Main Menu

Spanish Gold

Started by Crayton09, Aug 21, 2013, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I really enjoyed the show.  They played the entire album and played it really well.  The Hamilton is a great, little venue with excellent sound.  You could get as close to the stage as you want with plenty of elbow room or sit at a table farther away.  I'd say there were about 200 people in all.  The band looked like they were having a lot of fun, and all of the members spoke to the crowd and got a little banter going. 

Don't miss SG if they're coming near you.  And brush up on your Bell Biv Devoe so you can sing along during the encore..... "That girl is poison."

It's always great to see a show with Mr. Whippy, Mr. Flake, Mr. Manonthemoon, and Mrs. Manonthemoon.  Definitely a fun Sunday night.

The band hung out after the show and were more than happy to sign album covers or posters (very nice looking poster I should say courtesy of Mr. Status Serigraph).  Patrick and Dante were both super friendly to everyone.

Mr. White

I caught this short piece on Spanish Gold on NPR on my way home today at 4:55 p.m. Here is the headline and the link to the audio of the story.

"From A Band On The Border, The Stories That Shape 'South Of Nowhere'"

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/02/318266822/from-a-band-on-the-border-the-stories-that-shape-south-of-nowhere?ft=1&f=1039

"Spanish Gold is a band out of South Texas, and the band's debut album, South of Nowhere, draws inspiration from life on the U.S.-Mexico border. Singer Dante Schwebel discusses the band's sound and the meanings behind the lyrics."
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ffghtrs

RECORD STORE GOT IN SPANISH GOLD FINALLY!  IT'S SO GOOD!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

GO4IT

Nice NPR piece. Thanks for sharing Mr White.

Can't wait to see them on Thursday.

johnnYYac

Letterman tonight!

bartel

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 03, 2014, 04:10 PM
Letterman tonight!

looking forward to this and can't wait to see them Friday in Philly.

Murph

Man they just played a great show at Mercury Lounge. Tiny little club, probably only holds about 250 and wasn't quite packed, but they still brought it. Everyone sounded great, Dante singled out Patrick for a couple awesome drum solos, and generally it was just a real high energy show. I'm not even a big fan of the record, but I wouldn't miss them if they come around. Also, they killed it with a Bel Biv Devoe "Poison" cover to end the show. They actually said to the crowd that they would be hanging out drinking beers afterward and encouraged everyone to stay and hang, but I had to catch a train. Pretty upset I couldn't drink a beer or two with Patrick...

Ps- they have 2 backup singers who are smoking hot and one does play a bit of omnichord throughout the show.

millerjustin

Quote from: Murph on Jun 04, 2014, 02:16 AM
Man they just played a great show at Mercury Lounge. Tiny little club, probably only holds about 250 and wasn't quite packed, but they still brought it. Everyone sounded great, Dante singled out Patrick for a couple awesome drum solos, and generally it was just a real high energy show. I'm not even a big fan of the record, but I wouldn't miss them if they come around. Also, they killed it with a Bel Biv Devoe "Poison" cover to end the show. They actually said to the crowd that they would be hanging out drinking beers afterward and encouraged everyone to stay and hang, but I had to catch a train. Pretty upset I couldn't drink a beer or two with Patrick...

Ps- they have 2 backup singers who are smoking hot and one does play a bit of omnichord throughout the show.

Right on Murph - same thoughts after seeing them in Saratoga on Monday night - great show with high energy, the back up chicks were a nice surprise, spoke at length with Dante and Patrick after the show (Patrick will be hanging at Bonnaroo with City & Colour guys) - poster is sweet -
What's in here won't disappear

bartel

they smoked it on letterman.

Mr. White

Quote from: bartel on Jun 04, 2014, 12:26 PM
they smoked it on letterman.

Patrick's wild drumming at the end gave it that extra something that got the audience into it and even Letterman, to a degree.

As Letterman was telling the band thanks, I noticed he pointed directly at Patrick and said, "Nice to see ya", like he remembered him from the times MMJ played The Ed Sullivan Theater in the past.

johnnYYac

GO4IT

Even more excited now to see them tomorrow in Baltimore.
http://wtmd.org/radio/first-thursday-concerts-in-the-park/#

Who of y'all are coming?
You can't beat the price.

GO4IT

On the rail. Just saw Patrick. Spanish Gold coming on in 10 min.

johnnYYac

Have a blast, Rob!

GO4IT

Nice set tonight on the Baltimore waterfront.  Ms GO4IT and I were on the rail. They had some issues getting the sound right which delayed their start and probably cut off a song or two given time limitations.  I didn't time it but it was probably about a 40 min set, ending with a rockin' Out on the Street.

After devouring some raw Bay oysters after the set we made our way back to the merch tent and were lucky to find Patrick, Adrian and the backup singers.  We talked to Patrick for a while.  He said his brother had married a Baltimore girl and for about 10 years he was coming up here a lot.  Of course I failed to ask the critical questions concerning when the album would drop and when they would go on tour.  I bought the new album in vinyl and they signed it which was great.  Then I chatted with the backup singers for a while (hey, they were looking a little lonely on the other side of the tent  :rolleyes:). They were still all excited about the Letterman show experience.

I'll post a video or two shortly.

Mr. White

That's killer, GO4IT! I wish I could have gotten autographs at the 3 song rain out I went to. How close were you to the stage?

GO4IT

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 05, 2014, 10:42 PM
That's killer, GO4IT! I wish I could have gotten autographs at the 3 song rain out I went to. How close were you to the stage?
We were on the rail, but there was a fenced-in area for VIPs that kept us about 15-20 feet back from the stage.