Main Menu

Spanish Gold

Started by Crayton09, Aug 21, 2013, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willard1979

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I wasn't that impressed with the album.  The only song I really like is Out On The Street.   :cry:

LB

Glad you had a great time GO4IT. I'm gonna see them in mid-July in a really intimate venue and am really stoked. They remind me of the Black Keys sort of. This venue is small, so I have 95% confidence I'll be able to talk with the band. I was able to chat with the lead singer of TV On The Radio when his solo project stopped by, so I feel like I could talk to Pat. Serious question tho, it's not crossing the line by asking him about the upcoming tour/album/etc?
no you never gotta fight with me

johnnYYac

Can't hurt to ask.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

walterfredo

I don't think I'd feel comfy asking anyone about their 'other band' while on tour with the side project band, but maybe that's just me.

Reminds me a bit of when I saw Chris robinsons brotherhood a couple years back, some drunk asshole up near the stage kept screaming "she talks to angels" loud as shit between songs. Chris got pissed and eventually snapped on the dude and started saying "wrong band bro...wrong band."

rincon2

Quote from: Willard1979 on Jun 07, 2014, 12:37 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here.  I wasn't that impressed with the album.  The only song I really like is Out On The Street.   :cry:
Nothing to be ashamed about. If everyone here had to love Wilco, Dylan, The Dead, A Shakes, NY, then this place would be a Nazi Zombie convention. I personally kinda like the SG album. I hear so many off the wall influences. There were a few clunkers, but that's expected.

LB

what are your favs rincon2? I really like ride on up and day drinkin

rincon2

Quote from: LB on Jun 07, 2014, 12:00 PM
what are your favs rincon2? I really like ride on up and day drinkin
Honestly, I have listened to it 2.5 times on Rhapsody and have not read the titles. I just know the weaker ones are towards the end, maybe just 2. I'll have to get back on specifics after more listens.

GO4IT

Quote from: LB on Jun 07, 2014, 01:47 AM
Glad you had a great time GO4IT. I'm gonna see them in mid-July in a really intimate venue and am really stoked. They remind me of the Black Keys sort of. This venue is small, so I have 95% confidence I'll be able to talk with the band. I was able to chat with the lead singer of TV On The Radio when his solo project stopped by, so I feel like I could talk to Pat. Serious question tho, it's not crossing the line by asking him about the upcoming tour/album/etc?

The reason I didn't ask Patrick about the MMJ album and tour is that I thought it would be somewhat dickish to take them out of the moment with the new album, Letterman, the tour, etc. and by not focusing my comments on Spanish Gold.  And Adrian was right next to Patrick so it was not like I was having a private conversation.  It was obvious enough about my obsession with MMJ when shaking Patrick's hand.  In another setting I may have popped the questions but not in this moment.

rincon2

Quote from: GO4IT on Jun 07, 2014, 11:19 PM

The reason I didn't ask Patrick about the MMJ album and tour is that I thought it would be somewhat dickish to take them out of the moment with the new album, Letterman, the tour, etc. and by not focusing my comments on Spanish Gold.  And Adrian was right next to Patrick so it was not like I was having a private conversation.  It was obvious enough about my obsession with MMJ when shaking Patrick's hand.  In another setting I may have popped the questions but not in this moment.
Critical thinking in action.

IMeMine

Quote from: walterfredo on Jun 07, 2014, 11:00 AM
I don't think I'd feel comfy asking anyone about their 'other band' while on tour with the side project band, but maybe that's just me.

Reminds me a bit of when I saw Chris robinsons brotherhood a couple years back, some drunk asshole up near the stage kept screaming "she talks to angels" loud as shit between songs. Chris got pissed and eventually snapped on the dude and started saying "wrong band bro...wrong band."

I agree, walterfredo, that behavior is obnoxious. But I also don't think it is quite the same as asking someone about their "other band" respectfully after they've played their set. After all, many of us have taken notice of Spanish Gold and are going out to support Patrick because of our devotion to MMJ.  I don't think that's something to hide or feel uncomfortable about.  As GO4IT said the timing didn't feel right and he made a judgment call and I think that that is important.  I believe as long as you don't walk up to him with an objective and you're respectful and the timing seems appropriate that it is acceptable to say whatever is on your mind.  Patrick seems like a pretty approachable normal dude.
Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

walterfredo

I wasn't trying to compare the two things really, just that I was reminded about the CRB incident while thinking about this, definitely not on the same level at all.  And I agree that Patrick is approachable and nice as hell.  Chatted with him briefly after Carl's solo gig at Joe's pub...couldn't have been nicer.  I was just commenting that I wouldn't feel comfortable asking MMJ questions at a Spanish Gold gig.  Nothing wrong with it, I just personally would not. 

