Main Menu

Gary Clark Jr.

Started by columba78, May 17, 2011, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Here's the official video for Numb as well:
http://youtu.be/-7iIaW-qEHQ

This is the Gary Clark, Jr., that I've been wanting.

bold992006

Nasty tone.   Love it.

oistheone

Wow. "Nasty" doesn't even begin to describe that tone. That tone is DISGUSTING. That tone is FILTHY. That tone is FANTASTIC!

Great tune!

TheThird

Quote from: Fully on Oct 03, 2012, 08:01 AM

This is the Gary Clark, Jr., that I've been wanting.

I agree wholeheartedly.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Fully

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Wow. "Nasty" doesn't even begin to describe that tone. That tone is DISGUSTING. That tone is FILTHY. That tone is FANTASTIC!

Great tune!
I love it when you talk that dirty.

lpkell2145

I'm fairly new to this forum and
I don't know who this gentleman is but daaaaang he is smokin' hot!  Not a big fan of hardcore blues but I am intrigued. (I swear I'm not usually this shallow) ;)

20 times I wish you'd understand...

Fully

He's a monster on the guitar. The next time he passes your way, you must go see him. And he IS a very sexy man. Any man who can run his hands over a guitar like that has got to have some other skills!

wolof7

:evil: Holy balls that's some monster storsch, hope the whole album is that heavy :evil:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

marino13

I just got an email that the first bootleg is not coming today and has been pushed back to 10/22.  Was really looking forward to it to tide me over until the album release.  Does anyone know if the bootlegs are downloads or if they are cd's?

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

kotchishm

Only two songs in, didn't like the first that much but song two:

Fully

Here's what I'm thinking while I listen to this:

I don't like song 1 either, song 2 is what I want from my Gary Clark, Jr., songs: Eeeeevul guitar solo.
Third song is a little less bluesy, but it's not terrible. It kind of reminds me of 1990's R&B.

Then there's yet another Bright Lights, Big City. It like this song, but it has certainly already been promoted on his EP. It's almost the only song you can find of his on youtube too.

Then there's something that sounds like Chuck Berry. It's not bad. After the Chuck Berryesque song, there's a pretty good rocker. I wish I knew what these songs were called.

Around 34:50, there is a great song. Fuzzy, dirty grooves. I think this one might be Numb. I like this one the best off this release.
Then there's a song that sounds like it could be from The Platters. Then there's some song where he's trying to get some woman in bed on a Sunday morning. Bleh.

At 48:08 the Gary I love returns. Lots of feedback and distortion. Why can't the entire album be like this? It almost sounds a little Middle Eastern influenced - definitely Hendrix influenced with a little Zep thrown in for good measure.  In fact, I think I've heard him play this in concert. And then he starts singing and the badass disappears somewhat. Oh good,  he shut up and it goes back to being all badass guitar work.

Last song (I think) has a nice fuzzy guitar intro...and then he pusses out. I wish he would be more consistently badass. I might buy the songs on this album that are good, but I seriously doubt I will purchase the entire thing. Gary, just because you can sing in a falsetto does not mean you should try to be Prince.

Oh wait! That's not the last song! This one sounds like old Mississippi swamp blues! This is a much better way to end this album. It sounds like Gary only has half a mouf full of teeth; this one sounds so authentic.

And thus concludes my live blog of listening to Blac & Blu - I might add that I don't care for his misspellings of both of these words.

kotchishm

As a whole I love it.  I like the inclusions of the older tunes minus bright lights.  I like an album that immediately is a good listen and my first time through it's solid.

subinai

i was skeptical after reading reviews about the R&B-ish sounding songs buutttttt i'm 26 minutes in and this shit is hooooooooooot.

bold992006

Quote from: Fully on Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 AM

At 48:08 the Gary I love returns. Lots of feedback and distortion. Why can't the entire album be like this? It almost sounds a little Middle Eastern influenced - definitely Hendrix influenced with a little Zep thrown in for good measure.  In fact, I think I've heard him play this in concert. And then he starts singing and the badass disappears somewhat. Oh good,  he shut up and it goes back to being all badass guitar work.

more than influenced...he starts playing the riff to Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun around the 48 min mark.

Fully

Quote from: bold992006 on Oct 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
Quote from: Fully on Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 AM

more than influenced...he starts playing the riff to Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun around the 48 min mark.
Thanks! I knew I recognized it, but my dementia racked mind could not place it! 

capt. scotty

I dig the album. Of course, Id much rather it be a pure blues album, and When My Train Pulls In and Numb are easily my 2 favorite songs, but I think its a real solid album. Based on how eclectic of an album it is as well as the sound of it, it reminds me a lot of Cody Chesnutt's debut album.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons