Main Menu

Oh Shit....?

Started by eiseyrokker, Jun 03, 2008, 01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

http://www.ae.com/web/77e/music/archives.jsp?name=MyMorningJacket

I hate to be that guy who gets all protective of his favorite band form the masses, but is there any chance that it will of a sudden be "cool" to like the Jacket? Sure, there have been worse fates for bands, but I'd hate to see these guys get latched on to by a teeny bopper audience who thinks it's "cool" or "indie" to dig these guys. I swear I'm not being tha bastard that doesn't want his favorite band to make it huge, I'd just hate to see these guys totally nailed by a ton of people who don't actually care about the music, and then pigeon-holed by rock critics as sell-outs because too many people caught on to the goodness. Does that make sense, or am I still secretly that bastard?

Either way, it makes for some damn good exposure!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Budelman

I guess it's entirely up to the band as to whether they feel the need to sell themselves out to a larger audience. I certainly hope they don't.

I don't think MMJ's music is accessible enough to captivate the minds of the mainstream listener. Come on, for God's sake, if Golden didn't pull in the masses, I don't know what will.

On the other hand, these boys deserve all the attention they can get. Maybe they will help to open the minds of narrow-minded, pop driven audiences.

Either way, good luck boys! The new album of music is exceptional!

I'm so luck to have had them for the last how many years.

ManNamedTruth

I don't know but i wish MMJ would add on to that festival they've put together. I could care less about American Eagle, but at least they put a decent lineup together at a great price. And I even get a free shirt.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Angry Ewok

I hope they're infinitely prosperous. I also hope they remember us when they get there.

;)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

cmccubbin25

I hear what you are saying Tom...I don't want them to turn into a Vampire Weekend (popularity wise, not musically).

I hope they reach great successes, but they have worked too damn hard to be pigeon-holed.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

Ghosts_on_TV

They had One Big Holiday on a comp way back in '03, so it's not like AE is really new to the Jacket. Some bigwig must be a fan. Or something.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Bigsky

So does this mean there will be a bunch of punks at the shows? I remember when Phish got too big...they played in my school's gym and than were selling out MSG. The music was still wonderful, but the crowds suck some times...

capt. scotty

QuoteSo does this mean there will be a bunch of punks at the shows? I remember when Phish got too big...they played in my school's gym and than were selling out MSG. The music was still wonderful, but the crowds suck some times...

Daaamn..whered you go? U of VT? wish i coulda seen them somewhere like that instead on big ass amphitheaters
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bigsky

QuoteSo does this mean there will be a bunch of punks at the shows? I remember when Phish got too big...they played in my school's gym and than were selling out MSG. The music was still wonderful, but the crowds suck some times...

Daaamn..whered you go? U of VT? wish i coulda seen them somewhere like that instead on big ass amphitheaters

I saw them in two gyms: University of Hartford and University of Montana...

capt. scotty

When was this? This b/n 90-91 or something? How were the shows/setlists?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

maybe Volkswagen will start using their music to sell cars.

cmccubbin25

Quotemaybe Volkswagen will start using their music to sell cars.

the Kings of Leon they are not!
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

Jahmazed

Quotemaybe Volkswagen will start using their music to sell cars.

the Kings of Leon they are not!

Or Wilco, eh?  And then probably soon we will hear MMJ on cheesy TV soundtracks like  Grey's Anantomy...    :'(

EC

i am not worried about this in the least.  what else is going to happen?  you can't stay in one place forever - you either quit at some point, or at some point everybody knows who you are.  it's how it goes.  

Love Dogg

Quotei am not worried about this in the least.  what else is going to happen?  you can't stay in one place forever - you either quit at some point, or at some point everybody knows who you are.  it's how it goes.  

So embrace the goodness, even if some of the people are band wagoneers for a minute.  At least MMJ are getting paid enough to keep doing this.  I personally want, by the time I'm 50-60 years old (I'm currently 30) for people to say they are the best band EVER, like people talk about the Beatles or the Stones, etc.  But in order for that to happen, EVERYBODY will have had to've heard them.  

I definitely don't want the opposite to happen.  I don't want them to fold it up because of lack of public support.  

Let's just see what happens.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Dorothy_Mantooth

oh dammit, i just passed out a copy of Z to every 8th grader at O'Henry Middle School today. you guyz don't mind right? i thought it might be kind of badass.com

p.s. i think the major difference is that Vampire Weekend is trying to build their career off a one-liner joke. it's good for about a month (the exact amount of time i enjoyed their cd).
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."