trouble with bar chords

Started by Fluffhead, Nov 17, 2005, 08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffhead

this may sound ridiculous but my index finger is not strong enough to play bar chords on acoustic guitars and it's driving me crazy.. .anybody have any tips on making it stronger... i have been squeezing a capo with my index finger and my thumb..

sweatboard

Just finger the bass note and only strum three strings.  
There's Still Time.........

ratsprayer

i think this thread is a euphemism for sex, folks.

EC

I have a really hard time with those damn bar chords.  I just keep forcing myself to play them.  One thing to remember that helps is to keep your elbow close to the side of your body, and they're easier to play if you're standing up.  My finger is really ridgey when I made it perfectly straight, so I have to curve it a little.

They're a bitch on acoustic guitar for sure.  Just keep forcing.  Try playing for as long as you can stand it ONLY playing them, and see if that can help.  I also find it helps if I do finger patterns while barring - it sounds like shit, but it makes regular chording easier afterwards...

tomEisenbraun

yeah, you don't want to fret it laying your finger flat across the fret. That won't work. So you would lay your finger flat across, and then roll it back a little toward the headstock, so that your on the side of your finger. This'll make it immensely easier.

Also, your string height may be out of whack. Along with having weaker fingers, having your strings way to high will make em damn near impossible. So you may want to get your guitar set up at a guitar shop.

Both those'll make it easier. Plus practice. You just have to build up that finger strength. And to be honest, it's the strength of your whole hand, which will be affected by your wrist angle, so make sure you don't cheat on the wrist angle.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Fluffhead

all right thanks, i know jim has a bitch of a strong hand cause i've seen him do bar chords on an acoustic guitar on about the eleventh or twelth fret

sweatboard

sweatboard

OK, I'm going to quit posting for the evening, I'm to goofy.

aMillionDreams

Jim does have some strong hands... and a big left arm.

Eisey's advice was good.  Practice will build strength.  My problem these days is not strength, but carpal tunnel syndrome.  I've been developing it for years and those damned bar chords do not help things.  

Also, the better your guitar, the easier any chord is to finger.  I learned how to play guitar on an old ass classical guiatr and I couldn't play a bar chord to save my life.  Now I have a Martin and I can play them so that they sound fine minus the seering pain of carpal tunnel.  i played a Taylor at the Guitar Emporium the other day that was so easy to play I thought I had found the answer to my prayer, but then I looked at the tag and realized I was out of my league.

So my advice is get yourself a nice guitar and don't over do it because carpal tunnel is no fun!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

corey

When I first started playing, I used to squeeze Tennis balls or racketballs for 30 minutes at a time. That seemed to help.

DD

QuoteWhen I first started playing, I used to squeeze Tennis balls or racketballs for 30 minutes at a time. That seemed to help.

thats actually great advice.  squeezing a tennis ball (held by your fingertips) will also help reduce carpal tunnel syndrome pain.  it also helps to be sure you are holding the guitar right.

as far as doing bar chords.  i can do them on my 12 string now.  its a matter mostly of practice practice practice.  dont practice with an electric.  practice with an acoustic.  play until it hurts.  take a break, do it again.

but yes, as stated the guitar can make all the difference.  the best thing about practiciing on an acoustic?  its 100 times easier to play electric when you pick it back up.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails