Main Menu

At Dawn

Started by AllyDee, Jun 03, 2008, 03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

i listened to at dawn, and sang along, EVERY morning in the show for approximately 1.5 years.

those were the best years of my life.  that was the summer of '69.  me and from guys from school had a band, and we tried real hard.  but jody quit, and jimmy got married.

and formed my morning jacket.

and they hid out for 2 decades.

and then they made at dawn.

and the world life expectancy rate was increased because hearts grew.

Goat Boy

QuoteYou think HM is long, you should check out Cobra on Chocolate and Ice...24 minutes. With that said, I grew up listening to the Grateful Dead, so 7 minutes (and even 24 minutes) is nothing.

I am aware of Cobra.  I am also aware of The Dead even though I lean heavily towards American Beauty and Workingmans Dead.  Live Dead is tremendous though.  That Golden Road boxset looks tempting.  One of my favourite albums is Bitches Brew.  First two songs lasting around 20mins each.  Long songs are not a problem for Goat Boy.  Marquee Moon and Rosalita will be played at my funeral.  Plus probably Fists Of Love by Big Black as I want a song about fisting pumping out when they lower the coffin!  Long songs with not enough ideas or not a good enough idea worth repeating over 7 minutes I don't like however.  Like I said as a 2minute blast halfway through I would like it a bit better.  But not much.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Aye carumba!  

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Love Dogg

Quote ...I want a song about fisting pumping out when they lower the coffin!  

So you're into fisting, huh?  That explains why you don't like Honest Man.   ;)

Regardless of your sexual tendancies, you should really consider cremation.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Bigsky

Quote ...I want a song about fisting pumping out when they lower the coffin!  

So you're into fisting, huh?  That explains why you don't like Honest Man.   ;)

Regardless of your sexual tendancies, you should really consider cremation.

Yes ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D ;D

mymonkeyfriend

it is really great. still love ISM better

freeport

I feel that Honest Man is the odd tune on the album; it is jarring. I like the song but not on the album. It feels like a tune that should've been put on an EP. I feel the same way about The Dark and It's About Twilight Now on The Tennessee Fire.

We should discuss the album now...I'll give my thoughts after work.

Bigsky

I'm sorry, I can't believe Goat is telling the truth.

[size=24]I was just listening to AD from the start...and at the end of Bermuda Highway, it was all calm...I was nice and relaxed...and than all of a sudden...my head explodes with the roar of Honest Man. With it's power and drive I was awakened and revived to survive the rest of At Dawn. Yes![/size]

This song was a blessing...I "leave you kinkin' and screaming."

rob

Anyone who does not like Honest Man does not get My Morning Jacket, and should not even be allowed to purchase their music.

Incredible track.....on it's own.....as well as in the context of the album.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Love Dogg

QuoteAnyone who does not like Honest Man does not get My Morning Jacket, and should not even be allowed to purchase their music.

Incredible track.....on it's own.....as well as in the context of the album.

Word.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

jttouch2

I just dropped the needle on my new copy of At Dawn for the first time with SennHeiser 650's I just had to get for school and....damn. That At Dawn drone intro. this album is so good.

Mr. White

Quote from: jttouch2 on Oct 07, 2019, 12:56 PMI just dropped the needle on my new copy of At Dawn for the first time with SennHeiser 650's I just had to get for school and....damn. That At Dawn drone intro. this album is so good.

Mmmmmm, Sennheisers

So Good!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

RobRoy286

I know this thread is 11 years old but I wanna chime in and say that Honest Man is one of my favorite studio tracks they've ever done.

APR

It's a little ways away, but it would be amazing if they did a 20th anniversary celebration like they did for TFF a few months ago.  Even better if it's at the Cap Theater. 

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: APR on Oct 09, 2019, 01:17 PMIt's a little ways away, but it would be amazing if they did a 20th anniversary celebration like they did for TFF a few months ago.  Even better if it's at the Cap Theater. 

Yay-yes!!!

ericm

Quote from: APR on Oct 09, 2019, 01:17 PMIt's a little ways away, but it would be amazing if they did a 20th anniversary celebration like they did for TFF a few months ago.  Even better if it's at the Cap Theater. 

I like the way you think  :thumbsup:   :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"