IMeMine

I totally understand what you are sayin. I'm personally too shy to talk to anyone myself, so...
Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

jimsflyingv

Quote from: Willard1979 on Jun 07, 2014, 12:37 AM
Out on the Street is the only song that could have been a single. All the other Songs are nothing special, ordinary Rock Songs.
The Album is good but not great, it is a good Album to Play while having a beer with friends on the porch :)

tippitoes22

Saw Spanish Gold last night and Patrick couldn't have been nicer. I spent most of the show screaming "COBRA!", and when security asked me to stop, I totally understood. So I spent the second half of the show screaming "PHONE!" I don't think they heard me cuz they didn't play it, so I drank about 8 shots of woodford reserve to lubricate my throat, and then spent the rest of the show screaming, "RUN THRU". I even tried "Strangulation", but security came over after Patrick threw a drumstick at my face. I assume for being such a good fan. And I think security wanted to make sure I was ok cuz I was bleeding pretty bad. Then I waited in the bar for my"New" best bud Patrick to come out for a dozen or so selfies, and more shots. I could tell we really hittin it off cuz I talked really loud in his face about how much more I like MMJ than any of the MMJ band members solo projects. After the bar closed I waited out front and followed him to the van and talked to him about MMJ and constantly told him that the T5 vinyl set should be released, yelling about how MMJ should release their new album now, cuz I REALLY wanna here it, and complaining about how they haven't released OBH info, and telling him stories about what MMJ songs I like and and how they should let me curate their setlists, and telling him where I WANTED OBH2 to be! I could tell it was going great when he hopped in the van locked the door and drove away without even loading out. Good night for a great fan! I encourage everyone to do the same. Remember to tell him about what YOU want AND where YOU think shows should be AND what bugs you about certain behavior at concerts and where you want OBH2 to be (you know cuz of riff raff, and how YOU can afford it) and, when YOU think they should release THEIR album. From what I could tell all the members of the band, not JUST Patrick, LOVE that stuff. I mean it's not like they spent an entire year long tour letting fans request songs or anything. And it's not like they set up a forum where ppl could actually discuss stuff about you're favorite band, AND THEIR MUSIC, and how they treat their loyal fans with a fan club that gives you presales and Tshirts and vinyl and posters. I mean it's not like they genuinely care about their fans, and just about bend over backwards to make their fans happy, and seem to go out and treat EVERY show like a special event, and try and KILL IT every time they walk on stage...? So keep it up. The constant, I want THIS and I want THAT has got feel great! :thumbsup:!

P.S. Spanish Gold closed with "Poison" - Bel Biv Devoe  -on (6/10/14) Chicago.

P.P.S. I couldn't find the whining, unappreciative fan thread so....

P.P.P.S. For those of you who don't get the joke...look up sarcasm. And for everybody whose gets it, cool. And for the undecided, I regret nothing. I know this forum has a lot of positive, Good Hearted people who are on here because it fuckin hurts, and you ache because you love this band so much, and you just got chills and an itch that cant be scratched. But for the other people, its seems like there has gotten to be so many of these pockets of greediness and just downright dickheaded behavior that I couldn't hold it in anymore.

In all honesty ask Patrick whatever you want. Like you would ask another human being a question. If it feels awkward or your uncomfortable, then its probably awkward and uncomfortable. I met him and it was a down to earth conversation that happened organically as he just happened to be standing behind me while i was talking to some other Chitown fans I know. 

