The set was most heavy on the last two records, which is what I expected.  The new stuff all sounded great live.

My only complaint is that I would have loved another guitar player in the band.  The instrumentation, besides Matthew on guitar, was two keyboards (one piano sound and one organ sound), bass, a percussionist, and a drummer.  I understand how the two keyboards were needed particularly for some of the new songs, but I would have liked the sound of another guitar in the mix.

Matthew did some stuff solo, which was very cool to see as well. 

LBSUNFLWR

Thanks!

I am going tomorrow in Bloomington. Excited!

Ruckus

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
I saw Phosphorescent last night.  Great show.  The set was most heavy on the last two records, which is what I expected.  The new stuff all sounded great live.

My only complaint is that I would have loved another guitar player in the band.  The instrumentation, besides Matthew on guitar, was two keyboards (one piano sound and one organ sound), bass, a percussionist, and a drummer.  I understand how the two keyboards were needed particularly for some of the new songs, but I would have liked the sound of another guitar in the mix.

Glad to hear it was good Whippy.  A friend and I decided to go late last week but it was sold out and I didn't want to mess with craigslist.  For another time perhaps

capt. scotty

Nice. Seeing them tonight in Pittsburgh for the first time, pretty damn excited. Also recently discovered/started listening to Strand of Oaks since him/them are opening and really liking them as well so just an unexpected bonus. Never been to the venue theyre playing here, but Im pretty sure it only holds 200-300, so I was surprised to see it didnt sell out until today.

What did Phossy play from before the last 2 albums? Im personally hoping for My Dove, My Lamb tonight but I'll be happy with whatever I get.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

Los Angeles is still my favorite overall track of his.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

MrWhippy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 27, 2013, 01:44 PM
What did Phossy play from before the last 2 albums? Im personally hoping for My Dove, My Lamb tonight but I'll be happy with whatever I get.

I only know the last two records, so can't tell you what was played from earlier records.  It wasn't much as there were only 1 or 2 songs I didn't recognize.

LBSUNFLWR

So this show is tonight, in Bloomington Indiana, home of Indiana University who plays their huge Sweet 16 game tonight against Syracuse. I'm a tiny bit bummed I will be missing the game since I have Indiana going to the finals in one of my brackets, and have Syracuse going to the finals in my other bracket. Both will lose to LOUISVILLE in the end but...  :tongue:

I have a feeling that no one from the college or the town will be at this show, which is in a very small venue to begin with. Show time is same as game time!

Tonight me and my 2 friends will get a private Phosphorescent/Strand of Oaks show!!! pretty sweet!!!

capt. scotty

Enjoy LBSUNFLWR! Saw Strand of Oaks and Phossy last night in Pittsburgh and it was fantastic. Honestly, I want to drive to Bloomington and see both bands again, it was that good. I woke up a little after 6am today and couldnt fall back asleep, still feeling a rush from this show. Phossy said it was literally 10 yrs since he played in the Burgh, I told him thanks for that but forgot to ask why the long drought?!

New Anhedonia
Muchachos Tune (first time played! albeit choppy!)
Terror in the Canyons
The Quotidian Beasts (talk about highlight of the show  :shocked:)
Song for Zula
Torn Up Praise
???? (I was born with all this luck)
Wolves (solo)
Heavin Sittin Down (solo)
Los Angeles

Honestly felt like he played twice that amount, but thats right. Strand of Oaks opener played almost exactly 45 minutes, Id be surprised if Phosphorescent did more than an hour but it felt much longer, and in a good way.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
Enjoy LBSUNFLWR! Saw Strand of Oaks and Phossy last night in Pittsburgh and it was fantastic. Honestly, I want to drive to Bloomington and see both bands again, it was that good. I woke up a little after 6am today and couldnt fall back asleep, still feeling a rush from this show. Phossy said it was literally 10 yrs since he played in the Burgh, I told him thanks for that but forgot to ask why the long drought?!

New Anhedonia
Muchachos Tune (first time played! albeit choppy!)
Terror in the Canyons
The Quotidian Beasts (talk about highlight of the show  :shocked:)
Song for Zula
Torn Up Praise
???? (I was born with all this luck)
Wolves (solo)
Heavin Sittin Down (solo)
Los Angeles

Honestly felt like he played twice that amount, but thats right. Strand of Oaks opener played almost exactly 45 minutes, Id be surprised if Phosphorescent did more than an hour but it felt much longer, and in a good way.

nice, thank you!!

It's a 2 hour drive from us and show starts at 9:30, so an hour set may be just right as far as getting back on the road and home at a somewhat decent time for work tomorrow.

Quality vs. quantity, you know? But I'm very excited to hear this stuff live!!

Murph

That is odd, I think Phosphorescent was always made up with 2 guitars.  I do recall reading that his previous guitarist had left though, I guess they just never replaced him.

A Charm/A Blade is my early favorite track by the way