Again, Just one guys opinion.       
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

rjlemons

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Jun 10, 2014, 06:57 AM
Saw Spanish Gold last night and Patrick couldn't have been nicer. I spent most of the show screaming "COBRA!", and when security asked me to stop, I totally understood. So I spent the second half of the show screaming "PHONE!" I don't think they heard me cuz they didn't play it, so I drank about 8 shots of woodford reserve to lubricate my throat, and then spent the rest of the show screaming, "RUN THRU". I even tried "Strangulation", but security came over after Patrick threw a drumstick at my face. I assume for being such a good fan. And I think security wanted to make sure I was ok cuz I was bleeding pretty bad. Then I waited in the bar for my"New" best bud Patrick to come out for a dozen or so selfies, and more shots. I could tell we really hittin it off cuz I talked really loud in his face about how much more I like MMJ than any of the MMJ band members solo projects. After the bar closed I waited out front and followed him to the van and talked to him about MMJ and constantly told him that the T5 vinyl set should be released, yelling about how MMJ should release their new album now, cuz I REALLY wanna here it, and complaining about how they haven't released OBH info, and telling him stories about what MMJ songs I like and and how they should let me curate their setlists, and telling him where I WANTED OBH2 to be! I could tell it was going great when he hopped in the van locked the door and drove away without even loading out. Good night for a great fan! I encourage everyone to do the same. Remember to tell him about what YOU want AND where YOU think shows should be AND what bugs you about certain behavior at concerts and where you want OBH2 to be (you know cuz of riff raff, and how YOU can afford it) and, when YOU think they should release THEIR album. From what I could tell all the members of the band, not JUST Patrick, LOVE that stuff. I mean it's not like they spent an entire year long tour letting fans request songs or anything. And it's not like they set up a forum where ppl could actually discuss stuff about you're favorite band, AND THEIR MUSIC, and how they treat their loyal fans with a fan club that gives you presales and Tshirts and vinyl and posters. I mean it's not like they genuinely care about their fans, and just about bend over backwards to make their fans happy, and seem to go out and treat EVERY show like a special event, and try and KILL IT every time they walk on stage...? So keep it up. The constant, I want THIS and I want THAT has got feel great! :thumbsup:!

P.P.P.S. For those of you who don't get the joke...look up sarcasm. And for everybody whose gets it, cool. And for the undecided, I regret nothing. I know this forum has a lot of positive, Good Hearted people who are on here because it fuckin hurts, and you ache because you love this band so much, and you just got chills and an itch that cant be scratched. But for the other people, its seems like there has gotten to be so many of these pockets of greediness and just downright dickheaded behavior that I couldn't hold it in anymore.

In all honesty ask Patrick whatever you want. Like you would ask another human being a question. If it feels awkward or your uncomfortable, then its probably awkward and uncomfortable. I met him and it was a down to earth conversation that happened organically as he just happened to be standing behind me while i was talking to some other Chitown fans I know. 

I love this story.  :grin:

P.S. I hope you kept that drum stick.

P.S.S. Just FYI - Jim really likes it when you scream "GET IT!" over & over at small intimate shows.

LB

epic story tippitoes. I will probably be talking to him about food ha

millerjustin

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Jun 10, 2014, 06:57 AM

We talked about how great the posters are and how we love Status Serigraph - also discussed where to get ther best local BBQ (Dinosaur BBQ in upstate NY), then chatted about Bonnaroo and how he'll be there with City & Colour - we let him know about our Groop "It Beats for Roo" and he said he'd try to swing by if he makes his way out to roam....

Very nice guy and very approachable.

And btw - you don't have to be so surly, tippitoes22 - we're all pals here
What's in here won't disappear

Santo

Here is a glowing review of the Portland show from Jambase. Wish they came somewhere close to me.  http://www.jambase.com/Articles/122145/Review-and-Photos-Spanish-Gold-and-Clear-Plastic-Masks-Portland

LB

Saw them tonight. They were fuckin great. I recommend going to see them. They have a great energy live, and Dante's voice sounds better than on the album. Plus, they stuck around and were very down to earth.

:thumbsup:

MMJCOBRA

Epic show last night in Birmingham. The new album is totally jumping off the chain in a live setting. There were extended jams, outros, etc and all members seemed to be having a blast.

I really hope Spanish Gold has staying power and isn't just a one off project.  I did tell one of the backup singers that they should be lobbying for a spot on the OBH bill.  :wink:

Was able to meet the rest of the band too and they all signed their LP. When Patrick saw the pathetic pen I handed him he told me that wouldn't do and headed backstage. A minute later he had a metallic gold sharpie that he and the band used on the black album jacket. Very cool night indeed.

LB, I probably saw you at some point last night. I was front and center in the second row.